2014 Season Results

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Riverhounds' started by buzz99, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why aren't folks tuned in on game comments. C'mon dudes and dudettes.

2. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Unfortunately I think it's just you and me

3. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sigh. Maybe a win will get people hyped again. It's easy to criticize the club but remember, while still trying to find the right line ups, we are 2 ties and 1 loss on the road against arguably the 2 best teams (at least last year) with a win just slipping thru our fingers and going with our back up GK for the first 3 matches. A few strikes off the cross bar and some tough referee calls didn't help us at home against Wilmington. The schedule doesn't get any easier with Charleston next up, but I'm thinking 2-1 win!

4. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Justin - what's up? Too late with subs against Richmond while leading and no subs against battery when strikers gassed and midfield unable to connect for scoring chances? If you're short of strikers and midfielders, maybe you play 4-4-2 instead of 3-5-2 and save some legs for later in game. Instead, all your runners were burned at about the 75 min. mark when Battery was subbing and becoming more dangerous. At least you softened them up for Rochester.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheCup.us 5/7;@usopencup
    2014 @usopencup Rd 1:
    NewYorkRedBulls U23s beat VermontVoltage 2-1 to reach Rd 2;
    they play at @PghRiverhounds 5/14 #USOC2014

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone please save this team. Ouch.

7. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Seasons like this is when I hate being a die hard supporter.

8. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    "We walk to the stadium loving it" This is what is to be a supporter... For me.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on a permanent replacement for Evans? They need to change everything, quick!

10. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    I've heard a name rumored out but I don't think I should say it out loud. The big wrench in finding a replacement is any money they spend on a new coach has to be approved by the bankruptcy lawyer which could either delay it or prevent them from getting who they want if they cost too much.

11. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #11 buzz99, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Help please - the interim coaching staff clealry dropped the ball against WIlmington - duh. The team returned to a more sensible line up against Charleston and once again a single mistake by the defense - which played reasonably well most of the match - resulted in a loss as the "firepower" in the front still can't break down a compact defense. Collins John may be a striker but he is not the guy you need up top for 90 minutes. In fact I'm not sure he's match fit for 90 after a 3 match suspension and limited role before that. Teams are marking Angulo and leaving the rest of front line to find some means to attack.

With exception of Wilmington (again, go figure), 3 of 4 past losses are generally well played matches 1-0 to Orlando, Rochester and Charleston - formidable competition, so continuous tinkering with back line isn't the solution unless team objective is to tie everyone 0-0. The attacking third is our bugaboo. Leave Danny Earls at LB and let him go forward when opportunity exists. Ron Vinccent is more than capable at LM. Kevin Kerr is one of few who has shown some creativity in breaking down opponents and it seems he may now be hurt. Ngweyna didn't make trip and Arena and Johnson in Houston. Ownby is on-again-off-again. Obadai is a very solid withholding middie but not an attacker. He needs some creativity in front of him.

Maybe team needs to look at some game film and develop some strategy for attacking opponents.

Oh yeah, almost forgot - another absolutely bizarre call by ref when he stopped game 2 minutes early in stoppage then re-started.

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    post match run down by the excellent CHS soccer.

http://www.chssoccer.net/game-wrap-home-at-last/

also, I am sure the PA announce hunter gilstrap as a late sub and as a field player and from where I was sitting (opposite end of the filed while Pittsbugh was taking a late corner) it certainly looked big enough to be him. but the USL box score doesnt credit Gilstrap with any minutes.

I havent looked back at the video but is Hunter coming on as a field player something that has happened before?

buzz99 repped this.
  13. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Gilstrap's first action this season following disasterous opening minutes of first match collision in box against Orlando Head injuries) was against Wilmington on Friday - he was obviously very shaky (i.e., misplayed first 2 chances into Hammerhead goals) and makeshift backline was no help. I doubt they took chance to play him in waning minutes against Charleston. Sub was probably Miro Cabrilo (newly signed rookie). If Gilstrap stepped on field, he would have been recorded in the game report which he was not.

Team is strapped with injuries and loss of some Houston loanees who are with Dynamo to help them cope with their own serious injury problems. I guess it runs in the family.

14. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    OK - a win is a win. Adria is no slouch and recently crowned USASA National Champs. Hounds made it tough on themselves giving up 2 goals on about 6 shots while scoring 3 on about a dozen corner kicks and 24 shots many of which seemingly were struck directly at the Adria GK. Nice to see Jhonny Arteaga back. Not always a scorer, he is skilled and a bit more savy and creative up top resulting in legitimate opportunites for Angulo and John. Nice to see a few dangerous balls from Dallman on the wing. Earls in the midfield and scores but I still prefer him at LB.

OK, now is the time to turn things around and beat down the Islanders Sun. at home for that all important first league win.

15. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sorry - tired of writing about disappointing results. Second match in season that Riverhounds failed to close out with late leads. Can't blame all on defense - midfield still in disarray with change in line up every game and lacks desire to work hard on defense. Also, sloppy direct play to front line and lack of strikers' hard work lead to numerous lost opportunities and kept back line under constant pressure, especially late in match when Islanders pushed everyone forward. Team is losing confidence and desire - bad signs for reat of season. Lisch was solid in nets but can't stop everything. It would be nice to have Arena back to help stablize back line which seems to change with every match. Tinkering with line ups every night is not solution to problems and in fact is creating more with players slotted into different or unfamiliar positions. Direct play is not the right approach for this team either. Too many turnovers too quickly.