2014 World Cup Predictions Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Free Sempre X, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With seven days (!) till the World Cup kicks off, here are seven predictions for the tournament. Please share your own, and later we can compare notes--and see how dreadfully wrong or presciently right we were.

#7 - Messi to win Golden Boot.

#6 - Breakout players/ first-time at World Cup: Paul Pogba, Marco Verratti, Ross Barkley.

#5 - Biggest surprises: Belgium and France.

#4 - Biggest disappointments: Germany (injuries, lack of "nasties"), Mexico, Holland.

#3 - My team: Italy will give all just to survive Group D, but last stop is the Quarterfinals vs. Brazil or Spain.

#2 - Best overall players (Golden Ball): Neymar, Messi, Balotelli, Reus, Hazard, Iniesta.

#1 - Winner: Brazil. Semi-finalists: Brazil, Argentina, France, Spain.

2. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I don't think that a good performance from Belgium, especially one that finishes before the semis, can really be considered a surprise at this point.

I agree that France might make a splash. They have plenty of talent and a very easy draw.

I would pick Argentina to win over Brazil. Their attack is terrifying.

3. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would add Colombia and maybe Chile to the surprise list. I'm not sure about France, their playing style is terrible.

Argentina can take it all, but will they make Messi the protagonist or all try to be superstars as usual. The coach is the most important factor here.

jerrito repped this.
  4. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Aguero golden boot

Reus, Pogba, Sturridge

Bosnia biggest surprise

disappointment - Us

my team, will lose to colombia n extra time in the 2nd round or on penalties to brazil in the quarters after being 2-0 up and Balotelli dominates.

Best overall players - Messi { scores winning goal in e.t n final vs germany, maybe the only goal } Di Maria, Aguero, Reus, Klose, Muller,Bastian { if fit } Cavani, Suarez, Oscar, Neymar, Alves, Luiz

winner - argentina, germany runner up. brazil lose pk's to germany semis, Uruguay or holland other semi finallist

5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #5 indestructible, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    #7 - Higuain to win Golden Boot.

#6 - Breakout players/ first-time at World Cup: Paul Pogba, Pjanic

#5 - Biggest surprises: Ecuador, Bosnia

#4 - Biggest disappointments: Belgium. I think they are so good right now that something has to go wrong. Also Holland. I think it's very possible they struggle in the group stage

#3 - My team: Italy. I had them topping and then going out in the quarters. But now I think that england will find a way to finish first. Italy second. I don't think we have the team to get past the quarters and we might even trip up before then.

#2 - Best overall players (Golden Ball): Neymar, Messi

#1 - Winner: Struggled a little with this. Logic says Brazil. I have a gut feeling about the Germans. Lately I feel good about Argentina

jerrito repped this.
  6. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I'd put 100 on Higuain because I don't care and because Argentina have the easy draw, he could score a lot against Iran

vesuviani, jerrito and indestructible repped this.
  7. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #7 Indestructible said this first, but I agree with him. Higuain to win the Golden Boot. I would have said Suarez however if he was 100% in good health.

#6 Breakout players. I am interested to see what Daniel Sturridge will do for England. I watched him at Liverpool this season and I can see why England have high expectations for him. But I truly believe that everyone will be talking about Verratti by the end of this tournament.

#5 Surprises. I simply cannot see Belgium having an excellent tournament. Yes, they are talented and a rising team, but World Cup success does not come quickly. I also do not believe that Argentina will be mentally strong enough to win the tournament, which to their supporters will be a disappointment. As a positive surprise, I can see Ivory Coast going further than expected.

#4 Biggest disappointment in my opinion will be the Netherlands. Team unity is important, and I do not believe that this generation will ever have that.

#3 Italy. This team has a great deal of courage in them, and we have seen them be mentally strong on more than one occasion. Perhaps it is optimism, but I believe we will make it to the semifinals.

#2 Best players. Neymar shined in the Confederations Cup, and I do not see this tournament being any different. Whether he will be the best player remains to be seen, but I do believe he will win the Golden Ball. Really, he only needs to score two goals because they want to give him the award. Messi's history in World Cups makes it difficult for me to favor him for this. A number of Spanish players will qualify in my opinion, but will end up with more than one individual "splitting" the vote, as they say. With Ronaldo nicked, I believe he has no chance as well.

#1 I would love to say that Brazil will crumble under the expectations. But playing at home is just too big of an advantage. I see them winning the Cup, and myself crying in a glass of Bardolino.

*Caro Cuccio - When the tournament is over, please delete this post as it will probably be totally innacurate and I wish to retain some pride. Thank you.*

8. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    This is accurate maybe an Africa team wins I'd like to see that

jerrito repped this.
  9. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Okay here are mine....

#7 Mario Balotelli and Ciro Immobile share the golden boot. Score at least 7 goals each.

#6 Breakout players: Ciro Immobile, Marco Verratti, Mattia De Sciglio, Matteo Darmien, and Lorenzo Insigne.

#5 Biggest Surprise: Italy wins every game by at least two goals and don't concede any.

#4 Biggest Disappointment: None when it comes to Italy. Even Aquilani scores a brace against Brazil.

#3 My team: Italy wins the group with 9 points, and a goal differential of 10. Chiellini takes out Mr Potato Head in the group stages and makes Sturridge cry. We make the finals and crush Argentina 4-0 to win our Fifth World Cup. Like Rocky IV, the crowd starts chanting Italia and waving our flag in unison. Messi asks if he could join the Italian National team since his ancestors come from somewhere in the south...Lavezzi also...then Palacio...then Campagnaro...then Gago etc...

#2 Best Overall Player: Three way tie between Buffon, De Rossi, and Pirlo. Cassano, Candreva, and every other forward is runner-up.

#1 Winner: Italy. Who cares about everyone else....

10. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I see a pattern in your choices I think. Your predictions look perfect.;)

Nek Sanalet repped this.
  11. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Haha. Curious to see who your all-time world cup team would be, in light of your mild bias there :)

By the way, cool avatar. He's the only director I would consider better than Scorsese.

Nek Sanalet repped this.
  12. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    A pattern??? I was being completely unbiased:whistling:.

Well if I was a writer for ESPN I would need to include at least one American player in my starting XI all time. Either that or rank Rooney above Pirlo, like that ridiculous top 50 list they've been unveiling.

Scorsese is great. Strictly english language, I would rank Terrence Malick above him also. Maybe Francis Ford Coppola if we are allowed to ignore his post 70's work. Roman Polanski if you can ignore his post 70's everything, and David Lynch if you like weird.

And to get slightly back on topic…The Conformist is my favorite Italian film. Oh and The Passenger is my favorite Italian film not in Italian lol.

13. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I meant only that many of your players have last names ending in vowels. :D

14. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No love for Cronaldo....

15. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There goes my Reus prediction. :-(

16. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest I think he's knackered. Superb player but coming off an absolutely exhausting campaign. Sad to see so many greats injured for the World Cup--Falcao, Reus, Ribery etc. ...

jerrito repped this.
  17. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    nel calcio come nella vita, o si vince o si muore!;)

I say, Italy wins it all & Cassano is the MVP of tournament ! :)

phat repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also predict Italy will score 3 or 4 goals in the first round. I hope they end up scoring more but that is all I see.

20. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Costa Rica will get slaughtered. I know we dont score a lot of goals but well beat them at least 2-0, if nt 4-0. We have to, 2nd game, well either need to rack up the goals as we lost to england or drew, or well be bouyed from beating them. With Uruguay last we have to have a good result vs costa rica and we may simply need to as it could come down to goal difference. Balo will get a brace if not a hattrick.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope you are right and I am wrong but I don't think so.

22. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  23. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #7 - Messi to win Golden Boot.

#6 - Breakout players/ first-time at World Cup: Paul Pogba, Marco Verratti, Neymar

#5 - Biggest surprises: Italy, Switzerland and Uruguay.

#4 - Biggest disappointments: Belgium and the Netherlands

#3 - My team: Italy.

#2 - Best overall players (Golden Ball): Neymar, Messi, or Diego Costa

#1 - Winner: Germany Semi-finalists: Germany vs. Brazil, Argentina vs. Spain.

jerrito repped this.
  24. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #7 - Balotelli Golden Boot.

#6 - Breakout players/ first-time at World Cup: Paul Pogba, Mateo Kovacic, "the Pescara three"

#5 - Biggest surprises: Chile and Greece

#4 - Biggest disappointments: Germany (injuries, lack of "nasties"), Mexico, Holland.

#3 - My team: Italia: Semifinals. Won't have trouble putting the ball in the net, but injuries might hamper the defence

#2 - Best overall players (Golden Ball): Neymar, Muller, Balotelli, Cavani,

#1 - Winner: Brazil

Free Sempre X repped this.
  25. vesuviani

vesuviani Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I predict I will wet my pants everytime lorenzinho scores