2015 AFC Asian Cup Australia - Group D Discussion

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Asian Cup 2015 - Australia

Group D
    Japan
    Jordan
    Iraq
    Palestine​

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Fixtures
    12.01 Japan - Palestine
    12.01 Jordan - Iraq

16.01 Palestine - Jordan
    16.01 Iraq - Japan

20.01 Japan - Jordan
    20.01 Iraq - Palestine​

3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Japan and Iraq most likely. Palestine could surprise.

4. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Japan 9 pt
    Iraq 6 pt
    Jordan 1 pt
    Palestine 1 pt

Expect something like this. Key match for second spot is Jordan v Iraq

5. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Purchased my tickets today. Looking forward to this, in order to be successful we will need to prepare well and get some new players in the set up.

Without a doubt, Alexis, Kabir Mustafa, and Khalili will help. Hopefully the PFA goes hard and recruits Dani Schahin (FSV Mainz) Mohammed Darwish (Schalke II) and Amir Felahen (Freiburg II). They're all strikers and I don't think we will get away with playing without a striker against the big boys.

I really hope we don't show up for this thing without a camp and proper preparation. We can get results in this group with the squad currently at our disposal. Even if we go home early this experience should be leveraged during 2018 WCQ.

Suren01 and teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  6. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Palestine can strike from the underdog position and surprise us all. You got some good players.

7. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Exactly. Palestine is familiar to Jordan and Iraq. In fact, if you leave Japan away, it seems more like a WAFF group or something. You'll never know what happens between Arab nations.

8. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Palestine should surprise in this group and I wont be surprised if they make it through to the knockout stages.
    There only problem is the first game, against Japan, its very tough to come away with a point, therefore pressure will be on in the next game against Iraq.

For the nation, and the people of Palestine, I wish them all the success!

Suren01 and (De La)Redstriker06 repped this.
  9. aminou

aminou Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Palestino Santiago
    Palestine friendlies before Asian cup thus far; Morocco, India x2 & China. I like it

10. aminou

aminou Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Palestino Santiago
    I suspect we'll play a friendly in september too if the war stops. If not we won't and should not play. (imo)

11. ioppolo

ioppolo Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Possibly vs Australia in November.

12. aminou

aminou Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Palestino Santiago
    Do you have any source or heard anything, or just a guess?

13. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Not sure if Australia would actually agree to play Palestine, however if they do, It would be great for Palestine..!

I am rooting for Palestine at the Asian Cup!

14. ioppolo

ioppolo Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Have seen a few things pop up on twitter, other than that, nothing.

15. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  16. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    There's no way we pull out and the fact that we have organized friendlies means that we've got the resources to make the trip. Even if Israel blocks everyone from leaving- we'll scour the world for Palestinians to take their place... we didn't work this hard to just quit.

The only question mark will be the participation of players based in Gaza but they have been blocked before (the Challenge Cup finals, for instance) and the team has coped.

Looks like we might be playing Philippines, Myanmar, and Chinese Taipei in September as part of the Peace Cup. That, combined with the three dates in October will give the team plenty of preparation. Australia in November could give us a serious litmus test and we could use lessons from that game as part of the preparations for the opener vs. Japan.

8 games and a training camp? We'll have every chance of pulling off some upsets.

17. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That Australia vs Palestine rumoured matched in November, is nothing but somebody messing around with the Socceroos Wikipedia page. It changed to Australia vs Guatemala, then disappeared, then came back and then was removed again. There is nothing legitimate suggesting it was ever even considered.

18. ioppolo

ioppolo Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Seeing as it was rumoured for Perth, I'll hang onto whatever hope there is :p

19. aminou

aminou Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Palestino Santiago
    We'll play the 'Peace cup' against Philippines, Chinese Taipei and Myanmar in September. Only 'The Azkals' are worthy to play in an Asian Cup preparation campaign, but better than nothing I guess.

20. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Iraq will play in the Gulf Cup ( so at least 3 matches, 5 max) and there are rumours about Russia, Uzbekistan and Serbia friendlies.

21. Ogasawara

Ogasawara Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I wonder weather we (Japan) will participate in this Asian Cup with the A or B Team.

22. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    The Asian Cup is the most important tournament for Asian teams after the World Cup, so it would be a stupid move to send a B-team.

The competition is so strong this time. You have Australia and South Korea who are both strong teams and favourites. Uzbekistan has always been an outsider. Then you have the 3 improved teams UAE, Jordan and Oman which are capable of upsetting giants. UAE won the Gulf Cup last year and qualified easily for the Asian Cup, Jordan finished third in the 2014 WCQ and beat Japan. Oman tied Australia 2-2 and has been a hard team to beat in the qualifiers.

All by all I think there will be a newcomer in this tournament.

23. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Cool story bro.

24. BUDOKAN

BUDOKAN Member

May 31, 2006
    Tokyo
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    No reason to send B team.
    I won't surprise even if Japan's new coach Javier Aguirre cut Honda or Kagawa and it doesn't mean B team.
    I admit Zaccheloni’s 2013 east-asian cup squad was obviously B team. But circumstances are quite different.
    Almost half of 23 men will be from European league I believe.

Meanwhile, Japan confirmed 4 friendly matches so far. And yet confirmed but 2 more matches in November. Rumoured venues are Toyota and Osaka.
    Let's see Aguirre's squad.

Sep-5 vs Uruguay @ Sapporo
    Sep-9 vs Venezuela @ Yokohama
    Oct-10 vs Jamaica @ Niigata
    Oct-14 vs Brazil @ Singapore

25. Ogasawara

Ogasawara Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This wouldn't be too surprising. Its possible that the new coach will call up young players to
    gain more experience and to prepare for the World Cup Qualification. Japan also used a B-Team at
    the Asian Cup 2004 and at the Asian Cup 2007 we also used several young players.
    Of course I hope that Javier Aguirre will use the A-Team like at the Asian Cup 2011 to win the Cup.