2014 USLPRO lineup?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by bullsear, Aug 4, 2013.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a really good price. I wonder if you would ever see a LAG II fan who is not really a LAG fan? That would be a little odd.

Rochester's least expensive tickets are $99 for the season while the most expensive are $220.

2. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very fair ... I just don't remember seeing a lot of affiliation rumors until they were officially announced. Some maybe, but for sure not EVERY rumor.

3. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't happen! I was told that the processing would get complicated and it wouldn't be easy!

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can loan back and forth, it doesn't matter.

Very likely Galaxy II will consist mainly of players who won't be expected to play for the MLS club in 2014. Though I would imagine some will.

You don't have to "sell." You can loan. But you can't be registered to more than one club at one time, per USSF's registrar. (Whether they'll actually consider them to be separate clubs - as the wording would seem to imply - or not is another issue. Again, this hasn't been done before, so I'd have to ask.)

thomas19064 repped this.
  5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't say complicated. Said there's paperwork. It's not as simple as calling a guy's cell at 6pm PT and telling him to get over here and suit up for the MLS team. That's all I ********ing said.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why on Earth would you do that?

"Yeah, I don't like these guys named Donovan and Keane, but I'm all on in that 18-year-old."

7. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to get you all riled up my friend. I know there will be paperwork and was just having fun!

8. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perhaps he means attends LA2 games and not the MLS games? I suppose that could happen if you are a Galaxy fan and can't afford tickets to the senior team and can only swing tickets for the USL team?

9. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That actually sounds like a lot of big soccer posters...:rolleyes:

RobtheAggie repped this.
  10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Mark Sanchez, surely.

blkbrnrvr repped this.
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

1982 Tampa Bay Rowdies game program story about Rowdies II.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets see if Blues manage to survive another season before we declare it a rivalry. Just playing in relatively close proximity does not automatically make them rivals. Galaxy fans know that with their supposed rivalry with Chivas.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody didn't read somewhere that they can't exactly find that you'd have first dibs on affiliate players? ;)

Also, USSF is looking into how players will move back and forth. I will let you know when I know more.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's absolutely true.

But DO look at this: In 2011, there was one western team, on an island figuratively if not literally. Now there are four. IF the Blues and/or Phoenix don't fold before 2015, you add Colorado Springs and you have five. If you want to consider Oklahoma City to be western (it's farther west than Dayton, anyway), they and Tulsa would make seven. San Diego would be eight. (Of course, Sacramento will be in MLS by 2016, don't you know, so they'll lose them, either way.)

But where there was once the hope for a western conglomeration, now there is the nub of one. And soon, perhaps, an actual one. Two eight (or ten) team conferences with no crossover play would be fine, yeah?

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An article from November featured an interview with the president of USL Pro:

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20131109/ARTICLES/131109650#gsc.tab=0
    "Holt would ideally like to field multiple conferences. With Phoenix, Los Angeles, Sacramento and Oklahoma City, Holt said the league needs only two more teams in that region to form a second conference. Depending on the number of MLS "B" teams and outside interest, Holt would not mind expanding to three conferences."

So yeah, I definitely expect that if teams don't fold, we'll see conferences come to USL Pro in 2015. I don't know about *no* crossover play, but certainly a heavily regionalized schedule.

kenntomasch repped this.
  18. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love a regional schedule with some crossover.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking ahead, obviously, to 2015:

EAST
    Charleston
    Charlotte (new franchise)
    Dayton
    Harrisburg
    Louisville (possible replacement for Orlando)
    Pittsburgh
    Richmond
    Rochester
    Wilmington

WEST
    Colorado Springs
    LA Galaxy II
    Oklahoma City
    Orange County
    Phoenix
    Sacramento
    San Diego
    Tulsa

Obviously, if you lose the Blues or the Wolves, it puts a bit of a kink into it. But you'd be at 9 and 8 and if you added one more western team, you'd have 9 and 9 and you could conceivably just play home-and-home with everybody in your conference and then make one or two trips to the other conference.

21. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2015, I fully expect several MLS teams to start their own franchises, including Seattle and Dallas. So even if a team or two folds, they'll have enough for a viable western conference.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh absolutely that'll be fine. But that still doesn't make them rivals. I feel like "rival" get thrown around far too often without any regard for what a true sports rival actually is. The Cascadia teams are rivals, San Jose and LA are rivals. Being in the same conference or even city does not make one rivals. As LA and Chivas learned. You can't just declare a team a rival. It has to develop organically or it becomes the butt of jokes like the Honda Game-no-one-gives-a-shit-about.

23. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so lets say the rumors about San Diego, FC Tucson, and a Seattle Sounders owned side in Tacoma are true for 2015. Not to mention Dallas FC starting their own usl pro side in 2015, and the only rumored expansion in the east is the New York Red Bulls considering to start a usl pro side. It seems to me we still would have unbalanced conferences. No, I'm afraid we're gonna have to let this play out to see what's what as far as conferences go. One thing's for sure it's gonna be an interesting 2014 season and off season leading into 2015 kinda makes it a soap opera doesn't it stay tuned for the next episode of as the ball turns lol.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I forgot about Tucson. Never know what they might do. Or how Phoenix might or might not influence that.

I wouldn't worry about unbalanced conferences. Life in D3 is rarely symmetrical.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle is now thinking about Tacoma? Where would they play, the dome?