2014 WC Qualifying - Back on Track!

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 17, 2012.

1. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van der Wiel was playing for Ajax until his transfer, and only missed one domestic game for PSG. What I'd like to know is why Siem de Jong keeps getting listed on the preliminary squad. He'll never be good enough for the NT, and certainly isn't good enough in the midfield

2. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    No Tim Krul. Too bad.

Selection for GK is Stekelenburg, Vorm, and Vermeer (first call-up for him?)

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    • Viergever can play football and has to deal with poor midfield at AZ bar Maher. The question is what does Douglas there. We will play bunker teams, so we need players that can create something from the back. Excessive muscle is not needed and besides we already have Vlaar for that on right CB who also plays week in week out in a better league.
    • Van der Wiel bounced back at Ajax first games, had a great assist against NAC and also played a good match for PSG.
    • Afellay has been poor until now. Agree.
    • Ruben Schaken is worse at the left than the right, but has a lot of speed and answers to the winger profile. Who would you push forward? Ola is counting stars at Benfica.
    • Luuk plays along with a team, Wolf does not. We already have pure finishers in Dost and Huntelaar. For speed striker that does finishing Lens is better as he can also create something out of nothing unlike Wolf.
    • Vaart is covering most kilometers at HSV. Last game most of his team bar 1 player. The game before that most of both teams. He is a work horse.
    • Janmaat is not going anyway, but he is good for Feyenoord. Rhijn and Wiel will be selected eventually. Who do you have in mind instead of Janmaat?

4. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van der Vaart is past it. Let's bring back Van Bommel!

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Has a good website those running distances available?

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Why worry about Douglas? We all know he'll never make the definite squad as long as Van Gaal is coach. [sarcasm mode on] But you're right, Douglas has no experience whatsoever against bunkering teams. Twente plays a defensive game after all and all of our opponents in the eredivisie go all out on the attack against us, especially in Enschede [sarcasm mode off]

Elia or Beerens for Schaken. Not even Feyenoord fans rate Schaken as you know.

With your alleged obsession about handling speed I hope you're joking about Van der Vaart.

And why do we need three right backs in the preliminary squad to start off with.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Facing this situation or being put in this situation, does not equate adding big value football wise. I said the same in the U21 thread when Pot put in Nuytinck in the field instead of Gouweleew when we played a minnow. The minnow came on our half 1 time every 45 minutes. That's something a footballing defender can deal with as well. In those cases a Gouweleew can create something against a bunker team. Same thing as with Douglas and for his type we have Vlaar who is footballing wise at the same level and plays on a higher level. He is even made captain of Aston Villa within a record time. Captaincy in England is a serious thing. Go figure.

Fair enough. Both good calls.

When you repeat 3 times "past it", I doubt Derksen is on the other side or a critical football fan:

2 most recent games:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His fitness is one of the best. Now we can discuss if he uses it the right way, but he works hard. I wanted to point this out in a fun way, as players who work so hard must be something you adore to see in the Dutch NT.

We don't. Apparently he feels that these players deserve a signal of encouragement and are close to each other. Against a minnow Janmaat is actually not a bad option. Rhijn is probably more well rounded and defensive a more secure option. A surging Janmaat is a weapon until he stands in front of goal and shoots the ball over. Then again Buttner is as well.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Forgive me but when I see on this Dutch board that Fer is dismissed because all he does is run, and to then subsequently see Van der Vaart's call up defended on the basis of his physical fitness, schiet mij maar lek.

You're not blind I hope. Van der Vaart is not the player he was five years or even three years ago. Considering that the next world cup takes place in two years time, it's time to think of the future. Doorselecteren.

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I won't :). Van der Vaart's football ability is not up for discussion and he gave 2 assists last game and did this, just a few hours ago:

"Past it" in case of VDV is code language for "he can't covers the space on midfield i.e. he is not fit enough anymore. Then it's funny to point out his stats.

If you seriously think VDV is not a good footballer anymore, then you are blind. Spurs fans are sick from losing him and HSV fans are over the moon. VDV is like a wine. Only gets better the older he gets. Against bunker teams his creative pass can open them up. Heavyweight opponents are a problem as he is not able to cut off passing lanes or defend very well.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^I saw both Hamburg matches and van der Vaart was really good. He was all over the field and created some wonderful chances for his team. Affelay on the other hand is not moving off the bench much for Schalke.

11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I wouldn't mind seeing Vaart included for the time being, considering Sneijder hasn't hit his top gear in recent days. I think an extra veteran player is a good option to have, and who knows maybe Vaart's presence will help lighting up Sneijder's pants.

In the long term, though, I surely hope Van Gaal makes the paths clear for the youngsters to take over. Vaart is hardly a solution for the W.C '14, let alone for major tourneys thereafter. I have been pretty happy with LvG's boldness to try new faces thus far. A better approach than the status quo maintained by Van Marwijk. Yet, LvG has done it in a more calculated fashioned than Van Basten did when he was in charge (seemed like Van Basten grabbed some random names from a hat). Some will pan out pretty decent, fingers crossed... as in the case of perhaps Martins Indi and Clasie. Some will need a little more time to adjust (Janmaat, Maher). But the point is, the forward-looking vision is what Oranje needs at the moment. And the best time to test these newbies is in the qualifier matches, not in the last-minute friendlies before championship tournament.

12. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Janmaat no

Vlaar no. Could care less if he is Captain at Villa. The man is a goon who has little pace and so unatheletic.

Lens no. Scores twice against shite Hungary is luck.Van Gaal be real.

Dost no

Luuk De Jong no

Schaken no

I agree VDV can perform and it was a mistake by that twat AVB to cast him aside at Spurs but his days for Oranje are done IMO.

Affelay needs to get his career on track. Needs a fresh start at Schalke.

Give Douglas a run Louis!

Nigel De Jong is missed at Man City and I think he should not be cast aside

Glad to see Vermeer get a call up.

Sneijder our captain still heeds to find top form too.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very interesting selection by Van Gaal (no Clasie or Maher this time around and some older players recalled):

De volledige selectie:
    Doel
    Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma)
    Michel Vorm (Swansea City)
    Kenneth Vermeer (Ajax)

Verdediging

John Heitinga (Everton)
    Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord)
    Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord)
    Nick Viergever (AZ)
    Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa)
    Ricardo van Rhijn (Ajax)

Middenveld

Urby Emanuelson (AC Milan)
    Nigel de Jong (AC Milan)
    Kevin Strootman (PSV)
    Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburger SV)
    Ibrahim Afellay (Schalke 04)

Aanval
    Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04)
    Jeremain Lens (PSV)
    Luciano Narsingh (PSV)
    Robin van Persie (Manchester United)
    Dirk Kuyt (Fenerbahce)
    Ruben Schaken (Feyenoord).

14. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Gaal making zero sense at times.

15. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    With Sneijder being injured it's probably safe to say that Kuyt plays considering he's the 2nd in command. Does anybody know who 3rd Captain is? Is it RVP/Heitinga?

11 out of 20 have an Ajax past. :) I'm glad that another Ajax academy player has made the squad, but Schaken is kind of a facepalm to be called up even though he's an Amsterdammer.

LVG told VI that he's waiting for news from Robben and Mathijssen.

16. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would hope that LVG wouldn't play someone just because they need to captain the team. He should put out his best XI and give the best candidate out of those the armband. I don't like that both Clasie and Anita were left out, but I guess it makes sense with Anita anyway since he hasn't really upped his game since transferring.
    I'm sorry but very little of this makes sense. There's no left back in that selection, only people who could play LB but it's not their primary position, and no left wingers, just right wingers and a striker who could play left wing.
    My XI would be:
    Stek​
    Van Rhijn - Heitinga - BMI - Viergever​
    De Jong​
    Afellay - - van der Vaart​
    Narsingh - van Persie - Emanuelson​
    Alternatively you could drop Afellay for Lens and put Urby in midfield if the great Afellay is too great to do work to win the ball back or pass it around. ​

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We were laughing at Van Basten calling up Denneboom teehee. Schaken is the most idiotic Van Gaal choice, it really is. And just four midfielders and no Clasie. It is bloody insane.

18. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I haven't read all the news feed... can someone illuminate me why Clasie was excluded? Injury? Is he going to play with the U21? Was Van Gaal that dissatisfied with him?

I hope this doesn't have anything to do with DRB taking him off the avatar... :p

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^He is playing on Jong Oranje along with Maher as they have two Euro qualifying matches coming up. This was a decision by Van Gaal. I think someone already commented on this. Clearly, it won't make a difference against Andorra but may against Romania.

20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Van der Wiel is really poor for PSG. I hope he will not play.

21. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Guess who is finally back!!:D

[​IMG]

YankBastard repped this.
  22. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Romania match thread HERE

23. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dutch preliminary squad against Germany on November the 14th:

Keepers:
    1. Tim Krul (Newcastle United),
    2. Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma),
    3. Kenneth Vermeer (Ajax),
    4. Jeroen Zoet (RKC Waalwijk)
    Defense:
    1. Daley Blind (Ajax),
    2. Douglas (FC Twente),
    3. John Heitinga (Everton),
    4. Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord),
    5. Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord),
    6. Joris Mathijsen (Feyenoord),
    7. Ricardo van Rhijn (Ajax),
    8. Nick Viergever (AZ),
    9. Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa),
    10. Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord),
    11. Gregory van der Wiel (Paris Saint-Germain),
    12. Jetro Willems (PSV)
    Midfield:
    1. Ibrahim Afellay (Schalke 04),
    2. Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord),
    3. Urby Emanuelson (AC Milan),
    4. Marco van Ginkel (Vitesse),
    5. Nigel de Jong (AC Milan),
    6. Siem de Jong (Ajax),
    7. Adam Maher (AZ),
    8. Kevin Strootman (PSV),
    9. Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburger SV)
    Attack:
    1. Bas Dost (VfL Wolfsburg),
    2. Eljero Elia (Werder Bremen),
    3. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04),
    4. Dirk Kuyt (Fenerbahçe),
    5. Jeremain Lens (PSV),
    6. Luciano Narsingh (PSV),
    7. Robin van Persie (Manchester United),
    8. Arjen Robben (Bayern München)
    9. Ruben Schaken (Feyenoord).

25. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So the two new kids are Daley Blind and Marco van Ginkel.

It's funny Blind is there now. It also says that Dutch left back situation is not optimal. I think all options there have their weaknesses. Martins Indi is hyped, but against Belgium on that spot he passed dangerously to the wrong man, giving away a big chance. He also was close at giving away a penalty against Romania. Then again he heads in set pieces and has a sweet through pass. Willems also gave away a big chance against Turkey and at club he is now trying to nutmeg attackers in front of his own goal. Blind has all kinds of deficiency's (slow, bit clumsy, not good defensive overall), but he has probably looked at many football situations and started to think how to prevent them from happening in the first place or solving it in a way he can deal with it better using his strong side (football).

Truth is, that from these 3 there is not 1 clearly better IMO. Maybe Indi at this moment is a bit better than the other 2 as he can also score, heading in set pieces. His reliable defensive side is a bit overrated for me at the moment. Indi still makes mistakes in almost every game at club. Even against VVV, so the differences at left back are still not that big at all.

Midfield, the rise of van Ginkel was only a matter of time. If we have 1 distributor spot (Sneijder/VDV), 1 DM spot (de Jong, Clasie) and 1 vertical mobile midfielder spot (Strootman, Afellay, Fer, Maher) then I would lock van Ginkel down for this last spot. Van Ginkel will pose a danger for all 4 very soon. Strootman brings metal and presence to a midfield, Afellay a bit of everything (football, stamina, a bit of defense (though not that much)) and Fer brings metal, goals and stamina. Van Ginkel could go further than all other 3 potentially. Van Ginkel makes actually a lot of fouls. He has to battle at club, as everybody knows Janssen and Pröpper/Cziomer won't. Van Ginkel actually has to clean up all the mess on midfield at Vitesse at his young age. Then he still finds the breath to run forward all the time and set up one-two's (as he can run with ball very well) or get close to the goal and score or assist. Van Ginkel is a great footballer, is a hard worker, is a creative player, is a dynamic player and a scoring player. Plus no danger as party pooper. Dutch NT is so now and then it's own biggest enemy, with infighting. Van Ginkel is a very happy camper by nature and even lifts up other people around him. He will be an instant van Gaal favorite. Bet on that. Van den Brom and Rutten also loved him instantly. Has nothing to do with him being slimy with coaches. Has to do with him being a true professional. His father was also a pro footballer (as other family members) and as a result he is raised with a pro mentality. That takes away an extra worry for coaches and they love to have players they never have to worry about.

Orange14 repped this.