2014 K League Challenge

Discussion in 'Korean Domestic Leagues' started by Jitevra, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    are any other new clubs than eland expected to play in the K2 next season?

2. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Whichever teams are relegated from K1....

But I see what you mean. No, there was talk of Seoul Utd or Cheonan joining a few years ago, but nothing really progressed from there.

3. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    OK Yes I was thinking of any of the 2 rumours had come any longer in the progress. J2 also had 4/5 years where always no new clubs joined the league suddenly everybody wanted to be there, but maybe oney men needs to see the league be a success before they invest in a new club.......

4. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Tbh I don't think we'll see many new clubs. The trend has been cutting costs for awhile now. Ilhwa got rid of their club, Pohang sold their best player, Samsung shifted their club's ownership to a smaller division, and there was talk of winding up Incheon. Investing in clubs isn't really popular right now.

Ofc there are exceptions like city of Seongnam stepping into buy Ilhwa's team and E-land, but like I said those are exceptions.

toohyper repped this.
  5. DSkilling

DSkilling New Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Hi, i'm new to this forum.

I wanted to ask, what do you think about the new Seoul E-Land FC joining in 2015?

6. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    great just that the name kinda sucks.

7. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

im glad they're joining as a lower division team. can't hurt anyone but themselves.

8. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Teams imo have the mentality of "let's not get in the red too much" instead of profit-driven mentality. K-league teams just do not invest enough. Have to take risks in investments. I'm hoping e-land brings some aggressiveness in management and try to make the effort to profit as a club and club only instead of indirectly marketing their parent entity brand.

9. DSkilling

DSkilling New Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I agree that it's good to start in the Challenge.

Some of you may already be aware but for those that are not. Seoul E-Land FC are providing content for the English speaking markets on social media.

[​IMG]

If you're interested here they are...

The Facebook is targeting by language: https://www.facebook.com/SeoulEland
    There is also a new English specific Twitter account: https://www.twitter.com/SeoulEland

As you can see above, manager Martin Rennie is also active in social media. His links are

http://www.facebook.com/Renniecoaching
    http://www.twitter.com/Renniecoaching

Cheers

Lupin III repped this.
  10. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Let's see how far they could go with that. My prediction is that English content updates won't even last a year.

They could try to be global all they want but when the league isn't, it's useless attempt

11. DSkilling

DSkilling New Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Who said anything about global? The English speaking markets of Korea, there are large expat communities.

As far as global is concerned, the league is now changing that, they have launched the English website and are launching an English speaking Twitter account. The reason the league is currently not global is because it's hard for people elsewhere to find content they understand. The interest for world football is there, just look at the buzz around the Indian Super League. If it's made available, people around the world like to know about it.

If the leagues don't want to cater for English speaking countries then websites like Goal.com won't bother, it has to change from the source and that's what the league has finally realized. If they sustain it then you will see the major publications begin to take an interest.

Of course this will take time, but everything starts with that first step.

Angel Bear and Chorok repped this.
  12. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I agree with everything you just said. Although I don't think the rest of the league will follow suit anytime soon.

13. DSkilling

DSkilling New Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Probably not, hopefully they see the benefits of it. If everyone gets on board then it can be great for Korean football in general.

14. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wouldn't call expats in korea as large base; certainty not big enough. I know there's a expat k-league forum but last time I visited that forum many years ago, it wasn't that busy of a forum

15. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And you got to be honest. Reason why k-league haven't gone global is because even Koreans refuse to watch the k-league. You can't be global if you can't even be local

16. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I dunno. It seems like a low investment - high potential yield to me. If the interest IS there in the global/expat market, why not tap into it? All it will take is one decent English speaking person to translate the content on their website. Won't know how much interest there is/will be until you market it.

I see no harm in this.

Edit: plus, I don't think their goal is to sell shirts overseas. I think it's more about making the team more accessible.

Angel Bear repped this.
  17. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I see no harm in it as well. I support it. I'm just not sure if it will be successful but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Chorok repped this.
  18. DSkilling

DSkilling New Member

Sep 23, 2014
    It all depends on what the bench mark for success is, if the goal is to raise further awareness to the K League and get the larger online magazines to write more about the K League then the goals are very achievable. I know myself and many others that always try and watch local games when traveling to different parts of the world, so if the K League and clubs can raise awareness to people like me then it can't be a bad thing for the league. Of course it'll be a long journey but anything worth doing takes time. There are millions of people that travel to Seoul & Korea in general every year, you can bet your bottom dollar there's quite a few football fans in that bunch. Why not try and get them interested enough to go to a game?

Angel Bear and Lupin III repped this.
  19. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  20. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    4 consecutive wins & 2nd place currently for FC Anyang!

[​IMG]

Anyang 3-1 Daejeon
    (fcking Cho Min-gook giving away Choi Jin-soo :mad:)
    [​IMG]

Current Standings
    [​IMG]

Radu Razvan repped this.
  21. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Daejeon wont even be able to celebrate at the Purple Arena because they wont be able to use until early next year

[​IMG]

Chingoo repped this.
  22. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Adios to Byun Sung-hwan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daejeon might have to wait again for the league title as they are currently losing to Gwangju FC 1-0.

23. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  24. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [Latest League Ladder]

Tight fight for the play-off ticket. Ansan only need a win to be guaranteed a play-off spot while Anyang, Gangwon and Gwangju in virtually a 3 way fight for the 2 left spots.

[​IMG]

Seol Korea repped this.
  25. korfan

korfan Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    As a Daejeon fan I'm alarmed... by our recent form... with Ansan keeps on winning and we keep on losing, then we will not clinch the title..

Daejeon's lead striker and the K-League Ch lead striker Adriano is out for 3 games with a suspension, first of which was yesterday's game... Daejeon can't finish without him...