2014 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, May 11, 2014.

1. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank goodness that debacle is over. Now for the silly season.

We all know the top two desired transfers out would be Ashley and Pardew. Neither appears to be happening, so let's just put that to bed right now. I'm wondering what the rest of you think about the rest of the squad. Seems like some are surely on the way out the door, but you never know.

I'd like to see us keep several players that I'm afraid are going to be on the move, unfortunately. But we'll see what happens. Here's what I THINK happens (not what I want to happen, necessarily).

KEEP: Alnwick, Elliot, Dummett, Haidara, Williamson, Good, Yanga-Mbiwa, Coloccini, Saylor, Raylor, Streete, Bigirimana, Tiote, Abeid, Anita, Sissoko, Sammy, Gouffran, Campbell, Cisse.

SELL: Krul, Santon, Debuchy, Ferguson, Tavernier, Vuckic, Richardson, Amalfitano, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Obertan, Marveaux.

RELEASE: Newton (already confirmed by the player), Gosling, Shola.

RETURN TO CLUB: de Jong, Remy.

I'd obviously like us to keep Hatem and maybe Marveaux too, but I can't see it happening if Pardew stays. Flair players don't fit his style (just ask Tevez and Mascherano, who he repeatedly left out in favor of Hayden Mullins and Marlon Harewood). Also not sure what we do with Bigirimana and Anita.

Would expect us to largely leave the defense alone, focusing on other positions in the transfer market. If all that goes down how I think it might, we'll have 20 bodies, 22 if we formally promote Armstrong and Satka from the youth team. Only 15 of those are "senior" age and seven are homegrown, as it relates to the squad rules.

Why do I get the feeling this isn't going to end well?

2. American_Soccer

American_Soccer New Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying your wrong but that remaining squad would struggle to stay up imo. I can definately see Ashley allowing for such moves to be made, but I really hope he atleast replaces some of what he sells this next window.

3. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there'd be any struggle. That squad would be relegated no sweat. That back five would ship more goals than Fulham.

Apparently we're on the verge of signing a striker named Ayoze Perez. Never heard of him.

4. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suppose this would be the appropriate place to finally place an end of season review?

Firstly, apologies for my lack of posting over the last couple of months; I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say I've fallen out of love with NUFC over the last couple of months, well not quite fallen out of love - there will never be another one - it's like a marriage where divorce doesn't exist as a concept. I've had an existential crisis of my support though, and again I'm sure I'm not the only one.

What is the point?

When your football club doesn't seem honest any more, and by honest I mean "trying to be as good as they possibly can be", never mind the additional connotations of that word, you lose hope. Under Fat Freddy we were a mess, but did anyone doubt he wanted the club to be a success? The fundamental intentions were honest, even if the business dealings weren't. Under Ashley though it feels like we're happy to survive as a zombie football club (© Michael Martin), not threatening to win anything of substance (such as a cup... or even a derby). The lifeblood of supporters is hope... feeling that you're on the way to something better, that there is a plan and that maybe some day in the not too distant future you may find yourself accidentally attached to a successful club (however you deem to define that). I don't feel like that anymore about Newcastle United.

There's no faith in the manager - he's not trying to instil a philosophy that will reap rewards in the future. He's a blagging chancer who can't improve players - he seems to have the reverse effect. He would be nowhere near an ambitious Newcastle United.

Hopefully the World Cup will renew my enthusiasm.... signing Perez and Colback isn't doing it for me right now.

mplsTOON and Shameus repped this.
  5. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's a completely unique situation isn't it. I can't think of another club in World football that has publicly and openly stated that they don't want to have cup runs in Europe or domestically so as to concentrate on finishing in mid table. Utterly ridiculous, and more so given that when questioned at a fan forum in December about our ambitions for the remainder of the season, the club stated they wanted a top ten finish, when we were at the time 5th in the league. What sort of business or sporting endeavour looks backwards like that. As you say, you should always be looking above yourself to see what you can achieve.

A friend of my uncle is involved in the Academy, as a tutor rather than a coach mind, and apparently Pardew rarely watches them play and never takes in the training. I heard he'd seen two of their games so far during his reign. That in itself is shameful, and could be considered negligence, especially given our general attitude towards spending money on players. We could desperately do with a few good young players coming through.

Dave, there's still rumours of interest in Cisse from Turkey and the Middle East, S Taylor to QPR, and of Colo still looking to move back to South America. We look to be in serious trouble unless we can unearth three or four youth team players that are capable, and sign three or four players as well as the two we've got so far.

Russell1892 repped this.
  6. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joey Barton tweeting on the Luis Saurez bitegate is filled with irony. Juicy dripping irony.

7. Dennis324s

Dennis324s Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow... this thread is not what I was hoping to read. Not criticizing mind you.

I'm an American who is kind of new to soccer/football. I watched the past 3 World Cups but not much soccer in between. I've been supporting Chicago here in the MLS but they haven't shown much prom. And I wanted to find a PPremier League team also because I can get their matches on tv here. But I didnt want to be like most Yanks and jump on the Man U or Arsenal or Man City bandwagon.

I have no connection to anyof the teams and know nothing of Newcastle. Other than its a different team with a good-looking kit. (Not the best reason to choose a team, I know).

I came here looking to find the prognosis for the upcoming season. It doesn't sound good does it? Is it really that bad at Newcastle?

8. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Run. Run as fast as you can, and don't look back. :ROFLMAO:

Killakakam and eagleStevat repped this.
  9. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's hard to know what to expect. We've made some good signings, but new players take time to come together as a team. We've also lost some good players that were already bedded in. It could go well if the manager knows what he's doing, builds a cohesive unit and suddenly develops some unlikely tactical nous overnight?

Supporting Newcastle is quite frankly like supporting England, you get fleeting moments of brilliance where the future looks bright; followed closely by moments of stupidity from management or players that cast the club into a downward spiral utterly eliminating the bright future as a possibility. Imagine if you were actually from Newcastle, and therefore were born into supporting both?!

That said, NUFC and I are intertwined, they are a part of me. Once you're in, you're in. Hooked. There is no going back. I've been going to matches since I was 7 years old with my Dad, 27 years now. The wall of noise that hits you as a kid the first time you walk into the stadium is incredible, you can't help but fall in love with it. You'd be welcomed with open arms, and will find a bunch of fans that are insanely loyal (45 years without a trophy now) and have high expectations and dreams for their team to be successful and play attractive football. Such a clamour should at least ensure you are entertained by what happens next, good or bad - the only thing you can predict is that it will be unpredictable.

Dennis324s and Shameus repped this.
  10. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following Newcastle is a bit like joining the circus. There are times when it can be filled with beauty, wonder, and delights of all kinds. When it gets on the road though, you realize things are a bit creepy behind the scenes . Even the despondent moments have their strange beauty and fun.

But then, I grew up a Cubs fan, so I'm sort of used to this sort of thing. :D

Dennis324s and eagleStevat repped this.
  11. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Often hear the Cubs and Newcastle mentioned as kindred spirits; always knew there was something I liked about James Belushi's character in Taking Care of Business (Filofax to us Brits). I've spent a load of time in the Tampa area though, so am a Rays fan at heart.

The circus analogy works, and is oddly used repeatedly in the press over here. Creepy is a colossal understatement. Like you say though, there's fun to be had in the failures, and I can only imagine how the place would take off if we actually won something.

12. Dennis324s

Dennis324s Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I read your posts I immediately thought of the Cubs. Lol!. But hey...the Boston Red Sox had the same issues for a long time, then they started winning. :)

I'm going to keep an eye on Newcastle (and hope they are televised often here in the States). I hope the team has a wonderful season. :)

13. Killakakam

Killakakam Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm somewhat similar to you Dennis. I live here in the states and always followed the league but never had a team. My neighbor growing up was from Newcastle, so he eventually recruited me to become a NUFC supporter. I've been a pretty die hard supporter for about 6-7 years now. If there's one thing I can tell you, it's that following Newcastle is never boring that's for sure. It's a lot like a roller coaster sometimes, with extreme highs followed by extreme lows.

I often get weird looks or questions of "why?" when I tell American soccer (football) fans that I follow Newcastle. But that makes it even better and sets you apart from the typical American bandwagoners wearing their Man U and Chelsea jerseys. There just seems to be a sense of authenticity about the club that I enjoy, compared to the other "big" clubs. Besides where's the fun when you support a team like City and expect to win every single game? Much more exciting to play the role of slight underdog, you really enjoy the wins a lot more.

Dennis324s and eagleStevat repped this.
  14. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I was in your position 10 years ago. Watching a couple years of soccer, didn't have a Premier League club. NUFC attracted me for various reasons.

Be prepared for pain. In the 10 years I've been a fan it has been a roller coaster of emotion. Mostly troughs, interspersed with a good number of peaks though.

But it's not swayed me. NUFC has the most dedicated, passionate fans in the league. One year we'll straighten ourselves out and it will be glorious.

Dennis324s repped this.
  15. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Atlanta is twinned with Newcastle too.

Thing is, if everyone just chose a team because they were successful, then there would only be 3 or 4 teams in a few years after all the others fold. I always think you get more involved as a supporter of a less successful club. The highs are huge, whereas if Man Utd win the cup next season, a lot of their fans will be pleased but unmoved if they finish 6th. If that were us, you'd see a four week long binge drinking marathon. Also, if they were relegated 6 divisions for match fixing their support would be about the same as ours, our support would be about the same as it is now. Core support we're as big as anyone - bar possibly Liverpool and Man Utd and Leeds (the only 1 club city bigger than us).

Dennis324s repped this.
  16. Dennis324s

Dennis324s Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks fellas!

I'm sitting here in my recliner now drinking a frosty cold beer and watching Chelsea vs Man City. I haven't yet found a Newcastle fc match to watch but NBCsn is showing a lot of last year's match as well as some friendlies being played now in the States.

Can't wait to catch Newcastle Fc . :)

17. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Also, learn to love this (unofficial, but very good) site: nufc.com

And read up on our rather interesting history! wikipedia's a good start

Dennis324s repped this.
  18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Arsenal
    City
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Tottenham
    Utd
    Everton
    Newcastle
    WBA
    Stoke
    Swansea
    Hull
    Leicester
    QPR
    Southampton
    West Ham
    Burnley
    Palace
    Villa
    scum

Lose 3rd round League Cup

Lose 4th? (1st game) round FA Cup to a minnow.

Pardew not sacked, Tiote, Santon and Cisse leave in January.

Thx,

Jay!

19. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8th place? No chance of having to fork over for Europe again? Not in danger of a drop? Selling talent midyear? Not having to find a new manager? Sounds like another Ashley defined "winning season."

el americano and JayRockers! repped this.