2015 FIFA Club World Cup: General Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by unclesox, Dec 5, 2015.

1. BundesBalon

BundesBalon Red Card

Nov 17, 2014
    Colorado
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 BundesBalon, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Oh That's not fair? All I want is for America to reach the final! LOL By the way, Which Argie team? Barcelona or River? LOL. But I'm getting ahead of myself. America has to play GUANGZHOU EVERGRANDE FC to have a match against Barcelona. I'll have to do my Homework to see if any Mexican Clubs have lost to Asian Clubs in this tournament. to be continued......

2. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bbbut the tourney ain't relevant, lol

3. BundesBalon

BundesBalon Red Card

Nov 17, 2014
    Colorado
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DID I say that? I suspect you are fluent in Spanish. but did the commentator say its a little More or a little less relevant? Is that different than saying is not relevant? I'll have to google translate.

4. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

LOL, oh brother:rolleyes:

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

jared9999 repped this.
  6. BundesBalon

BundesBalon Red Card

Nov 17, 2014
    Colorado
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That did make me laugh. Perhaps your best contribution to date.

River's Japanese Obsession
    This article also estimates the traveling support as 15,000 strong for River, the best since Corinthians brought up to 30,000 to Japan in 2012. Should make things interesting.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  9. whojundy03

whojundy03 New Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hello All,

Im new here.
    Its my first time to watch an international soccer game sanctioned by FIFA.
    I would like to ask if is it okay to bring any dslr camera during the game?
    I will be watching the FC Barceolana - Guangzho Game.

Thanks in Advance

10. whojundy03

whojundy03 New Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  13. Martin NYC

Martin NYC Member

Dec 25, 2013
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, in Osaka currently. Attended the match 2/3 double header and will be at 4/5 tomorrow and match 6 on Thursday. Having a great time in Japan!

unclesox repped this.
  14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Have a good time and share some stories if you can. One of these years I wouldn't mind squeezing in a CWC trip in December, but the tournament is coming back to me soon anyway. :D

15. BundesBalon

BundesBalon Red Card

Nov 17, 2014
    Colorado
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STFU Suarez!!! Just because you are Currently the best 9 in the world doesn't mean Crapola! Just like Mario Kempes. Why is he bringing up the OLD INTERCONTINENTAL CUP? It's been 11 years since the last one was played, Get with the program, Get over it! or Bigsoccer will Ban you because everyone is just sick and tired of it! Enough already! There is no Interest in it. Friggin Suarez!!!

cigar_city repped this.
  16. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Been awhile since I've been there, but Japan is an amazing place, very friendly folks. Food is very underrated and the beer is outstanding. Jealous!

Buena suerte manana este Leproso esta con los Gallons..

17. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    @BundesBalon - Getting to this late but I don't think @SwissGCZ was advocating anything against CONMEBOL but rather commenting on Toyota's withdrawal from yet another FIFA tournament. USED to sponsor Copa Libertadores.

I've said for years now that I cannot understand how this tournament is not held in the United States. Essentially equidistant from South America & Europe, millions of fans, cathedral-esque stadia, great transportation system.

I suppose it makes too much sense...

18. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The USSF must bid for it to have a chance at hosting. And, afaik, they've never bid for it. Nor have they been willing to bid for it. Why? Doesn't interest them, apparently.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Does he berate the current format? No, didn't think so. Just about anyone who actually watched the Intercontinental Cup remembers it fondly (I know I do) and FIFA gives it plenty of recognition in any CWC coverage that they release. The part of your annual act that is getting extremely tired is your insistence to draw a line between the two as you start day-dreaming of a return to the old format.

But I see you are desperate for my attention so let's take this offline.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    MLS Commissioner Don Garber used to be on the CWC organising committee. I would guess the USSF doesn't have the USD 50 million required to bid (combined with grudge feelings stemming from Qatar 2022).

unclesox repped this.
  21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #46 Nico Limmat, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    Using FIFA metrics this has been the worst attended CWC in Japan to date with an average of 34,039 per match. I see signs of saturation, not even "hosts" Sanfrecce Hiroshima really brought out the Japanese event crowd in Yokohama and Osaka (Sanfrecce-River was a home match for River). Understandable in Osaka to a certain extent after Sanfrecce took the J. League title from Gamba. The next time the competition heads back to East Asia after 2016 I would like to see it in China. Make it happen Alibaba!

22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    With the drop in attendance this tournament should travel away from Japan for awhile. The US would be great, but as a region hosting it, not a country. Have it in, say, Florida, and then 5 years later have in Southern California or Texas. All three places would get huge crowds.

I also guess, but would love to hear the reactions of those who are familiar with the areas, that this would be great in Mexico City, or an non-big 5 league European country like Istanbul or Athens (or Amersterdam indoors). Another place would be to get some extra use out of South Africa's World Cup stadiums. It's expensive to move things but I'd think the crowds and the improved atmosphere for television would be worth it.

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #48 Nico Limmat, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    The following associations - other than the ones who got it - pondered a bid in the last few years:

- Australia
    - Portugal
    - Iran
    - South Africa
    - India
    - China
    - Brazil

The main obstacle for many associations is the required USD 50 million guaranteed payment to FIFA in addition to other costs. You either need corporate support (Toyota in Japan) or government funding (UAE and Morocco). Until that changes I foresee a continuation of the current East Asia-Arab World rotation. Hopefully Alibaba helps putting it in China for a bit of variety.

The UAE on the other hand are just fine as regular hosts. :D

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So how are the confederations comparing? Well, if we give 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss then another bonus point for winning the QF, SF, third place match and final, and then divide those totals by # of matches played, we have the following ranking (based on the last 5 years of the CWC):

1. UEFA ...... 13.5
    2. CONMEBOL 8.0
    3. CONCACAF 6.8
    4. AFC ....... 4.2
    5. CAF ......1.5
    5. OFC .......1.5

Note: no points awarded for host teams.

PS.. Let me know if any of you have an idea for a better way to rank the performances of the regions. I think this method I've used is a bit biased against CONMEBOL because almost half their matches are against the UEFA teams for which they will almost always get 0 points.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I struggle to come up with some kind of coefficient given the uneven number of matches and the host team complicates things further. Therefore I mainly focus on top three placements for such a short tournament.