2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Lucas..., May 17, 2014.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes but Van Persie was just become a CF in last 2 years, he used to be a wide FW or SS
    Benzama covered a lot too as CF and some FW

Muller was an AM/Wide FWnot a pure striker/CF though

========================================
    I still prefer Romario, Batistuta or Ronaldo ... scoring > cover distance

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #5352 JamesBH11, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    FIFA never had a deep stats like Castrol ... (but only goals+ all star team 78-06 official)
    Castrol came out in 2010 and was quickly ADOPTED by FIFA in this WC

So in long run I am afraid Castrol will get more attention (more stats in details from 66-14 and on ..._)
    Now "reliable" in term of what?
    1- goals, assists, passing number, tackles, possession, shoot nuber, distance cover YES ...

2- the rest like chances creation, dribble runs successful, pass successful % , duel won %, shot on target, disposession % ... are QUESTIONABLE

3. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did he?

Mate I do not know where you got that observation from. RvP did not run more then any player of his own team let alone compare him to Muller who objectively was a lot more scintillating then RvP who disappeared in the KO stage.

@Pipiolo @giles varley what do you guys think about a Van Persie vs Muller in terms of performances?

4. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    to be fair ....van persie distance covert per 90 minutes was about 10,2 kilometer..this isnt bad...messi distance covert per 90 minutes was about 8,1 kilometer...lol.......müller distance covert per 90 minutes was about 11,1 kilometer

Guigs repped this.
  5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    two different type and role
    RvP was a true striker in Netherland 5 3 1 1 - he did good in first few games but became pretty ISOLATED in front . Note that Netherland 2014 played like classic Italy style : DF >>> FW without MF (affection)

Muller was a "false striker" and sometimes as RFW ... he did better indeed with the whole Germany team in form

6. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    That's the stat I saw previously, that RVP per 90 minutes had an above average distance covered.

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Van Persie was more spectacular and better in the group stages than Muller, particularly his match against Spain is a superb peak. But then in the knockout matches Van Persie shrank more and more, scoring only one goal off a penalty kick against Brazil and playing poor against Mexico and Argentina. Whereas Muller kept his consistency and gave a fantastic performance against Brazil in the semifinal. So overall Muller must clearly be ahead of Van Persie, but not Robben who in my opinion was terrorizing defenses the entire tournament and should have been Golden or Silver Ball.

8. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would say brazil were the best team in '82.. We ve discussed this on other threads pip !...take away cerezos error and brazil were in the semis.. Even rossi and the other italian players admitted that brazil were a better team who got complacent because they only needed a draw. Rossi said " brazil sinned by their assumption ".. .italy didnt outplay brazil - they won by exploiting lapses of concentration...nobody gave italy a chance before that game ..it was a shock..
    Holland were a better team than west germany in '74 as well..
    But the best can lose and i would choose holland 74 and brazil in 82 as the prime examples ...
    I know denmark 86 are not considered as great as brazil 82 or holland 74..but they got battered by the spanish and everyone knew denmark were a better team than the spanish in 86...
    Anything can happen on the day in knock out football;

Pipiolo and msioux75 repped this.
  9. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest van persie didnt really impress me in the tournament after the first two games...
    Obviously van persie is better technically than muller but muller works harder and always seems to be in the right place .. Muller is one of those players that doesnt seem to have many outstanding attributes..he's not particularly fast or skilful - but he is a very good player in his movement and his reading of the gane...

10. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @giles varley

I felt like Cantona agrees with every word about "jogo bonito"

JamesBH11 and giles varley repped this.
  11. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do not know why, but suddenly I felt that Van Persie resembled or at least gave a similar game as Fabiano WC10.

RvP WC14=Fabiano WC10

or is this not a right comprison?

12. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But what matters is how much a player has produced in those mileage.

RvP may indeed have a above average mileage/distance throughout the torunament, but the question is was it productive. Muller has less distance but he did produce more for his team. Muller was more key player then RvP

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I can second that

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Muller was the 2nd highest distance covered just behind Kroos in last WC2014

15. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And quite rightly he does agree !.. The world needs beautiful football.. Anybody can win playing ugly.. . Apart from brazil 2014 ! Lol

greatstriker11 and Pipiolo repped this.
  16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004

greatstriker11 repped this.
  17. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Production is not just offensive production. Production means helping your team get through, if you stop every single counter attack you just stopped the possibility of somebody scoring on you, that's as valuable as having yourself an opportunity to score.

Statistically speaking a clean sheet is more valuable than a goal, it actually takes almost 3 goals in order to equal the amount of points you get for a clean sheet

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    not really

Playing for cleansheet = 1point *tie as max
    Playing scoring gaols = 3points * chance to win game

19. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
  20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #5370 JamesBH11, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Football is NO MATH ... LOL
    Otherwise top mathematicians would have won EVERY BET in UCL WC or Euro games? LOL (or did they lose MOST games???)

Now back to real situation of last WC2014:
    - I am sure USA were playing for a "clean sheet" vs Germany but they lost in last minute
    - I am sure ALgeria played for a "clean sheet" vs Germany (they did well in 90mins) but ended up lost in ET 2-1
    - I am sure Argentina tried to play clean sheet and hope for PSO (as Romero was good in PK) and they lost in ET, after a succesful 90mins "clean"

So those 3 example ended up = 0 points
    while Germany look for a win -scoring goals = 3points

21. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    actually they hit it about 60% of the time.

every team plays for a clean sheet... no team goes out there saying.. well we need to score more than the other team and it's ok for them to score on us...
    Let me put it this way.. Mourinho uses these top mathematicians more than any other coach in the world... and guess why he's a big supporter of parking the bus and counter attacking...

Costa Rica was playing for a clean sheet... beat Italy beat Uruguay tied England
    United States was playing for a clean sheet... lost to Germany at the end, tied Portugal, beat Ghana
    Algeria was playing for a clean sheet... lost to Belgium, beat South Korea, tied Russia
    Greece was playing for a clean sheet... lost to Colombia, tied Japan, beat Ivory Coast
    Switzerland was playing for a clean sheet... beat Ecuador (last minute on counter), lost to France beat Honduras
    Holland was playing for a clean sheet... beat Spain, beat Chile, beat Australia, beat Mexico (last minute), tied Costa Rica, tied Argentina, beat Brazil.

Also... really Argentina was playing for a clean sheet? come on now... They were not parking the bus and playing the counter... that's ludicrous.

I mean.. seriously!? that's how you get your points across?
    You take teams that won and says... I am sure they were playing for a clean sheet... and also take crappy teams that didn't go anywhere?! How about this.. take teams that actually did have defensive counter mentalities like US, Algeria, Greece, Swiss, Dutch, Costa Rica and went far on the tournament?

So all of the examples I gave you teams with counter mentalities got through to the next round and even got third place!

You might be very against the math of the game still, but guess what... ALL top clubs and ALL top NTs use it already, they will take any single advantage they can find in order to win.

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #5372 JamesBH11, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Rule of THUMB:
    1- Most underdogs (only) go for clean sheet
    2- Most powerhouse teams go for SCORING to win

Now FACT and STATS (math )
    David James was the MOST CLEAN SHEET GK in EPL history with 170 -
    and Guess WHAT? he had a LOW winning % compared to others like Cech (122) or Given (108),

so that said, "play for cleansheet" do NOT necessary mean safe and win games!

However, it was like chicken and eggs, if a team is stronger .. then they would have more chance to "keep clean sheet" than say weaker team ...

23. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Here is the thing... You're looking at strong teams vs weak teams, while smarter people than us like, I don't know.. Mourinho, he believes that equal teams, the one playing for the clean sheet has a higher chance of winning, it's the reason why most teams when they are ahead will sit back and play for the clean sheet, since they have already accomplished 1 goal, instead of keep on pressing.

24. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Cruyff would agree with you on that.

Fits quite well within his philosophy of the game.

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Mourinho does not know tactics ... he simply chose the bIGGEST names , most fit physcial players and playe them ALL in defense LOL
    that's not smart but coward ,, like you pay 300K for a Ferrari, but just use it to go from house to close liquor store and buy beers LOL

Mourinho ONLY concerns one thing: not to lose game

Alex Fergusson and Arsene Wenger are really good in tactics and coaching