2015 Amway Canadian Championship [R]

Discussion in 'Canada' started by fridge46, Feb 5, 2015.

1. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    #1 fridge46, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    Today was released the schedule for this years Amway Canadian Championship:

Preliminary Round
    22-Apr: Ottawa v Edmonton
    26-Apr: Edmonton v Ottawa

Semi-Finals
    06-May: Ott/Edm v Vancouver; Montreal v Toronto
    13-May: Vancouver v Ott/Edm; Toronto v Montreal

Final
    12-Aug: Lowest Seed v Highest Seed
    26-Aug: Highest Seed v Lowest Seed

Winner will qualify for 2016/17 CONCACAF Champions League

fuzzx repped this.
  2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm guessing that seeds 1-3 are based on last year's MLS finish, meaning, in order, Whitecaps - TFC - Impact, while the winner of the NASL match is #4?

3. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    From the link I provided:

This method of seeding has been in place since 2011!

Also, is it possible to change the title of this thread to "2015 Amway Canadian Championship [R]"? Thanks

4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Its great that TD Place in Ottawa is now ready for the start of the season. As well Clarke stadium with the new turf also now can be used.
    I see that they are not prepared to include the USLPro clubs as of yet.
    Calgary so far is speculating on being in the USLPro as a independent opposed to the NASL as of right now. I image that there may be an attempt to get Calgary S&E to partner with the Foothills to have the finical worth that the NASL requires. cost efficient for Calgary S&E already having 4 teams under their brand and the Foothills already having a full academy system right up to the PDL.
    hamilton as well is still planning a NASL club but the delay in the stadium could mean a delay in the start of their first season.

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Done

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not much point seeing as all three USLPro sides are reserves for the three MLS clubs.

Unak78 and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I guess that is a matter of opinion and the objectives of the powers to be. USOC basically includes every club pro and Amatuer with the lower division playing preliminary rounds. USLPro, NASL, then MLS enter in the later rounds in the order of D3, D2, then MLS.
    Right now with the MLS season starting a month ahead of USLPro and NASL.
    USL clubs could play a pool play round the month before their season starts. At a chosen or rotating MLS club site. All three MLS clubs have or will have first class training and practice facilities as well as others in the areas. The top two advance to the next round and visit the current NASL clubs for a knockout game before the start of the USL and NASL season. Then can move into the current rounds that exist.

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I posted this elsewhere, but the split in the schedule will make things interesting from the perspective of team form. A team could be playing badly in May but rolling in August (or vice versa).

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seems to me that a team's current league form has little bearing on how they do in the Voyageur's.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Ha ha. Good point.

In fact, it might even be more accurate to say that their performance in the Voyageurs' is inversely proportional to their standing in the league.

Polygong repped this.
  11. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Under the radar of Montréals CCL antics, the preliminary round was played over the last week:

22-Apr: Ottawa 1-3 Edmonton
    29-Apr: Edmonton 3-1 Ottawa
    Edmonton win 6-2 on aggregate

Semi Finals start next Wednesday (no rest for Montréal!)

06-May: Edmonton v Vancouver
    06-May: Montréal v Toronto

Return legs scheduled for 13-May.

fuzzx repped this.
  12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    If Edmonton's Daryl Fordyce scores another goal, he will become the all time top scorer in this tournament. Right now he is tied with DeRo and Camilo (neither of whom play in the tournament any more) for top spot.

13. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FC Edmonton @ Vancouver Whitecaps draw 1-1 last Wednesday in Vancouver. Return Leg this Wednesday in Edmonton at Clarke Stadium, Eddies played a partial B team yesterday in their league game to rest some of the frontline players. One of the biggest games for NASL's FC Edmonton in their 5 year history. Should be fun!

14. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Only watched the first third, but oh man that ending!

Eddies had their hopes dashed at the 96th+ minute for the 2nd straight season.

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    So I guess Montreal is going to win again.