2014 Pre Season Thoughts...and Hopes

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by CB-West, Aug 5, 2014.

1. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    OK - first time in here to start a new thread...

So I am ok going into the new season with what we've got, especially if we pick up the two backs that are reportedly only a day or two away...

After playing against (an outplaying for stretches) both Manchester clubs, I think we will fare pretty well against the top teams in the EPL. However, my worry is that we really don't have a goalscorer, other than Sturridge, who threatens to rack up multiple goals in a game...when we play teams like Leicester City, Burnley and Stoke (who we should beat), who is going to score the hat-trick so that we beat them 5-2.

I am hoping that BR continues with his attack-minded style of play, and that means there will be holes in the back...but I'm just a bit worried, based on the loss of Suarez and what I've seen so far this preseason, that our "goals for" might not be enough...

2. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #2 Red Bird, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    I am watching Mostar's compilation of all the [Liverpool] 2013/14 goals. It was damn good fight and some day in my dotage, I'll look back on that season and simply enjoy it for what it was instead of wondering what might have been. No bloody wonder we got the highest prize money. It may have been the Suarez show for the most part but the part played by the others (especially Henderson, Sterling and Coutinho) in creating space and angles cannot and must not be under-estimated.

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Sterling, Coutinho, Manquillo and Henderson are going to make this season exciting. I haven't seen enough of Markovic in the preseason, but the physicality, and movement of these players leads me to believe that we are in for a show.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need hendo coutinho and sterling to play as well as they did last year and pick up the goal scoring a little and we will be fine.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Looking forward to seeing what Lallana, Emre Can, and Markovic can add to our offensive side.

Not too impressed with Lambert (so far), although I think he will score some goals and come good. Still not too impressed with Allen...Borini is Borini - good for a few goals and a spell on the bench due to injury...Sturridge is a ? to me...can he produce like he did last year?, or was that a result of opponents focusing on Suarez?...When Sturridge is the "main man" will he score like he did last year?...will he adapt to the role of being the one who opens things up for others, and will the others produce like Stirridge did last year?...

Would really like to see one or two of the young'ins pan out, the way Sterling has (Ibe? Suso? - what is up with Teixera?)...and yes, would very much like to see Sterling, Coutinho, Henderson continue with both their attacking and defending progress.

Bringing in two more defenders (if the rumors pan out for Moreno) would be great, and should lift up the whole defensive core to push each other and stop the goal leakage that we experienced last year....

Can the season start already???

6. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one thing I like about Lambert is his soccer IQ and technical ability to find a good pass. He's shown that at Southampton and a little bit with us already.

I don't know that he'll ever score as many goals as we'd like. He is pretty slow. But, I think once he learns how to play with all the other speedsters in our team, he could be setting up quite a few for others - which would be great to see in League and FA Cup matches. ...and, it might even be effective in Europe (where the pace is a bit slower anyway). :)

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree about Lambert - watching him in today's game, he was, a couple times, just a step or two out of position, once he made a near post run, when he should've delayed and stayed more central, and once someone (Coutinho?) just missed him with a forward pass...both would have been his type of finish...it will come...

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So he's our current Heskey? ;)

Twenty26Six repped this.
  9. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but Heskey did not have the range of passing that Ricardo does.

el-capitano repped this.
  10. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this re-name feels so right

Twenty26Six repped this.
  11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where to post this, but hopefully this trend continues.

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    "Ricardo" Maybe for a woman's hairdresser, not for a bloody Scouser.

Bad enough with the Yank comms calling Stevie Gerrid, "Steven Gerraarhd"

13. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they can create more than 10 chances in over 7 full games...

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's chances created directly for each other. Interesting how much better they are as a partnership without Suarez.

15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love how we are favorites to drop out of the top 4 by pretty much everyone. That's it boys keep underestimating us. We'll just keep winning.

AndSomeAreAngels repped this.
  16. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's settled. Ricardo, it is, then!

el-capitano repped this.
  17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well Arsenal have already finished 4th for the 2014-15 season; Chelsea added Costa and whothe********cares so they'll finish the same place again; Man City has oil money so they'll be 2nd and of course their cross town rivals are the greatest team that has never played a competitive game with the greatest coach in the history of the world (since Red Nose). So that leaves us pretty much screwed. Maybe we shouldn't even bother this season.

el-capitano and usscouse repped this.
  18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    :) You're either a yank or a hairdresser.......or Both.

el-capitano and Twenty26Six repped this.
  19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    With the off chance of repeating myself...:)
    When Suarez was on the pitch we became far too Suarezcentric. Everything had to go to and through him, now we're playing all the options.

dcc134 repped this.
  20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Different mantra for me this season -- I am gonna try and enjoy it. Odd to say? Less stress, go with the rollercoaster ride of ups and downs and just enjoy the ride!

Our forwards/midfield are blazing fast, I am gonna try and get them in slow motion replays and savour it for once!

Twenty26Six repped this.
  21. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what you do when you have a genuinely great player. And, it worked. This season will be a far bigger test of the BR 'system' than last........I'm hoping....

AndSomeAreAngels repped this.
  22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It worked and well when Suarez was in the mood. But when he became pouty, falling down in the box, arguing with the ref. or getting the crap kicked out of him by some big girt clogger of a CB that left Luis sitting on the ground vainly waving at the ref.
    That's when we lost the odd points. We needed another route.

owian and dcc134 repped this.
  23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well the conventional wisdom is that European commitments will drag us backwards; surely, you remember how everyone was backing us for the title last August because of lack of European football!

AndSomeAreAngels and liverbird repped this.
  24. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ack, I had forgotten!!! Oh, woe is us...:)

So what excuses will jose make this year when we again finish higher than them?

25. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm just fine with it. Let the scum feel the pressure - hell, they're third favorites for the title with some bookmakers.

dcc134 repped this.