2015 SEASON EXPECTATIONS THREAD OF AWESOMESAUCE!

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Feb 20, 2015.

1. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the best damn thread on BS! Where we get to discuss what expectations you have for this team that we all hold near and dear to our hearts. It's a new year, with new faces, a new formation, new challenges, but the same old RSL. If you've never seen these threads, here are the last few years:

2014: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/2014-rsl-season-expectations.2001284/
    2013: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/2013-season-expectations.1983328/
    2012: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/2012-season-expectations.1898908/
    2011: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/2011-season-expectations.1642129/

So what are the "expectations" for this years team? In the offseason we lost A LOT, we traded Borchers and got Olave, lost Grabavoy AND Wingert plus Velasquez, had to jettison some extremely talented youth in Salcedo, and to pour salt in the wound we lost Plata to a broken foot on the first day of preseason training. We fizzled hard at the end of 2014 and appear to be entering a new era in RSL history with a change in formation, to a 4-3-3 (although I expect to see the diamond a whole lot still). On top of that the Western conference got even tougher with the additions of Houston and KC while Chivas USA folded up shop (blessing in disguise? At least we won't have to worry about losing to the worst team in MLS again). BUT....we're back in CCL! How does the team balance that competition with USOC and MLS regular season?

So how about it? What are your expectations for this team? Do we keep the RMC again? Do we advance out of the group stage of CCL? Do we get into the playoffs? Do you think we're built to make a strong playoff run? Will the new formation catch teams by surprise or will it take time to use it effectively? What are your expectations for the players individually? How will Philips perform replacing Wingert? Does Olave stay healthy and a top CB in the league? Will Jaime prove his (substantial) investment value was worth it? Will Javi continue to produce like last year? Will Gil FINALLY step up and embrace the #10, becoming a force to be reckoned with? Will we all get radiation poisoning from the giant new scoreboard? Will you see UPinSLC get shit-faced at many many RSL games this year?

What say you?

henryo repped this.
  2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My expectations are that I think we'll be a team like we were in 2013, a little bit of an adjustment to start the season with the new formation...BUT I do think we are going to catch teams by surprise with the change in formation. We will need to build chemistry, but our opponents won't recognize this as the same RSL as in years past. I'm hoping for a, so called, ".500" record through the first month or two. I expect us to be better in April than March, and in May than April, so on and so forth.

I expect this team to retain the RMC, it's just become a baseline expectation for RSL these days. I have no idea what to expect for CCL, until we see our group. Hopefully by the time that competition rolls around we have settled into our own skin as a changed team. Luckily I think we have vast amounts of experience in key positions that we can do well and we can get out of our group. Plata will be back and hopefully in shape by then and I expect the team to have gelled.

I expect Jaime to produce, no ifs, ands, or buts. He's getting paid and DLH spent a shitload buying his contract, he needs to put up stats and be an effective contributor to this team. I'm excited for Philips, I believe we haven't seen an outside back of his caliber since Russell left and we should get some good service out of him. I expect Sabo will be the same old Sabo, he'll miss some time with injuries and national team duty, but he'll put goals in quietly while everyone bitches about him being lazy. I don't know what to expect from Gil, I just don't, he's an enigma.

I expect RSL to make the playoffs, even in this conference. I don't think our schedule is horrific, it'll be challenging with the CCL, and I expect the coaches to send out a whole bunch of youth to compete for the USOC.

I expect the team to earn probably ~50 points, maybe sneak into the playoffs in one of the last 2 spots.

And I expect to consume many beers before and during games, hopefully meet some of you, and enjoy me some RSL in person 20+ times this year.

henryo and 15 to 32 repped this.
  3. ravi

ravi Member

Jun 20, 2012
    park city
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) make the playoffs without being in the play in game
    2) make the second round of CC games
    3) Stop losing to basement dwellers since the western conference is going to be much harder

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Last year, I apparently expected RSL to make the playoffs (check) and not lose to a lower-division team in the open cup (whiff).

So I'm tempering expectations this year. We win at least one game in the league, and the team doesn't fold at the end of the season, Chivas USA-style.

5. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 pate, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Expectation and hopes are so bound up that it can be hard to separate them ... I think I come down to something like this:

Players:
    • I expect a lot of competition for starting roles and spots in the 18
    • I hope some of the new(ish) faces will really shine: Phillips, Allen, and Glad are who I'm looking at
    • I'd love to see a player win some major individual accolades - maybe Rimando can finally be recognized as the GK of the Year.

Regular Season:
    • I expect RSL to hold onto the RMC, tally 50+ points, and make the playoffs
    • I hope they'll score some kind of meaningful silverware and qualify for the next CCL

CCL:
    • I expect them to take it seriously and play good looking ball at home and on the road
    • I hope they'll move on from their group, and in a different kind of hope, I'd like to see Academy and/or Monarchs players taken along, whether as staff, consultants, guests (best HS field trip ever!), or loanies - to experience playing in other CONCACAF settings.
    • I'd love to see them build some respect as a team that plays well beyond the confines of MLS and parely that into incoming players (ala Sabo and Gil) and merchandising that helps fill RSL coffers for on and off-field growth

6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL will keep the WMC, get into the playoff and into the knock-out rounds of the CCL.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto but I'm also hoping that we don't get blown out in any playoff game as well. Not seeing the cup final in our future, but I've been known for being wrong once or twice in the past.

Finally, I'm hoping Gil blossoms into his new role as primary attacking mid this year. Please?

8. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similar expectations - advance to the MLS Playoffs and to the CCL 2nd Round, with room to the upside.

If it were a true random draw I'd be less cavalier about the CCL - but seeing as how we're guaranteed to avoid any other MLS or Mexican sides outside of Vancouver (I think)...that makes it less of a hurdle

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine for the team
    1. Make the playoffs. No reason not to with the field. I would also say I want them to not be in the early play-in game. But wouldn't be embarrassed to fall to it given the perceived strength of the West.
    2. Win the RMC. The cRapids have looked really poor in the preseason. Granted, it's preseason, but that team ended the season horrifically - I want that to continue.
    3. Take USOC seriously. I want to win a road game in it this year.
    4. CCL is top priority once it rolls around. So long as we don't get a strong Costa Rica side in our group, I'd say there is no reason to not advance. If we do get a talented Costa Rica side, gotta destroy them at the RioT.
    5. Dynamic style that isn't predictable or easy to breakdown. The diamond was easy to beat if you could hit a diagonal ball. The 4-3-3 shouldn't be that way.
    Fans
    1. Packed RioT every game.
    2. More coordinated noise. No, we won't be the Timber's Army in one season, but I'd like to see the fans start to gel more. Will it happen? Probably not, but I can hope
    3. RMC participation from the fans to expand. Want RMC to be something we all really look forward to not just for the game but because it's an event for the fans.
    4. More large tifo.

Lizzie Bee and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  10. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Need to have some supporters group work on signs above/beyond the 'R-S-L' signs to get fans coordinated near term.

15 to 32 repped this.
  11. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to shut up the drums on the south end in order to get the crowd noise coordinated. Will that happen? Not likely. I know--beating a dead horse, but maybe they could be encouraged to give it a rest occasionally.

One thing I hope, but don't necessarily expect to happen is for Olmes to quit embellishing when he gets bumped. It's embarrassing.

12. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I've learned anything from my many years playing ward ball, my only expectation is that the boys go out there and have fun.

13. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This made me want to go punch someone. Not because of what you said, but from the memories of ward ball. Ugh.

rslfanboy and MOS5 repped this.
  14. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like others, it's tough to decipher what my hopes are from what my expectations are. But basically it boils down to this:

Expectations:
    -make the playoffs
    -deep CCL run
    -meaningful minutes for the young guys

Hopes:
    -win MLS cup
    -win CCL
    -win USOC
    -Supporters shield
    -win RMC
    -Sign Zlatan with our new DP slot
    -Plata/Sabo/Jaime in a 3 way tie for golden boot with a minimum 20 goals each

Sounds reasonable enough right?

Todorojo, acima and MOS5 repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicky still can't even get GK of the year in your hopes?
    Bastard

Todorojo, FC-Sky11, acima and 2 others repped this.
  16. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's only because after he retires, they are going to name it "The Nick Rimando Goalkeeper Of The Year Award"

Ironic huh?

17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Win of a post.

18. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #18 the cup, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    I think I can guarantee we will stumble horribly in the US Open Cup, we wouldn't be RSL if we didn't.

Making it through the first round of CONCACAF is a must, it will be the only way to soothe the wounds of the loss to Monterey.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  19. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sign a big name DP when the league and players announce a done deal

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having a very difficult time coming up with hopes or expectations. I mean, hopes are always, WIN IT ALL, BABY!

But, realistic hopes (said oxymoronically): RSL makes it to the MLS Cup Final, advances to second round of CCL, comes in 3rd or better in the MLS West.

Expectation: Because of the wear and tear of CCL late in the season, no great advancement in playoffs, indeed, may not win play-in game. (IMO, LA understands this and bails on the CCL every year to ensure that they are as fresh as possible for the competition that gets them back into the CCL with the extra allocation money that comes with it.) Winning the RMC. Getting a couple of Open Cup wins, but losing embarrassingly (again) to a team that everyone on the planet knows we should beat (<cough> DCUnited</cough>). Rimando has a solid season, but not as good as last year. Jaime emerges as a top forward even as Saborio's age begins to catch up with him. Phillips is a revelation and shows us what a true crosser of the ball looks like... Beltran pretends to not notice. Schuler gets USMNT call-up, but is not included in final Gold Cup Squad, Rimando & Beckerman are on the squad. Plata comes back agonizingly slowly from his injury... probably not returning to 2014 form this season. Gil breaks out (finally, because, we are all sick of writing that), leaves for Europe in August. NYCFC makes the playoffs because that's the main reason for the expanded playoff format, to give them the best shot of doing that. Borcher's beard is given a slice of tree from Timber Joey, because LOOK AT THAT FREAKING BEARD!!! Olave gets a red card... several... a full house.

UPinSLC repped this.
  21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what needs to happen to get chants coordinated. Anytime the drums are quieter, or actually go with the beat of the chant in the South end, you can usually hear more of the stadium involved. I'm just a few sections over, and honestly have a hard time understanding what the chant is until it's almost done. I figure it's likely even worse if you're on the North end.

I want to see a team that cares. I've honestly felt there were plenty of times over the last few years where nobody seemed to care. The starting 11 was a lock no matter what, so it felt like there was no incentive for the bench to perform, because they weren't going to earn games from it. I want to see honest competition, and actual rotation based on people performing. We better make the playoffs, and keep the RMC. Getting out of the first round of the CCL should also be doable, but I think I'll be ok if that one slips.

Overall I just want to see a team trying to improve. I want to see us go against weaker teams and look to dominate. None of this playing down to the other teams level. If we can beat LA and Seattle, then there's no reason to be losing to last place teams.

22. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Expectations:
    Finish 3rd in the West
    Win CCL Group, we will acquire reinforcements in the summer window to add depth
    Sign 1-2 Attacking Midfielders in the summer window as we will lack creativity and speed in the middle
    Phillips completely changes the RSL attack
    Allen comes back with a fury, wins minutes a la Mulholland last year
    Win RMC, barely, Colorado will be much improved
    LA struggles without Donovan, Gerrard's impact is minimal coming in midseason
    Wheels completely come off of SKC, Vermes is fired
    Garth struggles to gel with Sigi Schmid, Seattle struggles but makes playoffs
    San Jose is surprisingly competitive in the West, makes playoffs
    Dallas starts fast, but implodes half-way through the season and misses the playoffs again

If I get 50% of these right, I will count myself lucky.

23. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I always suck at these so I'll go for something I know will happen

My season expectation:
    Plata is still the shortest ecuadorian player on the team

I hope I don't end up looking like an idiot in 9 months

henryo, pcny, 15 to 32 and 2 others repped this.