2015 FALL ATTENDANCE THREAD

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Darkwing McQuack, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shermanator

shermanator New Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Tickets sold now over 8000 in Ottawa. Fantastic to see second division soccer alive and well in Canada. Meanwhile, over in Edmonton.... :whistling:

brentgoulet repped this.
  2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The Cosmos had a US open cup game at Belson a few months ago

3. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belson is in the same boat as Hofstra its so expanding it would be a pain. It's also harder to get to for most New Yorker and you can't sell beer there. So I don't think its a viable spot. Also if Elmont doesn't happen I just don't see where they can build a stadium in NYC with the way they currently draw again no one in will allow the Cosmos to build a 25K stadium when you can only draw on average a quarter of that. They may have to move to another location in LI if NYC doesn't pan out.

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    9,346 in Ottawa, well done Canucks :thumbsup:

Sam U El, Prosoccercdn and The One X repped this.
  5. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic turn out!

Sam U El and brentgoulet repped this.
  6. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a good game too, Soccer Bowl 2015 should be a great game between the 2 best teams in the NASL.

P.S. As this is the attendance thread, great numbers!

7. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Dan, are there other options on LI? Better than Hofstra? At least the Cosmos do occasionally draw 10K there; that's not going to happen at Coney Island.

8. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other options as in building a stadium somewhere not playing in a preexisting place. I don't know of any but they should look into finding somewhere to build. I think the best place is the old Newark bears stadium that's currently not in use. They could take it over and remodel it ala the Timbers and have their very own place. The old Cosmos definitely have a strong history in NJ so I think that's an option.

brentgoulet repped this.
  9. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/22/sports/baseball/did-newark-bet-on-the-wrong-sport.html?_r=0

10. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    No, not NJ. The Cosmos website has info about LI on it, the connection to existing youth clubs to their academy is predominately LI; they have made that their priority [with the city] and I think in the long run it's the right move.

With no other pre-existing stadium as an alternative; it's back to square one to get something built.

11. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then there's the very real chance then that they're going to be perpetually a "minor" league team if they stay in LI. Most people from NYC won't go to games and the local Long Islanders will never come out in great numbers. Hell if the Islanders had to move because they couldn't get a stadium deal done in LI then that doesn't bode well for the Cosmos at all.

12. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    If the Cosmos were to set their sights lower, by which I mean a 10k stadium instead of a 25k stadium do you guys think they would have better luck getting the stadium built in Elmont?

13. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Albany wouldn't have let that prime piece of real estate become home to a small stadium. They want a revenue generator and a small stadium wouldn't be it.

14. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I think Dan's right. I'm just surprised the state would turn down 400M investment for Elmont. I'm curious to see what will be better.

15. socceralpha

socceralpha New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Does anyone have information on how ticket sales for the championship game are going? Or is it too early to ask this question?

Oakland_Soccer repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15K if NASL is really interested in D1.

17. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to remember that the Cosmos bid was one of three, and all the others promised to pay for everything out of their pockets. So even though they advertise the whole "we'll pay for everything angle" the other bids promised that as well. Which didn't exactly make the Cosmos bid stand out.

18. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    Per twitter, Hofstra is half sold out....somebody showed a picture of the stadium ticket sales....one side is completely sold out and they are working on selling the other side. So roughly 6k are sold as of this AM.

Sam U El, socceralpha and brentgoulet repped this.
  19. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Decent start.

20. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should be selling out the place for a final, and hopefully they do. It certainly looks that way.

21. socceralpha

socceralpha New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks!!

22. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    as of late Wed night...updated

stadium holds 12k

by the looks of the current tix sold map, I would guesstimate between 8k-9k sold?

still have thu, fri and of course last minute walk-up, but I would say they have a fair chance of selling it out.

[​IMG]

Sam U El, ManuSooner and brentgoulet repped this.
  23. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they do sell it out. I assume this is going to be on ESPN3? Would be nice for a casual fan to find the game and see a sold out, loud crowd for the Final.

24. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe everyone outside of NYC will see it on espn3, if this game follows the past Cosmos way of showing live games then you need to have one world sports to wath it live and since hardly anyone has that channel it won't be seen by many locals. I hope that's not the case as I'd love to check it out.

25. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to be the downer here, but just about every time i've looked into Cosmos tickets, they always have had that side of the stadium completely grayed out, even when it ended up being mostly empty.
    If i'm not mistaken, I believe the TV side of the stadium is the one with the blue available seats. They are likely trying to push those first.
    Hopefully i'm wrong, but I don't see why they would sell out the non-tv side first (almost right away it seemed) before going to the tv side.