2014 FIFA World Cup qualification OFC

Discussion in 'Oceania' started by William Penn, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice work, All Whites. I would like it to be NZ-USA in the playoffs.

2. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Not an easy win but a nice challenging one for Winston Reid's first game as Captain.

3. AllWhitebeliever

Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Is the US of A looking likely to be 4th team in the CONCACAF??

4. 007GS

007GS Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Interesting game. NZ really struggled to build anything while New Caledonia, at times, looked like a very decent outfit. Ricki Herbert should have a lot to answer for after that performance but I'm sure NZF won't say a word.

However it must be said that the officiating was a disgrace.

5. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Herbert didn't get fired for crashing out of the OFC Nations Cup, he won't get fired for this.

A draw wouldn't have done much good for New Caledonia either way. They wouldn't be eliminated but they'd still depend on NZ losing their last game. They had to win.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well we lost the first game to Honduras 2-1 and everyone is acting like it's the end of the world. In all likelihood it won't be but even Mexico could only draw their opening game at home in the hex, so it could really be anybody... and places like Honduras and Costa Rica are most definitely NOT easy places to go - we regularly lose there.... I would hate to have to play any of those guys in a winner-takes all playoff match to qualify for the WC...

7. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough draw.

8. AllWhitebeliever

Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Either way, USA, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica or T&T are tough opposition to have a home and away playoff with. I rather not play USA or Mexico as we may not have much of a home ground advantage as we may have against the other three teams.

9. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be surprised if you get Mexico, to be honest with you.

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually after two rounds, the 4th placed team currently is.... Mexico! :eek:

Of course, of course I don't expect them to stay there (as a US supporter I hope they finish dead last:p - just kidding of course) no but seriously, Mexico should eventually qualify and tbh, I'm not totally against them qualifying as it will be a boost to the CONCACAF federation in general to have all our best teams do well there and Mexico will add something to a world cup in South America I think....

Actually, if it's the away game you're worried about the US might be one of the easier opponents. Assuming it's not playing in a blizzard, our venues are probably nowhere near as intimidating as some of the Central American teams. However, we will probably be a much stronger opponent back in Aukland...

11. AllWhitebeliever

Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand

12. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very Payne-ful defeat for the Solomons.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Honduras currently sits in that play-off spot against New Zealand.

idk if New Zealand would be up to the task of playing in 112 degree weather down in San Pedro Sula.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trinidad and Tobago was eliminated two rounds ago. You named four of CONCACAF's final six with the others being Panama and Jamaica.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/news/newsid=2050015/index.html is titled "Dranam and emotion on Oceania's Brazil 2014 path."

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. AllWhitebeliever

Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Well what is there to say but it was a very terrible decision by the ref to not reward a red card and penalty kick but that is the poor standard of the referees for the OFC games. The refs in this section of the qualifiers are always at a low standard. I never seen a clean record by the refs in this corner of the world for a important tournament. Ricki Herbert should have made a comment and not worry about any fines that may come his way. However, these do come up in the match and captain/coach reports as feedback. Lucky NZ was able to score a goal in the dying stage of that match to get through with a game in hand.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    funny thing, apparently the ref was from Australia and Australia left Oceania in order to join Asia quite a number of years ago but in times like this you pay the price of having them in your backyard...

18. AllWhitebeliever

Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Strebre DELOVSKI, the ref is one of the best ref in the A - League but it seems that it is a high step up to do WCQs because there is always something crazy happening in such games. The refs has to be on their game more, even tho it was in the weaker OFC region. I tend to find that the OFC has more problems to handle while refereeing because it is at a lower standard with amateurs and these players are not use to the referees that comes from a professional set up. They are not used to refs not picking up on small things in the LOTG. But amateur things such as the kick to Smeltz face is usually missed by professional refs in the later part of the game because it was so unexpected and he was looking for the usual professional misconduct of the game not the amateur clumsy stuff. Anyway I hope nothing like that will happen in the playoffs but dumb things always happen as a rule. . .

19. Dward1

Dward1 Member

May 29, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a quick roundup on Oceanic qualification. http://prezi.com/1pyoga6qdras/untitled-prezi/?utm_source=prezi-view&utm_medium=ending-bar&utm_content=Title-link&utm_campaign=ending-bar-tryout

might have to click around and use the keyboard to get through it

Pretty fun to put together, don't know if it flows perfectly yet. Isn't American Samoa's coach the guy who contributes on Fox Soccer News? that blew my mind. the passion in the game between the two Samoa's was fun to see in literally the lowest level you can get from Brazil and still have a chance

20. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rongen used to coach the USA U-20 team.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    iirc wasn't he also chief scout at Toronto FC.. or something along those lines.

22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just a heads up for NZ, its looking like the battle for the playoff spot is going to be between Honduras and Panama...though its not set in stone yet and other teams could rise or fall (specifically Mexico who are still struggling), that looks like the likeliest scenario as of now.

Those two places are extremely tough to play. Hot, humid, and passionate fans who will intimidate.

23. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NZ, your opponent for the playoff is Mexico.

Do whatever you can to beat them.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, go Kiwis!!!