Pre-match: [2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers] Korea vs Iran 2013/06/18

Discussion in 'Korea' started by jsk14, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

"I mean when you give us second-rate facilities ... and you do things like that in the WCQs ... I've kept really quiet about it but I'll tell you something ... they've gone down in my explanation when they've done that ... we have not resorted to that ... but I'll tell you ... you can tell him now he'll be watching ... he's gotta go to Ulsan and get something ... and and and I'll tell ya honestly ... I will love it if we beat them, love it."

;)

2. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Obviously the Koreans here the exception but does anyone in S. Korea actually care about football, let alone this match? When I look at the attendance figures for the matches held in S. Korea, very few are ever sold out.

In my experience (even amongst my Korean friends), nobody really cares about the national team except when it comes to the World Cup itself (not even qualifying). Then, for a month or so, there's this widespread sense of national pride and support. Once the Koreans are eliminated at the World Cup, it just completely seems to dial down for another four years.

Also, weather forecasts show that it will be raining in Ulsan on Tuesday. What would be the chances that the stadium will be sold out on a rainy day for a match that (for the most part) is irrelevant for S. Korea?

3. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Pretty much

4. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    match is almost sold out with less than 1000 tickets left.

5. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Then I guess it just got serious.

[​IMG]

wetcrispy, seoulman9 and Operation Opera repped this.
  6. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

You know that "sold out" means nothing for Iran FA. They pack the sh*t out of Azadi last time we went there...

7. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well it comes both ways. Because we did see Iranian pack the full house when we played them in Tehran. But when Uzbeks showed for their game, the Iranian stadium was half full. So there will be lots of ppl aren't as interested like us(you and me both) who spend time regularly in this football board or any other places.

Edit: to make your case, a lot more of us Koreans are aware of our history against Iran will likely be more interested than our game against Uzbeks. That's great for us. Bad for Iran.

Edit2: Ulsan is a 40000 seating venue with more intimate spacing between the field and the stands. So Iranians will hear about it when they get the ball. Will it be hostile? Not likely, our men will be doing the booing when you're holding the ball and our ladies will scream when we have the ball.

msc43 repped this.
  8. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jung SR, Kim YK, and Lee BY are all injured so LCY will start in goal

[​IMG]

YLbowman, Seol Korea, msc43 and 3 others repped this.
  9. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The stadiums are less likely to be sold out when we're facing football powerhouses such as Lebanon. I guess Iran is a pretty good draw in terms of attendance. Fans know we are going to be more or less evenly matched.

10. Ayumiconiq

Ayumiconiq Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Jeonbuk Motors
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

is there a website that updates on how many tickets were sold so far?

11. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    the iranians must be shocked at what we gave them. maybe they will learned the meaning of hospitality when hosting other teams. i wonder which hotel they are currently using?

12. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

This would hold true had other teams complained. In the past 13 years of following Team Melli, South Korea is the only team that I've EVER heard of complaining about their treatment in Tehran.

The Japanese had no complaints in 2005 and neither did the Saudis (our 'arch-rivals' ) in 2001 and 2009.

Mani, nimaa and Operation Opera repped this.
  13. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    Does this match need a own thread ?

14. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    Exactly. Something is suspicious about Korean complainings. I never heard OF ANY TEAM, National or Club level complaining about conditions in Iran. Only South Korea seems to complain lol. But i guess its part of the Iran-Korea rivalry. Atleast rivalry better on the pitch then killing each other.

15. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi All, Iran fan here...not sure what happened when Korean team came to Iran, but be assured all Iranians get shitty treatment by gov't every single day. lol so dont think this was something against your people, its just a normal standard of how our country is ran these days.

I personally would like to see all 3 teams make it...but come on guys you can make it still through playoffs...so please let us win this game and you take 3rd place :D

16. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    lol

17. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    To be fair, the only time I've seen 'accommodation' problems is when Iranian clubs go to play Arab clubs (and vice versa) in the AFC Champions League and the visitors are stalled for an extra hour or two.

18. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah but sold out in Ulsan is 44k and sold out in Sangam is 69k. We had like 59k attendence against Uzis.

19. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yea but it is still unacceptable we havent complained in the past but this time iran did something more extreme. also with the hotels all the rooms were "booked" (probably cause iran get millions of tourist a year. yeah right) u guys put us on the floor where the number is considered very unlucky and related to death in korea. not only did the IFA treat us like shit ur people also decided to take some shots on us unless the IFA told them too. plus ur entire country cares about football with the population of 70 million plus have the land mass of 16 times bigger then korea. u should have one world class training facility for your guest. IFA incompetence started all this

20. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

I won't argue against our Federation's incompetency; most are just government cronies making their way up. I wouldn't make a big deal about the hotel floor - I doubt it was a serious factor. I don't thing anyone in our federation took the time to research 'unlucky Korean omens'.

Can you elaborate on the bolded part? I'm a little confused.

21. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    Excuse me, it are the Iranians who should take revenge on you after your Coach made garbage comments against the Iranian nation. Also, political situation in Iran is not that bright so the focus doesnt go to football,facilities etc. Even though Iran is sanctioned it has PRETTY GOOD footballing infrastructure and average management.

22. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Read carefully I said the hotels. Unless the ifa owns that too. And like I stated I iran gave us a world class facility like iran is currently using now. And other better treatment no one is complaining

23. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    I dnt know in what hotel the Korean team were staying but i know 100% the quality of Hotels in Tehran are above average! this is one

two, for example lets say Iran is in a bad situation economically or politically and has limited resources to offer their guests (which i am 100% sure they gave the best to their guests) then should you as guests open your mouth and badmouth a entire nation ? it just shows THAT YOU ARE THE ONE that have no manners. People are throwing with statements nowadays like its nothing. Consider your words before expressing it.

24. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No matter what ur current state of economic state is u always treat ur guest with the highest class possible. I also forgot to mention that the iranians were making loud noises at night so our players can't sleep. If the North Koreans gave Dennis rodman a 16 course meal and worlds finest drinks iran can do better. Plus iran is one of the most resource rich countries in the world while korean has virtually none. There r no excuses

25. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    Do you know how ridiculous the bolded part sounds ? Are you going to throw conspiracy after conspiracy here ?