2015-16 Champions League Predictions:

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey All,
    So the Champions League starts next week, I can't wait. Who else is looking forward to it? So now since the transfer window is practically over I guess its time for some predictions. Here are my group stage predictions:

Group A: Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, and Malmo.
    This will be a fun group to watch, and PSG vs Real Madrid will be really exciting. Real Madrid does have a good team on paper, but last season they seemed to let down a lot of fans, and sacking Ancelotti was really the wrong choice after all as it stands. Benitez is average and I doubt he will bring much. Also something stupid Real did this summer was buy so many attacking players but hardly have any defensive midfielders at all. On the other hand PSG got Di Maria, and they seem to have started the season very well. Last season they impressed me by the way, knocking Chelsea out with a man down, and even though they did get smashed by Barcelona they had an injury crisis and playing with the best team in the world. Shakhtar are a defensive team and I see them causing problems as well. But anyway I think PSG will top it because they made a good transfer and Verratti is at the beginning of his prime. So I'd say:
    1. Paris Saint-Germain, 2. Real Madrid, 3. Shakhtar Donetsk

Group B: PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, CSKA Moscow, and Wolfsburg.

If you ask me, this is not a very competitive group, and will be one of the most boring groups. Anyway Manchester United have had one of the best transfer seasons a club has had this summer. After getting those players, specifically Darmian and Schweinsteiger, I think they will top this group. On paper at least they have a great team, and shouldn't have much problems getting past any of these teams. Wolfsburg have lost De Bruyne and Perisic with Draxler as one of their replacement, but I am not sure how good a team they are honestly. CSKA Moscow and PSV will cause problems to and aren't to be underestimated. But I think CSKA Moscow also has a huge advantage because of the conditions in Russia, and might cause problems on the counter specifically for Wolfsburg. PSV hasn't impressed me much though and lost to Ajax last season in the Eriedivisie who couldn't even make it here. So I think CSKA Moscow will take advantage and grab second place, sending Wolfsburg to the Europa League.
    1. Manchester United, 2. CSKA Moscow, 3. Wolfsburg

Group C: Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Galatasaray, and Astana.

At first when the transfer window opened, Atletico Madrid didn't look like they were using it wisely after selling Mandzukic and Miranda, but now that I look at the team and the players they brought in specifically Martinez, Carrasco, and Gimenez, and also how they started the La Liga, I think Atletico will seriously win this group easily. Diego Simone is a smart manager and should have no problem leading his team to win this. The trip to Astana will be difficult but they will manage. Benfica hasn't had a good season last year, but I think they have what it takes to grab second place in this group sending Galatasaray to the Europa League.
    1. Atletico Madrid, 2. Benfica, 3. Galatasaray

Group D: Juventus, Manchester City, Sevilla, and Borussia Machngladbach.

Now this is the group of death and will be a fun and entertaining group to watch. Also Juventus my team is in it :) Anyway I will start by saying Borussia Machngladbach will not make the top two. Even though they finished third in the Bundesliga last season, it looked like a fluke to me and the Bundesliga was quite weak except for Bayern Munich and many teams underperformed in the Bundesliga. Manchester City have made good transfers and after seeing them play this season, they look very strong. Sevilla put up a great fight with Barcelona in the super cup, and Juventus reached the UCL final last year. Anyway I think Manchester City will top this group because I think they are really hungry for UCL glory and now it seems they have the team to do it, especially with Juve going through a transition season. Juventus reached the final last season but this season I must say they don't have magical creativity with Pirlo and Tevez leaving. Vidal was also a key player that left. I have watched them this season and they look horrible but I think it will change when Marchisio is back. Anyway I think Allegri will find the right tactics for this new Juventus team on time and Juventus will be able to grab second place. Sevilla are a threat to, but its shown that they struggle with counterattacking teams as I see my team (Juve) being one this year. So Sevilla will go to the Europa League. Borussia Machngladbach also just sold their best player and usually go all at attack so I doubt they will cause that much problems for any of these teams.
    1. Manchester City, 2. Juventus, 3. Sevilla

Group E: Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, Roma, and BATE Borisov.
    Okay I think we know who the winner of this group will be. Barcelona should win it obviously and if they don't I would be questioning them. They are the exact same team as last season minus Xavi who didn't even start most of their games. Barcelona should have no problem topping this comfortably. Roma and Leverkusen will be battling this out for second place. I am gonna give a slight edge to Roma because I think they made good transfers this season especially with Salah to speed up the wing and also Garcia adjusted players positions and tactics. After watching us play them in the Serie A they looked impressive honestly and are much better than the Roma last season. Leverkusen is good and did beat Lazio comfortably in the second leg, but I feel Roma is a good bit stronger than Lazio, and Roma will park the bus and counterattack against Leverkusen which shouldn't be hard to do considering Leverkusen is a possession based team, Lazio failed but they were without Klose and plus Anderson and Candreva are not as dangerous as Roma are. Roma will send Leverkusen to the Europa League.
    1. Barcelona, 2. Roma, 3. Bayer Leverkusen

Group F: Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Olympiacos, and Dinamo Zagreb.
    This will also be a fun group to watch. If you ask me I'd say Bayern Munich have the best squad on paper and could possibly win this whole thing but with Pep Guardiola as the coach I can never be sure. Guardiola has ruined this team if you ask me. Anyway Bayern will have too much quality for any of these teams to be able to do much damage to them, so Bayern will be able to top this. Second place is really opened in this group. Arsenal might be favorites but are inconsistent and can embarrass themselves at times. Olympiacos fought hard last season and almost made it, and now they have Finnbogason who I think will shine this season. Also I think Dinamo Zagreb is a really underrated team. They some some good players and will cause a lot of problems for the other teams especially Arsenal I think, however I don't think Zagreb will have much quality to reach the top 2 but might surprise and go to the Europa League. But I am predicting Olympiacos to upset and take second place knocking Arsenal out. Dinamo Zagreb will take points from teams but I don't see them getting a place in the Europa League this season.
    1. Bayern Munich, 2. Olympiacos, 3. Arsenal

Group G: Chelsea, Porto, Dynamo Kiev, and Tel Aviv.
    I think this group is pretty streight forward. Chelsea and Porto will advance, and Dynamo Kiev to the Europa League. The only real debate here is who will win and who will come second. I must say that Chelsea started this season rubbish, and seem to look lost in many games. Terry is aging as well. Porto though have started this season okay and even though they lost some key players, I think they will actually win this group with Chelsea coming in second.
    1. Porto, 2. Chelsea, 3. Dynamo Kiev

Group H: Zenit Saint Petersburg, Valencia, Lyon, and Gent.

Not a very exciting group but we really don't know what will happen exactly with this group though. Valencia look promising in most of their games but Zenit will give them a tough time. Lyon did get second place in the Ligue 1 but the french league is not that good, and I think it was possibly a fluke as well. I think Zenit have a great advantage because of conditions actually and they do have a solid team if you look at them. They did get to the Europa League quarterfinals. However Witsel is leaving which I think is a big loss, so I am tipping Valencia to grab top spot in the last games, with Zenit following them into the second round. Lyon to the Europa League.
    1. Valencia, 2. Zenit Saint Petersburg, 3. Lyon

So what are your predictions? Do you agree with what I said?

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Maccabi Tel Aviv is in the Champions League, but there is also a Hapoel Tel Aviv (who got 5 points in the 2010-2011 Group Stage), so you can't just say "Tel Aviv."

unclesox repped this.
  3. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group A:

Arguably the most straight forward of the groups, Group A features two teams, in Real Madrid and PSG, that have been consistent at picking up points in the group stage over the last few seasons. Although Shakhtar has European pedigree and a considerable home field advantage, they are a class below the big boys.

Prediction: Real Madrid, PSG, Shakhtar, Malmo

Group B:

This is one of the more wide open groups. PSV, the Pot 1 team in the group, are likely least favorites as Manchester United, Wolfsburg, and CSKA Moskva are all more talented. Man U, although out of Europe for a year, have the strongest squad and will likely move on. The battle for second pits Wolfsburg against CSKA Moskva, who, like Shakhtar, have a considerable home field advantage due to travel and weather. Wolfsburg will have a hard time undoing the history of German clubs not named Bayern, Bayer, Schalke, or Dortmund struggling to progress past the group stages.

Prediction: Man U, CSKA Moskva, Wolfsburg, PSV

Group C:

Although not a very interesting group on paper, this group does have some of the best fans in the form of those from Atletico, Benfica, and Galatasaray. Atletico will likely cross the line first as they are considerably stronger than their rivals. The battle for second will be between Benfica and Galatasaray, whose raucous atmosphere will likely propel them past Benfica, who has struggled recently, as have other Portuguese sides, to make a dent in the group stages.

Prediction: Atletico, Galatasaray, Benfica, Astana

Group D:

Of most importance to us Juventus fans, Group D will likely prove to be the group of death... for Sevilla and Borussia Monchengladbach. Much media attention has been focused on this group, and many claim that Juventus will go out early. These predictions are unlikely. Juventus and Manchester City are miles ahead of Sevilla and Borussia Monchengladbach. Sevilla has arguably lost their two best players in Carlos Bacca and Aleix Vidal, and only qualified for the Champions League via the Europa League. Monchengladbach will be the whipping boys of the group as they have a considerably weak squad for even a German CL team (see Wolfsburg). The battle for first between Man City and Juve was already determined...by the schedule: Juve generally start slow but finish strong in the group stages and having the second game at home is a huge advantage. Juve and Man City will likely play to a draw in Manchester due to nerves, leaving the door wide open for a Juve victory come November.

Prediction: Juvenuts, Man City, Sevilla, Monchengladbach

Group E:

This is your typical Champions League group: one clear winner, a battle for second, and a whipping boy. I'll save time and space and only focus on the middle part of the equation. The battle for second between Bayer Leverkusen and Roma will be fierce but ultimately Leverkusen's experience and confidence in the group stage will be to their advantage.

Prediction: Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, Roma, BATE Borisov

Group F:

This is a top heavy group that will play out to a logical and normal conclusion. Bayern Munich are the strongest team in the group and will likely show as much. Arsenal will do just enough to qualify ahead of a tricky Olympiacos, and Dinamo Zagreb will pull up in the rear.

Prediction: Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Olympiacos, Dinamo Zagreb

Group G:

This group is Chelsea heavy; that is, they are by far and a way the best team, as in every other group they have been placed in recent seasons. Porto's experience should propel them past Dynamo, who will play well at home. Tel Aviv will struggle to acclimate.

Prediction: Chelsea, Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Maccabi Tel Aviv

Group H:

This is the group of life. There is no wrong answers for predictions in the group other than that picking Gent anything other than last would be a mistake as they are the weakest side. The battle for the top two spots will be between three evenly matched teams: Zenit, Lyon, and Valencia. Due to home field advantage, Zenit will likely come out of this group as winners leaving Lyon and Valencia to gobble up the scraps. The difference between those two may well be Alexander Lacazette and Nabil Fekir, who both look set to become stars for Lyon and France.

Prediction: Zenit, Lyon, Valencia, Gent

4. Predigy

Predigy New Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Very thoughtful analysis. Use this (http://predict.re/ucl/) to enter a full bracket prediction! It's fast and fun, and you can share the link to you prediction when done.

5. footman2033

footman2033 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Group A ----> Real Madrid, PSG
    Group B ----> Man U, Wolfsburg
    Group C ----> Atletico Benfica
    Group D ----> Man City, Sevilla
    Group E ----> Barcelona, Roma
    Group F ----> Bayern, Arsenal
    Group G ----> Chelsea, Porto
    Group H ----> Valencia, Zenit

6. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Predictions unaffected by matchday 1 results)

A: Real Madrid, PSG, Shakhtar, Malmo - Pretty straightforward
    B: Wolfsburg, Man Utd, CSKA, PSV - Really like this Wolfsburg team and enjoyed watching them last year. I think they'll do well despite their lack of champion's league experience. To me United are a team that lacks the right blend of players to get to the next level.
    C: Atletico Madrid, Benfica, Galatasaray, Astana - Cakewalk for Atleti. Benfica vs. Galatasaray is a toss-up IMO.
    D: Juventus, Man City, Sevilla, Gladbach - Definitely the group of death. Gladbach are clearly the weakest team in this group and should finish bottom. I like Sevilla, but I think Juve and City will just be too strong.
    E: Barcelona, Bayer, Roma, Bate Borisov - Being an Italian soccer fan, I want Roma to advance. However I think the smart money's on Bayer here. They were absolutely brilliant against Lazio in the qualifying round, and they're extremely well-coached. This is going to be a fun group to watch.
    F: Bayern, Arsenal, Olympiakos, Dinamo Zagreb - After today's result I wish I could change this pick, but honestly I did pick Arsenal to advance beforehand.
    G: Chelsea, Dynamo Kyiv, Porto, Maccabi Tel-Aviv - I watched Dynamo Kyiv a bit in the Europa league last year and was pretty impressed. They held onto Konoplyanka, whereas Porto lost Jackson Martinez (although you could argue Aboubakr isn't much of a dropoff). It will be close, but I think Dynamo Kyiv can edge out Porto for 2nd.
    H: Valencia, Zenit, Lyon, Gent - Group of life here, and I think it's the hardest to predict. Lyon are a good side and the Valbuena pickup is nice, but I don't think they'll have enough to make it out of the group.

7. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Dynamo held on to Yarmolenko. Konoplyanka played for Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk prior to moving to Sevilla.

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    New Predictions:

Group A: 1. Paris Saint Germain, 2. Real Madrid
    Group B: 1. Manchester United, 2. Wolfsburg
    Group C: 1. Atletico Madrid, 2. Benfica
    Group D: 1. Juventus, 2. Manchester City
    Group E: 1. Barcelona, 2. Roma
    Group F: 1. Bayern Munich, 2. Dinamo Zagreb
    Group G: 1. Porto, 2. Dynamo Kiev
    Group H: 1. Zenit Saint Petersburg, 2. Valencia

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Group B is probably the closest to call at this point, but despite Man United's first loss, I think they will top it. I knew Dinamo Zagreb was an underrated team before the UCL started and they would surprise, and it seemed they proved me right. For Group G Porto and Dynamo Kiev will advance leaving struggling Chelsea out.

10. matleblanc

matleblanc Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Group A: Real Madrid, PSG
    Group B: Man Utd, PSV
    Group C: Atletico Madrid, Benfica
    Group D: Man City, Juventus
    Group E : Barcelona, Roma
    Group F : Bayern, Arsenal
    Group G : Chelsea, Dynamo Kiev
    Group H : Valencia, Zenit

11. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes. Thanks for the correction!

12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Predictions for Week 2 Matches:

Arsenal 2-1 Olympiacos
    Bayern Munich 3-1 Dinamo Zagreb
    Barcelona 2-0 Bayer Leverkusen
    BATE 0-2 Roma
    Microbi Tel Aviv 0-3 Dynamo Kiev
    Porto 2-1 Chelsea
    Lyon 1-2 Valencia
    Zenit Saint Petersburg 3-1 Gent
    Astana 1-1 Galatasaray
    Atletico Madrid 2-0 Benfica
    Borussia Mochengladbach 1-2 Manchester City
    Juventus 2-0 Sevilla
    CSKA Moscow 2-1 PSV Eidenhoven
    Manchester United 2-2 Wolfsburg
    Malmo FF 0-3 Real Madrid
    Shakhtar Donetsk 1-2 Paris Saint-Germain

13. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    What's a Microbi???

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's supposed to be Maccabi.

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matchday 3 fixtures:

Tuesday:
    Arsenal-Bayern Munich
    BATE Borisov-Barcelona
    Bayer Leverkusen-AS Roma
    Dinamo Zagreb-Olympiakos Piraeus
    Dynamo Kiev-Chelsea
    Porto-Maccabi Tel Aviv
    Valencia-Gent
    Zenit St. Petersburg-Lyon

Wednesday:
    Atletico Madrid-Astana
    CSKA Moscow-Manchester United
    Galatasaray-Benfica
    Juventus-Borussia Monchengladbach
    Malmo FF-Shakhtar Donetsk
    Manchester City-Sevilla
    Paris Saint-Germain - Real Madrid
    Wolfsburg-PSV Eindhoven

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Arsenal 1-5 Bayern Munich
    BATE 1-3 Barcelona
    Bayer Leverkusen 2-2 Roma
    Dinamo Zagreb 2-1 Olympiacos
    Dynamo Kiev 3-1 Chelsea
    Porto 4-0 Maccabi Tel Aviv
    Valencia 3-1 Gent
    Zenit Saint Petersburg 3-1 Lyon
    Atletico Madrid 2-0 Astana
    CSKA Moscow 2-1 Manchester United
    Galatasaray 0-2 Benfica
    Juventus 3-1 Borussia Mochengladbach
    Malmo FF 1-1 Shakhtar Donetsk
    Manchester City 2-3 Sevilla
    Paris Saint Germain 3-1 Real Madrid
    Wolfsburg 2-0 PSV Eindhoven

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    UCL Predictions for this week:

Real Madrid 2-1 Paris Saint Germain
    Shakhtar Donetsk 0-0 Malmo
    Manchester United 2-2 CSKA Moscow
    PSV 1-2 Wolfsburg
    Astana 0-2 Atletico Madrid
    Benfica 2-1 Galatasaray
    Borussia Mochengladbach 0-1 Juventus
    Sevilla 2-1 Manchester City
    Barcelona 3-0 BATE
    Roma 3-1 Bayer Leverkusen
    Bayern Munich 2-0 Arsenal
    Olympiacos 2-0 Dinamo Zagreb
    Chelsea 1-2 Dynamo Kiev
    Maccabi Tel Aviv 0-3 Porto
    Gent 1-2 Valencia
    Lyon 1-3 Zenit Saint Petersburg

18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    UCL Predictions for this week:

Shakhtar Donetsk 0-2 Real Madrid
    Malmo 0-3 Paris Saint Germain
    Manchester United 1-2 PSV Eindhoven
    CSKA Moscow 1-2 Wolfsburg
    Atletico Madrid 2-0 Galatasaray
    Astana 0-0 Benfica
    Juventus 3-1 Manchester City
    Borussia Mochengladbach 2-0 Sevilla
    Barcelona 3-1 Roma
    BATE 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen
    Bayern Munich 3-0 Olympiacos
    Arsenal 1-1 Dinamo Zagreb
    Zenit Saint Petersburg 3-1 Valencia
    Lyon 2-1 Gent

19. Gravizapa

Gravizapa Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Latvia
    Shakhtar Donetsk 1-2 Real Madrid
    Malmo 0-4 Paris Saint Germain
    Manchester United 2-1 PSV Eindhoven
    CSKA Moscow 0-1 Wolfsburg
    Atletico Madrid 3-1 Galatasaray
    Astana 0-1 Benfica
    Juventus 1-1 Manchester City
    Borussia Mochengladbach 2-1 Sevilla
    Barcelona 4-0 Roma
    BATE 0-1 Bayer Leverkusen
    Bayern Munich 5-0 Olympiacos
    Arsenal 3-0 Dinamo Zagreb
    Zenit Saint Petersburg 1-2 Valencia
    Lyon 2-1 Gent

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OMG how did I forget those:

Maccabi Tel Aviv 0-2 Chelsea
    Porto 0-1 Dynamo Kiev

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    UCL Last Group Stage Match Predictions:

PSG 3-0 Shakhtar Donetsk
    Real Madrid 4-0 Malmo
    PSV 2-0 CSKA Moscow
    Wolfsburg 3-0 Manchester United
    Benfica 1-2 Atletico Madrid
    Galatasaray 2-0 Astana
    Manchester City 1-3 Borussia Mochengladbach
    Sevilla 0-2 Juventus
    Bayer Leverkusen 1-4 Barcelona
    Roma 2-1 BATE
    Dinamo Zagreb 0-4 Bayern Munich
    Olympiacos 2-1 Arsenal
    Chelsea 0-2 Porto
    Dynamo Kyiv 3-0 Maccabi Tel Aviv
    Gent 1-2 Zenit
    Valencia 2-0 Lyon

23. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... I was off quite a bit on these. I only got A and F completely right.

24. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You were extremely close on all of them bar group B

shizzle787 repped this.