2015-2016 Offseason for the SAS (NASL)

Discussion in 'San Antonio FC' started by greenroom, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how they can stay in the NASL ... considering there's no longer an existing NASL license ... and the Spurs have USL rights.

Anyone shocked by that ... is flat out stupid.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  3. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Do you or any others have credible links to the existence of a supposed NASL license? This talk of a License has only come up recently apparently with an amateur blogger in SA mentioning it with regards to Scorpions but no credible mention of it from NASL or other sources that I've ever seen.

NASL clubs pay an initial expansion fee to become a club in the league so Scorpions are supposedly still an NASL club until folded or they pay exit fees to leave the league if they wish to follow that route.

4. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Not shocked at all; then again I am partial to satire, which I believe is the case of the article posted...

@Prosoccercdn No idea, good question. Yet 3 years law as per USSF -probably NASL as well- means one day fees come due to renew. Don't pretend to know the specifics but if the expiry comes without a contingent downpayment, I'd talk to a bank personally...

5. Rangerus

Rangerus Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Falls City TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I would rule out SA being immediately affiliated with an MLS side. It looks like, at least for now in terms of the immediate future, every MLS club has an affiliate under contract for 2016. SA is going to have to go out on their own as far as USL is concerned.

In fact, the longer they wait, I am afraid they are going to be fielding a lame duck NASL Scorpions. Of which I don't have a problem with at all, but I am very disappointed in Spurs Sports and Entertainment, Bexar County and the City of San Antonio for their silence this week during this critical time of uncertainty.

greenroom repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still not sure if NASL will play in SA ever again, but Spurs have announced a USL team for 2016. So no I wouldn't count on any Scorpions for 2016 or ever again.

And there are a few MLS teams without affiliations in 2016, including FC Dallas.

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no reason to doubt Hockman ... I've met/spoken with him several times, and he's a bit more than an "amateur blogger" as he's worked for the Express News here and is in touch with more than one inner circle here.

8. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #58 jrmck, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    The Spurs say they will field a USL team in 2016 ("Although not officially a member yet, Spurs Sports & Entertainment is expected to field a team in the USL in time for the start of the 2016 season.") but have yet to yield any details, so at this point it is mere speculation.

As for FC Dallas, you can read where they announce their 2015 affiliation with Arizona here

9. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way could SSE be MLS2 team for Dallas. It might be a hard enough sale to drop. I think they have to go Indy or very small affiliation.

10. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Then there is the matter of scheduling. Currently, there are an even 28 USL franchises. I'm not sure how the USL organization would deal with an "odd" number of teams for scheduling.

11. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    unlesss the stadium-less Austin Aztex played at Toyota Field for 2016 :)

12. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it is interesting that Austin has a team with no stadium, and San Antonio has a stadium with no team. And what are they going to call this new USL team. They certainly can’t call it the Scorpions. Do they go with the Spanish version “El Escorpiones” or the Sand Scorpions? Or maybe another type of feared desert creature such as the Tarantulas or Rattlesnakes. Or maybe Prickly Pears, Vaqueros or Coyotes, although I think Coyotes is a professional hockey team in Arizona, and Vaqueros is a lower division soccer team in Ft Worth, and the Rattlers are an Arizona Arena Football team. Of course, I am partial to Roadrunners and Swifts. Or, since they are owned by the Spurs, they could be the Spurs FC in the rich tradition of the English side Tottenham. But that might cause confusion being in the same city. Which Spurs, the basketball Spurs or the Soccer Spurs?

The Giants and Rangers have worked through it, though. I don’t know why I care or why I have spent so much energy searching the internet for the latest news. Is there some basic need that is unfulfilled or am I just obsessed with the naming of a new team? San Antonio’s pro baseball teams have been known as the Sunsets, Missionaries, Gentlemen, Bronchos, Mustangs, Warriors, Shamrocks, Aces, Bears, Indians, Bullets, Brewers, Dodgers and Missions. Mustangs are good. I don’t think there is a pro team named Mustangs. Or I thought I would like Conchos, but then I found out that is also the Spanish slang for vagina, so needless to say, that won’t work.

The wife says they should be called the Riders. Which is not unique to San Antonio because until 1992 the WLAF had a team in San Antonio called the Riders which became the San Antonio Texans, a Canadian Football team from 1993 to 1995. And then there is the matter of the Saskatchewan, Ottawa, and Frisco Roughriders.

There are just so many of the good names that have a shattered and tainted history. Can one of the names with ghosts from the past be overcome by creative marketing? As I am not an “inventor of names” and I have played this winless, endless game before which burns through all the positive energy I have, I will have to resolve myself to wait and see what the fates decide. I am hoping it will be “inspirational and awesome.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Spurs control stadium i.e. Where would Scorpions play?
    2. Spurs said they would have a team in 2016 in USL. Maybe they lied, I don't know.
    3. Dallas look to have dropped their affiliation after this season: http://soccerblog.dallasnews.com/20...ion-with-az-united-sc-be-a-one-and-done.html/
    4. SA perfect spot for Dallas affiliation. Well from a FC Dallas perspective, even if its seen as a embarrassment for SA.

14. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I've had discussions with Hockman as well and pointed out errors on his part a couple of times, he writes currently for websites like the Examiner whom anyone can write for as amateurs if they choose - if he's the only one who's brought up this supposed "NASL license" that supposedly expired over a week ago I wouldn't put much stock in it without confirmation from a couple of credible sources.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  15. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it's not you moderator. I, like most Scorpion fans, are just frustrated with SS&E for their silence this week. Hopefully, they will have some big news for us soon.

16. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just SSE where is the announcement from the Scorpions. What's sad if the announcement is not made Monday or Tuesday.. Then it will be another week.

And no way can SSE go from NASL to an affiliate of Dallas. Even for me that would be a hard kill to go.

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    "Affiliate" means that the MLS team loans them a few players. If it is like the affiliation that Houston had with Charleston last year that would mean loaning them 1 player for most of the season. Didn't the Scorpions have players on loan last year from MLS teams? I'm not sure about last year but the Scorpions have had players on loan from FC Dallas in the past.

That would be a "hard kill"?

18. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit confused...why is it SSE that needs to make an announcement about the Scorpions? Shouldn't Hartman, the founder & owner (maybe?) of the Scorpions be making an announcement about the team in 2016? I know they signed a player and have pricing up for tickets next year, but that really doesn't mean anything given the sale of the stadium.

19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no ... people are forgetting this: http://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...nio-scorpions-to-play-at-toyota-field-in.html

The Scorpions will play in 2016, and in Toyota Stadium. That was announced on October 1st. Hartman and the Scorpions HAVE announced .... but things are different now thanks to SS&E.

20. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hailtotheking

Do you really see anyway that both SSE and Scorpions play at Toyota Field?

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not ...

... but as it stands, the Scorpions have announced they'll be playing at Toyota Field in 2016 - AND we have the deal with SS&E/the city for the stadium (and them having USL rights)

... there's still SOMETHING going on behind closed doors as these two things don't jive.

22. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it is only good public relations for both SSE and Scorpions to come out and say something in public. even if it is that we are still working out the details of the relationship and that nothing has changed at this time.

23. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three weeks and no new information from either SAS or SSE. Thinking that neither team is going to field a team or the team they field is going to be so bad.

24. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    as it is getting late in the game, I am beginning to think Scorpions will most likely work out a lease agreement to play 2016 at Toyota. Thus buying time for all concerned.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the Scorpions offer that might help them? Their in an arguably tougher league. No coach. No players. Idiot GM. Is there still a office staff or ticket crew still?

If Spurs started a USL team tomorrow they would only be about 4 days behind what the Scorps could offer at this point.