2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 20, 2015.

1. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So to confirm over the course of the World Cup and the Euros which is around 7 games we've scored 3 goals? Pitiful really

2. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    oh dear. this is the best we can pick from our English Academies?

3. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    well when you go into these tournaments with people like Mavididi its no real surprise

4. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    People were questioning why Arsenal signed Adelaide when they had Willock...... well maybe now they can see why

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I said before the games started that I would be happy to get out of the group because of the evident flaws in the team. Those three games were painful viewing though. Alot of talk about philosophy from the FA but we've just seen this lot play pretty much the exact same formation all tournament. With massive gaps between the lines. All tournament. Nothing done. Lack of movement off the ball. Nothing done. When have we ever pressed the ball as a team at a youth tournament at any age group? We don't do anything.

I would not mind the displays at times if I knew what we were trying to do. To me it looked like we played a whole tournament playing a formation that didn't suit our better players in the hope that one of them would be able to conjure up a wonder goal. Almost everything that was attempted as far as I am concerned was reliant on the individual rather than the team.
    At times it feels like the players and team get worse the longer they are away with the coaches.

sendorange and zXen repped this.
  6. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    it is shame that the current U17s and U19s are missing out on a World Cup year as i would love to see how these guys could mix it with the best

7. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    It is a reflection of the quality of coaches. Tactically we are far behind most countries. I don't see why the FA don't bring in top foreign educator to help at SGP (or perhaps even some foreign coaches for the age group levels...), as it clearly isn't looking good enough at most levels.

8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Willock is a superb talent and he was not the problem , too isolated with not one midfielder able to keep the ball and play positively

9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not that anyone cares, but it isn't impossible that we could still find a way to the round of 16. However I'll leave it at that.

10. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    That was pretty pathetic last night for a must win game, I don't understand what the coaches are doing - especially when you see the quality of teams like Chelsea, Man City and Spurs in the youth cup. We'd be better off just sending one of those 3 teams across with a couple of ringers pulled in who would improve them in same coaching structure as the clubs do.

I mentioned a point earlier about players being technically better but that they've lost their English-ness. there is no hustle and bustle to the game, no attempt to unsettle the opposition, no attempt to wear them out and just being relentless at them - it's all so formulaic. You can almost see the cogs turning in players heads when they get ball thinking about what they should do, it's just not natural to them to play this way and it shows big time.

I don't like to criticise individuals in a game like that, but there must be a better central midfielder than Herbie Kane, I mostly watch Category 2 football, and there are players at this level comfortably better than him. His passing is woeful, and I don't mean just the obvious times when he gave it away - he just never plays it into anyone's stride, the amount of times Willock and DeSilva were making a decent break and had to check back to pick up his pass and lose all momentum was ridiciulous. For too long there have been players that get into an England youth side and just stay there regardless of form and improvements in their ability, and it happens all the way up to U21 level (Forster-Caskey).

They must think their talent ID is so good that they treat it as though it is a club side and are reluctant for anyone to drop out of squad and be replaced by an outsider.

sendorange and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Sorry im late to the party but was out last night so recorded the game and only watched it earlier without knowledge of the result!

Cant really add much more to what has already been said but my trust in the English coaches at this level appear to be on the way down if im honest, I mean in a pretty much must win game, who in there right mind leaves out your best attacking threat in Edwards?!? I know he was bullied against Brazil but South Korea are hardly known for there brute force so it would have made sense to play him from the start. I found that decision very strange if im honest! Frustrating! Geeez, have we any decent managers in the English youth set up because it doesnt feel like it at the moment!

12. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We had one but he left. John Peacock.

13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    In fairness, Dewsnip didn't have long to figure out how to get the best out of this squad. Some of his decisions at this tournament are questionable but I don't think he deserves to be written off.

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I said a couple of weeks ago I wasn't expecting anything with this group - I wouldn't have even if The Special One had been coaching them.

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was surprised to hear, last night, that no team with two points had ever got through the group. I just had a quick look at the latest tables (I take it) and the bottom two sides in three groups have fewer than two points with a game each to go (but don't know who they have yet to play).

16. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    New Zealand beat Paraguary so we are officially out. Ah well

17. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah last minute goal for them as well. Probably for the best, couldn't see this team going further, next round game would have been Mali the African champs.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our misery could go on. If France beat Syria and Russia beats Sout
    Yeah just glad it's over. We would've been the least deserving side to go through.

Tbf we were in a very tough group, probably the toughest with group A. Still we were careless several times in dangerous areas. That's how we drew with Guinea and really should've paid for it against Brazil and Korea. Our best players were Willock and Whitman. Edwards and Da Silvia were alright.

19. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Willock had a very poor tournament. The weaker players like Sulaiman and Mavidi did ok, no-one really played noticably well.

20. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Willock was nowhere near our best player imo, if we're comparing to how good we know they can play to how they did play. I thought he went missing for a lot of the tournament sadly. Thought Edwards was better than him. Kane impressed me in one game. Sterling had a good cameo against Brazil.

sendorange repped this.
  21. zanyk

zanyk Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #396 zanyk, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Not sure if serious :cautious:

Don't want to sound like I'm bashing them but this tournament just confirm my opinions about the strikers of this age group being nothing special especially compared to the 95',97' and 99' crops.The non-selected ones did not fill me with confidence as well.Ennis might get his early promotion when they move up to the U19s, or MTC, or both.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    France lost in the round of 16 to Costa Rica on penalties. Wow. South Korea was also bounced in the round of 16. Croatia defeated Germany in the round of 16.

Belgium is the only European team left while Nigeria, Mail, and Mexico remain. Could have an all African final.

23. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    And is African final.

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013