[2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup: Round of 16] Korea vs Belgium 2015/10/28 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Jitevra, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    thank to the coaching staff and the young players for the effort shown from this tourney. i believe the experience gained from the tourney help the young players tremendously later down the line. they'll remember the loss tonight, so will we.

2. edkwolverines

edkwolverines Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    bruh.

STFU.

Hodori and wrecklesssoldier repped this.
  3. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Here's to hoping Lee Seungwoo will get proper playing time at Barça. It really showed how off his form was throughout the entire tournament. On the flipside, Korean defense during group stage was spectacular.

4. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #229 Chaminator, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    IMO we kind of went all in a bit too quickly and paid for the daring Oh SH at CB switch. It was a one goal game and Choi JC IMO forced the issue a bit too much too early with too much on the line, especially when it was obvious that Belgians would be at their best on a counter. But still, that Belgian player did very, very well to score with that shot, top corner leaving the GK with no chance. That essentially killed off the game there. But in all, this really all started from that silly first goal conceded, because that 100% allowed them to play to their strengths throughout the rest of the game.

That missed PK by LSW was just the final nail in the coffin, the morale of our team just went down the gutter after that and just continuously made silly passing mistakes rest of the way. I know everyone takes PKs in a different way they're most comfortable with but personally I've never been a fan of those fake/stutter step shots... I always prefer that it gets hammered in as the shooter always has the advantage in a PK and the shooter should make the most of that, instead of playing mind games. LSW almost missed the one he had vs. Croatia at Suwon Cup in a similar way, and it got saved very easily here when GK never committed. Let this be a big learning experience for LSW... thought he was generally poor today with his touches and pass selection, he has to figure out a way to be able to deal with those huge aggressive defenders. I also thought that throughout this tournament he hasn't been shooting enough, as our ST I felt that he needed to be more willing to take it himself.

Still a good tournament considering how well we played in the group stage, and considering we lost our main CB in the first game and also were without our main LW. We ironically got the wrong end of the stick by finishing first, ending up with a very tough team in Belgium. I feel that tactically and technically they're already very good, but they do have some additional maturing to do mentally, it was exposed when the team happened to go down early.

5. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Shit happens. Deal with it.

6. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The problem is Korea wasn't able to go out from this defensive plan instaured by Choi Jin Cheol. I think under CJC, Korea could play only one way, this one. When Belgium scored, it was already over because Korea was unable to adapt.
    This strategy is good when you score first, but when you concede a goal, it sucks.

Moreover, players lacked of powerful and imagination, that's why they only scored twice during the tournament.

takeuchi repped this.
  7. brood915

brood915 Member+

Oct 14, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    :cautious: This "sourpuss"..

8. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    Even with a man down this team couldn't create any chances except for a freak bicycle kick. They just didn't have enough attacking firepower. Belgium was the worst team to run into in the knockouts because of their direct physical style

Some think lsw is already.a.bust at 17 lol
    I'm still a big believer in his potential. That pk tho

9. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The worst team is Germany

10. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Am I the only one thinking that he actually wasn't selfish enough as far as taking his chances at goal goes? Throughout this tournament I thought he passed too much when he probably should have taken the chance and shot the ball when he's the main ST of the team. This kind of goes back to the o goals total as he wasn't gonna score much if he isn't taking too many shots in the first place. If you are referring the selfishness thing to his dribbling runs that at times seemed a bit forced, then I did see a bit of that but I still think he had improved drastically as far as team chemistry goes compared to the AFC U-16's and the Suwon Cup. And as our star player with the strengths he has (speed and dribbling), I think some degree of liberty does have to be given for him to attempt a few of those each game. Personally I never thought he went too overboard with it this tournament. As far as the PK goes as I said earlier I wish he does away with that stutter step thing and take it more confidently... I have a feeling the Belgian GK scouted this tendency in advance from our Suwon Cup match vs. Croatia where LSW scored on a similar move/kick (although even that one barely just snuck in).

Physicality wise I thought he actually held his own considering his very small size; same with guys like Park SH, there's only so much one can do with one's physical limitation and we faced a very physically imposing team in Belgium today. He'll just have to find other means of dealing with it (like maximizing his speed and quickness) in addition to bit more physical development/growth that hopefully still awaits him. Passing wise he definitely has to improve his accuracy and finesse on, but I do think that he has creativity with what he's trying to do with a lot of those passes. Hopefully with more real match experience the passing accuracy and finesse comes around.

11. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    So there first 10 minutes were really telling and showed how badly outclassed Choi JC was.

To think of all the sophomoric comments about geography and race inferiority complex before the match. SMH...

Ice cube repped this.
  12. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope LSW doesn't take this too hard and think that it's all on him, or have it affect his usual confidence. Even if he scores that there we would have still been down a goal and there was no guarantee we'd come back and tie it. While I'm not the biggest fan of his way of taking the PK, at the end of the day anyone can miss one and some of the greatest in the world have missed them at even more critical moments. Let this be a good lesson for him, better he goes through this now and become mentally tougher for the future.

13. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    really though, Karma is a b!tch. if you're gonna run your mouth and give the other side press clippings, ya gotta deliver. this, and the tournament as a whole i trust, will be another good lesson learned for him.

TigersOfAsia, Hyok, nmssis and 1 other person repped this.
  14. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Now that my anger has subsided a little...
    I do agree with both of these statements, I thought LSW was a little trigger-shy throughout the tournament and in those horizontal-run-across-the-pk box runs he really should've gotten shots off but instead he passed more often than not. Also today he tried way too many short throughballs through a wall of Belgium defenders that were either misweighted or went nowhere..
    I think LSW's ability to hold up the ball / keep the ball despite the presence of defenders bearing down on him is fantastic and at times he can actually win against the defender behind him and make a run forward... impressive stuff.

Is it just me or is it more enraging than consoling when your opponent tries to console you after a game?

15. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Honestly, I feel that interview was blown out of proportion. If one reads the interview as a whole it is more in the jist of how he has a lot of confidence in his own team and how Belgium didn't have any specific quality to the game that stood out which would prevent us from being competitive vs. them in their scouting report. I honestly don't see it as disrespect at all. Perhaps that's overconfidence in his part in his own team but that's different from going out of one's way to disrespect your opponent (as some people have made this out to be).

16. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This kid entertains me like no other Knt player to date. I hope this horrible feeling of a big L makes him even stronger.

nmssis repped this.
  17. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i understand where you're coming from. particularly anything coming out of KOR (either netz or press) can get blown way out of proportion, but in this instance, i just wish he would have put the pedal to the metal on the pitch and let his performance speak for itself. i wish we'd all be debating tonight whether or not his goal celebrations were too outlandish or disrespectful. had that been the case, it would mean we'd most likely gone through.

18. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    tough love

19. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Aight guys help me out here
    "잉글랜드와의 조별리그 3차전에서 푹 쉬어 컨디션이 좋다고 밝힌 이승우는 "전력 분석을 해보니 특별한 것이 없었다"면서 "자신 있게 맞서 싸우면 벨기에를 이길 수 있다"고 강조했다."

That's the quote. Now I can see why people interpret this as a jab at Belgium but I'm fairly certain here he's just talking about how the process of preparing for Belgium is no different that npreparing for any other team. The subject of his sentence is "Analysis" which makes me think he's referring to the process, not saying that Belgium as ateam isn't special. Wouldn't have there been some press article about hubris/cokciness;whatnot? I really don't see any Japan-esque cockiness in this

Hyok repped this.
  20. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I don't know why but I found this really funny and I'm laughing. He's so cute, I want him as a younger brother, lol.

KyopoOhNo repped this.
  21. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Tears make every player get the next level

22. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think in English, it does come across slightly harsher but it is the correct translation. That being said, "there's really nothing special" can still be bulletin material. But he's a young kid and I don't particularly mind it.

23. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    any borderline quote is gonna warped to fit LSW's narrative. which is his eccentric personality. welcome to journalism.

The Hyphen repped this.
  24. leechunsoo23

leechunsoo23 New Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    is it just me or does lsw kinda get fouled everytime he touches the ball?

25. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    For obvious reason, yes. He's the star Barca kid.

Kanuck repped this.