2015 FIFA Club World Cup: Match Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 5, 2015.

1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    technically SA has won 3 in the last 11

also remember that South America has failed to make the final twice - so they have won 3 of the 9 finals disputed

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually SA won 4 of the last 11, and 4 of the 9 finals they played in. I limited it to a decade (3 of 10) because I figured it would be a more reasonable sample. We are after all a decimal society.

cigar_city repped this.
  3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    the new format started in 2005 right?

so by my calculation
    Conmebol won - 3

UEFA won - 8

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are right. The first one was actually in 2000, (and was played concurrently with the intercontinental cup.) So, I counted it by mistake. And I did not count the last one from last night.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, you should. :D

Right now it's 8/10 for Europe looking at the last ten editions. That will become 9/10 if UEFA takes it again next year. And quite frankly I predict that to be the South American success rate going forward. One out of ten. Maybe two if it's a good decade. I predicted this kind of European dominance sooner but credit to CONMEBOL for making it interesting from 2000-2006. Especially that 2000 Boca Juniors side was a fine team.

Things were looking good for the Brazilian Serie A after the Corinthians win in 2012. It looked like the momentum of hosting the 2014 WC would translate into some advances for the club game. Instead we got a very unimpressive Atletico Mineiro in 2013 and two Argentine teams after that. What happened?

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The top three in Europe (Real, Barca, Bayern) are so far above everybody else at this point, that the UCL is becoming like a three-team league. Everybody knows one of the three is going to win it, and that's been the situation for the last five years --although that Chelsea win, based on total bus-parking, was a surprise in 2012.

Otherwise, the three mega-clubs are so far above the competition, they're a new level in soccer not seen before. Barcelona just beat River 3-0, but let's not forget they destroyed Roma 6-1. It's not so much a big gap between Europe and S. America, but between these Huge Three and everybody else in the world.

unclesox, Paul Calixte and Hexa repped this.
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #182 Nico Limmat, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Agreed there is no shame in losing to this Barcelona. They had a nearly perfect year. I say nearly because the Spanish Super Cup slipped away from them, preventing another record six titles as achieved in 2011. Who knows what the gap is below the elite, there is no competition to measure it. The Copa EuroAmericana certainly doesn't qualify as a worthy measuring stick.

Anyway, I'm sure we will see another English UCL victory one of these years. The huge spending has to yield results at some point. The moment that happens I will congratulate CONMEBOL on the spot. In May! :D

AlbertCamus repped this.
  8. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    We (SA) can't keep pace with the best in Europe nowadays. It is a fact.

A real competition would be if the champion of Euro League would go instead of CL...

River vs Sevilha would be a real contest

The only thing the current format shows is the progress of the rest of the world in retalion to SA teams

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Looks like some of the River fans didn't have that same feeling of respect towards Messi at the airport.

10. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    What surprised me was reading that they were also insulting Mascherano, a former River player.

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wouldn´t include Real Madrid. They where just trashed by Barca

Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Rafa is just learning on the job at this point. They're still a formidable rival for Euro teams not named Barcelona or Bayern.