2014 Hot seat or getting Warm seat.

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, May 1, 2014.

1. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Had to wait for something with the work visa I believe. I believe it is a done deal and he starts this Summer with Duke. Sky Blue is just a filler, he was with them before going to Alabama. I think that is a great hire for Duke.

oldmangrumpus repped this.
  2. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Pitt asst Illeana is one finalist (oh dear) and there is also a big east assistant (don't know the school) who is up for it. I know a lot of people who know the Pitt asst and have never heard a good word. My source didn't tell me who specifically the other candidate was. Does anyone have any info?

3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to live near Pitt, but their old venue was way out in the middle of nowhere. I also went to Sac State, but that was before Moschos was there. I wonder what the gripe is.

4. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have met one of her former head coaches several times who was glad when she left their program. I know her a little from being in that region of the country and she seems ok but when ex bosses have nothing but negative comments makes you wonder. Not necessarily a gripe but in our world word gets round about certain people.

5. iloveny

iloveny Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Hmmm, I heard she wanted to escape from the Pitt circus asap! Can you blame her? Pitt had 28 on their 2014 roster and went down to 14+a transfer. I believe they only graduated 3 and every player was a recruit of his own since the last firing of girls. So maybe, just maybe, jobs are in jeopardy. But then again, a new A.D. hired could bide more time--who knows how many years you should get when YOU brought your own team in. I've never heard ANY positive comments about the HC there, not sure what admin hears or knows.

6. Soccer2345

Soccer2345 Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Colgate asst to go to Ohio State? Is this true if so watch that program fall way down in years to come

7. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
  8. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Which program? You mean the Colgate assistant McLain? I thought the long-time coach at Colgate was pretty highly regarded - Brawn? Was McLain really running things there and is working for Lori Walker really better?? It's the bcs and all but better than competing for Patriot titles with Brawn? tough call imho. Must be good money.

9. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    You are Full of S*&^ lol Where did you hear she was trying to escape from Pitt hahaha

10. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    You guys just throw stuff out there to start stuff. Do you know why anyone of the girls left the program? Let me give you some insight, sometimes kids leave a program because they are home sick. If your father becomes the new coach of a big ten school, you may want to leave to. What about if a kid gets a serious injury and decides to call it a day. Sometimes walk ons do decided to quit.I would recommend that you go do your own research find out what transpired then put out information that is correct. I would love to know what this Pitt staff has done to some of you on here. As I said earlier you are full of it. The more I read some of the stuff on here the more I realize that quite a few folks on here just talk because they have a hole in their face. If you are not close to a situation. You can't help but believe what is said on here. I won't fall for some of this garbage. lol

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Sometimes being assertively offensive is better than being blindly defensive.
    So, lets talk facts. How many players have disappeared from the Pitt roster before graduation since the arrival of Mr. Miller? Please compare that to the other teams in the ACC and tell us all what you discover? Love to hear your explanation again. Every excuse you gave applies on average to just about every program correct?

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Do you know why all these girls have been leaving since you are defending the program? I have been in the region for a while and I will say there is a lot of negativity associated with the program and certain clubs don't want to send their played there. However this seemed true under the previous regime too as coaches seemed hesitant to send players there. Maybe it's a Pitt thing. I usually post assertions on here if I have heard them from decent sources, plus college coaches gossip about one another (I have been mentioned on here myself) but if you have information that suggests that all these athletes were leaving the program on your own accord and they had a good experience with the staff I'm sure people on here would love to know.

13. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Eddy K you have already established yourself as a Pitt/Miller Hater so I really have no time for you. Next

14. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Unfortunately I don't deal with decent sources. I based my comments on conversations I have had with some of their former players. One of them I happen to know very well. It's hard for some of us to have a love one be told she is not good enough and as result is not included in the future plans of the coach program. It can result in constant hate and negativity as is often seen on these blogs. All I am saying is simply connect with legitimate sources before you say things that may not be true. Leave that for coach Miller Haters. I see folks on here talking about players leaving programs all the time. Some of them have been starters. How many starters left the Pitt program during the past 6 months? Go look at their roster and do your own research. How many of his present scholarship recruits are no longer in the program? How many walk ons have left ? Look at their stats. Look at the minutes for all the players who played last season. If you are lucky track down the medical records of some of the kids who are no longer playing as well. I can assure you when you do some real research you will get a much clearer picture. The cool part about it is you wouldn't have to rely on hear say or depend on those who just have an axe to grind Better yet ! Get to know the man they call Greg Miller. You will soon realize that the person he often portrayed as is not the person you will meet in person. Let this man run his program in the best way he sees fit. If his AD thinks he is doing a good job, he will be around for a long time. If not he will move on and some of us on here will celebrate like its 1999.

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Thanks for taking time for such a thoughtful and helpful response. I'm sure readers here appreciate that. Those that have no merit to their argument often resort to attacking their opponents. I would love to cheer for Pitt, that's the problem. Trust, integrity, consistency....in short supply at Pitt right now.
    Salad, if you want to make a meaningful contribution, like using facts to compare the attrition rate at Pitt to it's peer programs, let's have some facts? I think your post above produced exactly ZERO of those. Would you honestly bet a dime right now that Pitt will be competitive in the ACC anytime soon....honestly?

I will stop this thread hijack regarding Pitt other than to say that I agree with others here that the 2015 hotseat is warming rapidly for some ACC coaches. Pitt and Miami for sure. Time will tell of course.

16. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Just a thought. ACC is a tough conference to try to rebuild a program or even build a program. If you are a bottom of the league team it is really tough to get to a place of competitiveness within the league. A few years back Miami under Tom was able to get that team competitive at the NCAA tournament level but even his improvement of the program could only get him to the 8th or 9th place team in the ACC. He had a way to do it, but in the end the "U" did not like his style of doing it. Every coach is going to do what they can within their understanding and style of coaching. But make no mistake, most of the AD's are going to give you 4 to 5 years max to get it done. And with recruiting as early as it is now, that is almost an impossible task (players get recruited for the first two classes but are soon replaced with class number 3, and with that said, most teams can not carry 40 players so they cut the ones in their first 2 classes to make room for class number 3). So Unless you are a magician, a bender of the NCAA rules or a "Great" coach the task is almost unattainable. For a team that struggles a coach can try to change the culture in two ways. One, teach the current team and add players when players graduate and do it the slow methodical way, (which may take 5 years) or do a wholesale change over (cut half the team and bring 15 new players in the first class, then after year one do another cut of about 10 players and add another 10 in the class). A lot of coaches chose the later because it can be easier.

Anyway, the bottom line is when their is a change over in a bottom of the ACC conference team, many people will be hurt in the process. It is a tough thing to go through. AD's want to win.. Some do not care how it is done, just win!!! Some coaches give it a shot, more than not those coaches do not make it and are hurt in the process as well. Many players are given the chance too, some make it and others do not. They too are hurt through the process. This is bigtime athletics!!!!

Ok, I have said enough. Always interested in this topic. I do hate that people get smeared, both players and coaches on this forum.

17. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Very smart hire for Ohio State. McLain will do well there and help that program that has underperformed in recent years. Walker needs a good staff around her and this could make a difference.

Soccer2345 I am with you. I will be really interested to see what happens to Colgate. I know in the northeast at least Brawn is not well respected and it's been known that for the last decade that program was run exclusively by the assistant and then to associate head coach as far as recruiting and coaching goes. That could be a very detrimental loss to that program. Going to watch who they hire there and what direction that program heads in this year and beyond. They were a strong mid major team that did well but that could negatively shift unless they deal with this change appropriately.

18. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Very reliable source….Toledo has hired TJ Buckholz (sp) from Southwest Minn St U (D II)

19. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Anyone have any idea if this is a good hire or anything about the coach? From outside kind of a bolt from the blue and random in terms of where he's coaching now. Ohio connections perhaps?

20. RecruitingCoach

RecruitingCoach New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    TJ is a friend of a friend, so a bit of a connection. To my knowledge, there's not much of a OH/Toledo connection, but he has proven to be a winner. Was very successful leading a D3 program to NCAA tournament level of success before moving on to a Cali D1 assistant position and then on to SWMS. SWMS was abysmal before his arrival...multiple years of low single digit wins...and he turned that program into a top-25 level D2 program in short order.

Can he make the jump to D1 and have the same level of success? That might be a bit much. Can he turn Toledo into a perennial top-tier MAC team, I think that's pretty plausible. It is a seemingly out of nowhere hire, and there are some question marks to the hire, but some big upside to his hire and I think he'll be a success at Toledo.