2015 SAFF CHAMPIONSHIP

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Afghan-Juventus, Jan 25, 2015.

1. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    So far the results

Sri Lanka 1-0 Nepal
    Maldives 3-1 Bhutan
    Afghanistan 4-0 Bangladesh

2. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    The Afghanistan-Maldives match could be a repeat the last tournament i.e. both teams already assured of semi-final spots and playing their reserves. Personally I wouldn't mind that, as I don't trust Maldives to play against Afghanistan and win...yet.

3. sshah

sshah Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Not having to play India in the semis can be a big incentive for both teams not to mail it in.

4. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Bangladesh might surprise and take points of Maldives to be make this group interesting.

5. Ronnie766

Ronnie766 New Member

Bengaluru FC
    India
    Aug 24, 2015
    India completely dominated Srilanka despite the team being able to assemble only 2 days prior to the game.. Also 5-6 good players missing out due to injuries or not allowed by their clubs.. Coach has to hand out debut to an 18 year old

6. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    India did play against a young Sri Lankan team who are building for the future given no competitive matches until 2022 qualifiers.

India should easily win which they did!

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  7. abhijeetindia

abhijeetindia New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    India too are a completely young and inexperienced side with except Sunil, Subrata and Jeje, Arnab and Robin others have played less than 10 international matches. Constantine testing each and every prospect from Indian leagues to find a balanced 20 men squad who will be representing India for next few years.

8. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Than I guess all teams are young and inexperienced

Every team report in SAFF say the same thing..

Anyway. It's good that these times are getting out there and putting on a good show

9. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Sri Lanka were completely toothless in attack in their two games, but have one step in the semis. They never looked like scoring against Nepal either until that defensive lapse in stoppage time, and relied heavily on goalkeeper Sujan Pereira, who plays his club football in Maldives. Now Nepal must beat India by at least two goals, which I don't see happening. I guess that gives an added incentive for teams in Group B to top their group.

edrees repped this.
  10. Ronnie766

Ronnie766 New Member

Bengaluru FC
    India
    Aug 24, 2015
    India interestingly has handed out debuts to 15 players in 2015!

11. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Maldives 3-1 Bangladesh

12. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Afghanistan 3-0 Bhutan

Afghanistan and Maldives to semifinals

edrees and Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  13. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    India 4-1 Nepal

India and Sri Lanka to semifinals.

14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Well done Sri Lanka. They've had a bad few years so good to see them make the next stage.

I guess they might just want the Maldives. Try to reverse that 10:0 from 2013!

15. Ronnie766

Ronnie766 New Member

Bengaluru FC
    India
    Aug 24, 2015
    India again hands out a debut to a young CB.. Surprisingly he is picked from the local state league.. Has not even played the I league

16. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Afghanistan v Maldives looks to be a interesting match with the winner set to play against Sri Lanka ( draw to Afghanistan will give them top spot too)

17. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Bangladesh 3-0 Bhutan

Afghanistan 4-1 Maldives .

Semifinals on Dec 31 :

Afghanistan vs Sri Lanka
    India vs Maldives

18. abhijeetindia

abhijeetindia New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    India v Afghanistan Final is my prediction. But the squad Constantine has chosen, I don't expect India to win their 7th title..

19. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    But the state leagues feature the I.League sides. So it's a decent battle ground either way.

20. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    #95 edrees, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    I actually think Maldives will bounce back and surprise India in the semis

21. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Afghanistan hands out debut to 19 yo omid hamayouni, and a 4th cap to 19 yo popalzay against Maldives.

All saff teams are young and besides a couple of important players most have less than 10 caps... It's not just India would have come with a young squad

22. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    I think the 4-1 scoreline is not a true reflection of the whole game. I'm really encouraged by the performances of the younger players, but their finishing skills need a bit of polishing, which I'm sure would come in time with experience. What was more concerning was the way our most experienced member, goalkeeper Imran Mohamed kept flapping about yesterday. This tournament is his first competitive match action since rupturing his knee ligaments in July and I fear that it's a bit too soon for him.

Anyway, looking forward to the match against India. I don't think their defense has been tested too much thus far by Sri Lanka and Nepal. Maldives is pretty lethal as an attacking force and I hope our players keep their defenders busy as I really cannot see us being solid at the back anytime soon.

sshah and edrees repped this.
  23. Ronnie766

Ronnie766 New Member

Bengaluru FC
    India
    Aug 24, 2015
    Am quite surprised by the attitude of Afghan fans towards India.. Even the earlier prediction post of Nepal beating India 2-1 was way out of logic.. This may not be the best possible assembled Indian squad but atleast it has all home bred players

24. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Or maybe Indians just overrate their national team and when it goes wrong either blames their manager or brings up the homebred players excuse.

edrees repped this.
  25. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I wouldn't necessarily say that, India are a good saff team however what I dislike is th fact that they feel they are better than what they really are. I always want them to get ahead as a representative of saff.
    I thought they would struggle as Nepal has revamped there squad and India are again in transition given they did quite poor in the qualifiers....

On the other hand Afghanistan have continuously said (AFF and current coach / previous coach) about grassroots and developing domestically... Afghanistan have also had a terrible WC qualification which the coaching personnel change.
    In terms of overseas players, all countries do that, the top countries ensure to select the best squad domestic and overseas, now if India aren't able to do dual passports that's not my problem.