2014 last year of the Goat

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by -REY MISTERIO-, Feb 20, 2014.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. There just isn't time left right now to rebrand for 2015 and continuing with the Chivas brand for another season is really a waste at this point. This will give them time to distance LA2 from the disastrous Chivas years and identity and all the baggage that comes with. Gives them time to find their own home, identity and build a new fanbase and generate excitement for the same.

3. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. No mention of a draft to allocate the CUSA players to other teams. Should be interesting to see what happens. This would also mean we'll have a balanced schedule next year, if Houston and SKC move to the west.

Another report states that Sacramento tried to buy the team and relocate them, but the league said no. If the players are all going to be dispersed to other teams, why not move the team to Sacramento and have LA2 be an expansion team? Kinda like what happened with Houston and SJ.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because Sac isn't really ready for an MLS team just yet. It could be the league is learning from its mistakes in NYC with regard to actually ensuring the new cities have stadiums before they get a team.

5. MAR2010

MAR2010 Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hiatus is probably the least-bad of an unappetizing menu of choices.

The key to LA2 is whether the league will invest proceeds of the sale to secure the ex-Chivas assets that do have value.

Most crucially, sign Cubo to a long-term deal (with a loan for the duration of the hiatus), and maintain the Chivas academy system.

Kennedy could also be signed to a long-term deal with a loan in the interim.

Finally, I would also suggest as a further investment the placement of an LA2 team in USL Pro for 2015 and 2016.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear/read about the upcoming two-year hiatus (something San Jose Earthquakes fans have also experienced). :(

-G

sodi_gar repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah its kind of sad for the players, the fans and the league....

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two year minimum. It'll end up being longer, you watch...

9. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reposting something I wrote in another thread, seems appropriate here as well;

Well, at any rate, it seems like things will be coming to some kind of conclusion soon. I just want to say to all the CUSA people left out there, that through all the ups and downs (mostly downs) it's been pretty great following the team with you all. I don't know where the future will take any of us, myself included, so who's to say if we'll see one another again. Either way, thanks for the memories.

Gameface and sodi_gar repped this.
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully everyone comes out for the send off game on Oct 26. I'd hate to see Chivas USA not only be tossed aside by the league and new owners but also by the fans. Chivas fans are being afforded one small mercy that was denied Mutiny, Fusion and Earthquakes fans in that you know before the final season concludes and can say goodbye properly.

Hopefully the last game is more of an Irish wake than a quiet funeral.

11. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you guys going to support the new team? Please dont become Galaxy fans!

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How in the world will the current players react to all this for the rest of this 2014 campaign? I don't see how any of this can be beneficial to the team, the players or the league unless they are all playing for a spot to latch onto to another team. I mean its not like most countries where a team gets relegated or even how the Quakes entire team moved to Houston but here you have a whole team which will disband in a matter of weeks. Players with families that need to pay their bills. I don't see how this will be positive for anyone. Its almost like when the old NASL folded and its a sad situation in my opinion.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is definitely a first (and hopefully last) for MLS to have a team know it's fate in advance of the end of the season. Though I can't imagine they'll end up in any worse shape on field than they are now mired in a 12 game losing streak. As I've said before though at least the fans get a chance to say goodbye in advance. I hope the players would acknowledge that and do their best for the hardy few despite the distractions.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't see anyway possible how the off the field disbanding of the club can not be a distraction for the players.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I don't think it can be avoided either. But hopefully they don't let it impact their play negatively. Plus for most of them I don't know if it'll be quite as big a distraction as we think since most of them will get jobs next year with 2 teams entering the league. So in that way it's not entirely different as the approaching end of a season is for any player with a soon to expire contract.

16. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I most certainly will NOT support the Galaxy, thank you very much.

porque?, Gameface, MARCH_ and 1 other person repped this.
  17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You going to join the Black Army in rooting against the Gals for a few years?

18. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always root against the Galaxy. ;)

Gameface and MARCH_ repped this.
  19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the feeling...

Gameface repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Join the club! :) Go Quakes!

21. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no matter what, I WILL be taking a trip to that gorgeous stadium you guys are building up there.

Gameface, athletics68 and falvo repped this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd suggest hitting the bar. The beer selection is shaping up to really make the trip worthwhile. I'll be coming up several times next year myself.

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  23. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I saw a list of potential beers on top for next season, it's a thing of beauty.

24. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Chivas USA supporters should latch onto SRFC or the Orange County Blues.

I recommend SRFC. :D