2014 FIFA World Cup: Final Draw 06.12.13

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I´m going to disagree with you there

Mexico is the reason for that!

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Overall I agree with you but the point in regards to Brazil is they haven't won it despite trying. They care a lot ot get it, but other teams such as France, Nigeria, Argentina and Mexico have gotten in the way.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yeah, and there have been many other "reasons" (in the sense you are using that term) why Brazil haven't won the tournament over the years!

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yeah, but at the end, the question remains: what is proven by winning the OL gold? That you have the best youth talent and team? No, because you can use 3 overage players. That you have the best team in the world? Certainly not, because there is an age restriction for the rest of your team. That you will have the best team in the world? No, because that has not been the case in the past and no logical reason for it to be necessarily the case in the future.

5. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    glad you agree.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The main reason being that they can't use their best players. Therefore no matter how much they pretend to want to win, its ultimately meaningless. Or maybe I'm wrong and Switzerland and Belarus will rule European football in 2-3 years. o_O

7. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Those were, for all intents and purpose, World Cups. Unlike now, everybody's best players were there.

8. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We only care about Olympics because it´s the only empty space we have in our Trophy Room. Once we get it, we wont give a **** about it anymore. It´s a crap tournament filled with u-23 players and just a few world class players. Yes, we have yet to get it, but it doesnt change the fact that it´s just crap.

The fact of winning or losing it plays a very small factor on how well a given team will do in the WC.

Neither Mexico odds wont go higher nor Mexicans should think they´re a superb team just because they won the gold medal in London. It´s irrelevant.

BocaFan repped this.
  9. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Interesting news for those that haven't heard yet. Josip Simunic has been suspended from the World Cup. Perhaps you remember him as the player who infamously received three yellow cards in one WC match.

* Shocked Croatian FA likely to appeal (Adds Croatian reaction)

Dec 16 (Reuters) - Croatia defender Josip Simunic will miss the 2014 World Cup in Brazil after being suspended for 10 matches by FIFA for making pro-Nazi chants at the end of last month's playoff victory over Iceland.

The Croatian FA was shocked by the severity of the ban and said it was likely to appeal.

World soccer's ruling body FIFA announced the punishment in a statement on Monday.

"The disciplinary committee took note that the player, together with the crowd, shouted a Croatian salute that was used during World War II by the fascist 'Ustase' movement," it said.

"As a consequence the committee agreed that this salute was discriminatory and offended the dignity of a group of persons concerning, inter alia, race, religion or origin.

"After taking into account all of the circumstances of the case, and particularly given the gravity of the incident, the committee decided to suspend the player for 10 official matches," FIFA continued.

"The first matches ... have to be served during the final competition of the 2014 FIFA World Cup."

At the end of Croatia's 2-0 win on Nov. 19, Australia-born Simunic took the microphone at the Maksimir Stadium in Zagreb, turned to the stands and shouted 'Za dom' (for the Homeland), to which the audience replied 'Spremni' (Ready).

The call-and-response salute is widely associated with Croatia's Nazi-allied Ustasha regime which ruled in 1941-45 and brutally persecuted Jews, Serbs, Gypsies and anti-fascist Croats.

Simunic, who plays his club football for Dinamo Zagreb, said in a statement last month that he meant nothing wrong.

"As a Croatian who was born and grew up outside my homeland, I associate home with love, warmth and positive struggle - everything we showed on the pitch to win our place in the World Cup," said the 35-year-old.

Stefan79 repped this.
  10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Nope.
    a World Championships, maybe.
    But they hold no resemblance to a World Cup.
    And there is no certainty that teams had their best players playing in them, as many of them had a mix between amateur and professional players.
    All of our players from 1928, in that chilean team were completely amateur as the rules for Olympic games required them to be (yeah, we were very naive in those days and followed strictly the rules, while others didn`t think the same way), and so, we got eliminated right away in our first match. We played a consolation tournament afterwards, where we had a draw with the home team (Holland) in the final match, whom decided to give us the cup as an act of courtesy.
    ;)

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Simunic out of the World Cup for Croatia. How important is that? The guy may be old, but he's been key for the defensive line of Croatia. Basically the end of his international career.

So no Mandzukic and no Simunic vs Brasil...

12. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Croatians medias keep saying that it's a really bad new for the team, but personally i never liked this player, and i don't think that the team is weaker without him.
    Bilic didn't use him in his first 11 on euro 2012 and croatian team has been ok defensively.
    against italia and spain, the team has been efficient in this part of the game, italia scored only once by a free kick, and spain scored only once too in the last 2 minutes when croatia gave up their side cause they had to score and should have scored...they didn't have any clear goal opportunity before that.
    so...i don't think that it's that bad, lovren who is improving at southampton will be better than simunic ever was i think. shidenfeld performances at euro 2012 were good.
    too bad tin jedvaj is not few years older

13. footballfanpro

footballfanpro New Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My Predicitions:

Group A Brazil, Croatia

Group B Spain Netherlands

Group C Ivory Coast Colombia

Group D England Uruguay

Group E France Ecuador

Group F Argentina Bosnia

Group G Germany Ghana

Group H Russia Belgium

14. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    By all means, I be happy if Colombia went to the otherside of the tournament tree to avoid those teams from groups A, B, and D.

Although, It's foolish to assume that Chile isn't able to take on the Dutch and Spanish when this is in South America. But anything can happen.

15. Nermin Kolašinac

Jun 5, 2013
    Lahmfan's crib
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Just watch Columbia winning the World Cup this time.

16. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Please replace the 'U' with 'O' my friend, it means a lot to us. ;)

But if it will depend if Falcao can get ready by the world cup, and not play in the group stages which is a week and a half long, giving him more time to get fitness.

We have more than enough good strikers to keep us into the next round after the group stage.

Nermin Kolašinac repped this.
  17. Nermin Kolašinac

Jun 5, 2013
    Lahmfan's crib
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I'm sorry, I didn't knew that at all.
    To be honest, Falcao is in his own category but Martinez and Muriel can easily make some trouble. Really impressive squad at all.

18. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, well we normally team Falcao with Teo who is a very talented underrated striker for Colombia. Hence he gets equal amount of playing time over any other striker with Falcao.

To be honest however, we have to thank the genius mindset of Jose Pekerman. He's the reason why we're a strong team.

19. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Reportedly Falcao's surgery was a success and he's expected to return to health in time for Brazil.
    Ibra and Lewandowski not going was already a shame ... would hate it if Falcao is out too.

PS don't mess with the guy ... it's Columbia and you're Frobuy69 :)

20. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Given what happened with Pele in the 50s and Ronaldo in 2002, I am keeping my hopes up. Especially when they made a hardcore comeback into that world cup and won it. But we're not Brazilian so I don't know how this will turn out lol.

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Why? In a lot (if not all) of Slavic languages its with a 'u'. Its Kolumbija is Serbian.

22. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Because we're writing in English; I would understand if that was in another language, it be understandable.

Just like how the dutch prefer 'Netherlands' instead of 'Holland' (for obvious reasons) in English, but certain languages only have 'Holanda' or something like that.

23. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombians feel offended if you misspell the name, 100% of the time they will correct you.
    Personally I'm really lay back and don't care I guess I'm a bad Colombian lol. But they just don't like people misspelling Colombia.

24. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Because that's how it's written; other places have it spelled 'Columbia' in different parts of North America, but that's not how our country is spelled. We go with 'Colombia'.

25. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Group A Brazil, Mexico
    Group B Spain, Chile
    Group C Colombia, Japan