2014 FIFA World Cup™ Semi-Finals: Netherlands vs Argentina| Wednesday, Jul 9, 4:00 PMET

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by argentine soccer fan, Jul 6, 2014.

?

Who advances to the final?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2014.
  1. Netherlands

46 vote(s)
    50.5%
  2. Argentina

45 vote(s)
    49.5%
  1. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You'd really need to appreciate chess then.

canis repped this.
  2. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Quite the condescending, arrogant attitude you got there... I'm a neutral, and I know plenty about futbol. And I'm definitely not a hater... And I can unequivocally state that this match was booooooooriiiiing!
    And I've seen quite a few nil-nil matches that were entertaining as hell, no goals were need it to make them entertaining. This one was not it.

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  3. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am missing something, either Dutch news is behind or I ignored someone who said something to be noticed.

What did v.Gaal and Robben say ?
    Id read about the remark about Romero, the guy is class indeed.

1a Schnitzel repped this.
  4. Cariverplate246

Jun 12, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I haven't heard anything from gaal but robben did say Argentina have no chance in the final.. I'm not gonna say anything because at the end of the day...it is what it is.

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Van Gaal said sth along the lines that he taught Romero how to save penalties, but he was only joking and it was taken out of context. He actually praised Romero.

Robben said we have no chance.

Cariverplate246 repped this.
  6. Cariverplate246

Jun 12, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Romero even went to thank van gaal either way...robben is bitter and who wouldn't, getting beat by an average team just like Belgium... Sarcasm

jerrito repped this.
  7. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ah, I got it now. It appears Robben actually said it.
    It is one thing to say 'I think Germany are the favorite' , fine by me.
    Saying 'Argentina doesn't stand a change' is sour and leaves a very bad impression.

Gio D Santos 17 repped this.
  8. Cariverplate246

Jun 12, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    It's just sour, there's really no need for that

9. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Robben is an idiot He always has been one. He doesn't know how to win or to lose.
    All you need is to look at his prancing around vs Spain. Imagine Germany doing that vs Brazil
    And he can make you hate an entire team despite that team being filled with decent guys. Well him and RVP are equally bad

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Van Gaal’s comment about teaching Romero how to take PKs was made in jest during a press conference immediately after the shootout. Van Gaal said as much when asked to expand on the comment on the very next question. Van Gaal had nothing but praise for his old goal keeper.

Speaking of class, rather than continuing to rub salt into our open wounds why don’t you enjoy the
    moment and look forward toward the Germans?

Pandore repped this.
  11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1161 argentine soccer fan, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Well, taste is subjective and you are entitled to your opinion. Did you enjoy Brazil vs Germany better?

My advice is, if you'd rather watch defenders give up the ball in midfield and stand watching as the opposition easily scores rather than watch a very even and tense strategic defensive battle with everything to play for, lots of pressure and very few defensive mistakes against some of the top forwards in the world, then I would suggest that maybe basketball is the sport for you.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  12. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1162 jerrito, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    I agree to a certain extent about Germany-Brazil, but watching very skilled players take advantage of Brazil's terrible spacing and tactics was entertaining to me because we don't get to see that often with two teams of this level. It was not just the goals for me but how ruthless the Germans were in taking advantage that made it entertaining. But after twenty minutes, it began to look almost sad...

The Argentina - Netherlands match was actually a well played very tactical match, and much more typical at this level, but that does not mean that even football experts have to see the entertainment value in it. Offensively, there simply was not much to get excited about. There is nothing wrong with anyone saying it was boring, in my opinion, even if I or you did not think so. And please note that this is from someone who would buy a ticket just to watch Messi kick it about before the match. We tend to love Argentine #10s where I am from! :)

One last thing, for me because I grew up watching the Maldinis and Cannavaros of the word, I jumped out of my chair screaming when Mascherano made that perfect tackle. But not everyone finds such things entertaining, and I think that is just fine.

Sandinista, mistert06, Karloski and 2 others repped this.
  13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, that's dumb, players will pop off after a tough match and a painful loss. It's not easy to lose with dignity.

But I don't care what Robben says, I appreciate that he was an exciting player to watch throughout this WC, and will continue to be a great player to watch for as long as he plays. Even when he's well marked, as he was by Argentina, I was always getting scared every time the ball got close to him. He's one of those players who make the game so much fun and nerve-wracking.

Pindakaas and jerrito repped this.
  14. Incidental Lurker

Incidental Lurker New Member

Jul 3, 2014
    I have no idea where or when Robben supposedly said what is commented on here.
    I asume a scewered translation once again. In the interviews i have seen he was gracefull.

15. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course fans of either side have to defend their team ^^. Understandable. It was still shit as a neutral viewer. Why? Because you can also when you have the ball play fast and offensively then the other team can counterattack....so many possibilities. I want to see that in a semi final. Even Brazil had a lot of chances and tried everything they could.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  17. logout

logout Member

Jun 29, 2006
    It was both, a tactical masterpiece and a bit boring.

MrOranjeBal and jerrito repped this.
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A captain has more than on-field responsibilities. Messi is great off the field, and a star on. But the on-field leader is Masche, no question. And you'll find that quite often, that the one with the armband may not be the on-field leader.

19. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    If you're going to bring up doping, you might as well recall every medal ever won by a Warsaw Pact nation (some western ones also), pretty much all top 25 or so finishers of almost all past bicycle races....and a whole bunch of other stuff.

20. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    If a tactical masterpiece consists of both teams concentrating on shutting down the opposition, especially the main threat, then this was it.

One could also look at this game as a disappointment as both teams concentrated so much on the above, that neither played to their own strengths. It led to a boring game to watch with minimal creativity, with most of it spent watching defenders pass to each other.

1a Schnitzel repped this.
  21. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually, a tactical masterpiece would mean that not only did you shut down the opponents main threat and stop them creating chances....but that you also exploited the oppositions weaknesses when going forward (whether that be with build up or counter attack)....and ultimately won the game in regulation time. That is not what happened.

It doesn't surprise me that most of the people lauding this as a fantastic tactical game...are fans of the team that advanced. Their team is in the final of a WC, and thus the elation has removed some objectivity.

castleton and tripwire repped this.
  22. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    My tactical masterpiece assessment would be similar to yours. That's why i started my first sentence with "If". Some people have a different definition.

For me, this game was a defensive tactical match, which severely lacked the offensive creativity to make it a total tactical masterpiece. Guys like Macherano and Vlaar shined defensively. Nobody else stood out in this stalemate.

zahzah and Karloski repped this.
  23. logout

logout Member

Jun 29, 2006
    This is what the Italians did so perfectly in 2000. Without the winning it all part in the final. But I admired their performances back then. Deserved the title a tiny bit more than the French with Zidane in his peak time, imho. Catenaccio can be beautiful.

What you described, would be a tactical masterpiece from one team. What we saw was a tactical masterpiece from both sides. Hence, no (major) mistakes or weaknesses and eventually no goals.

Pindakaas and jerrito repped this.
  24. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Perhaps you didn't comprehend my post or what it was in response to.. Did you miss the part where I said that a nil-nil match can be very entertaining? Where in my post did I imply that a high scoring match is the only measure of a good match?... Am sorry you're offended, but this was a boring match. And like I told your countryman, it's condescending and arrogant and simply dumb to dismiss those who found it boring as being "haters" or "neutrals who don't know a thing about football".

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am of the opinion that to truly be able to appreciate football you should be able to appreciate good defense.

Would you say -as a fan who knows a thing about football- that there was good defense played in the Argentina vs Holland match?

Maybe it's because when I played I was a fullback, but I loved the defense in this match, on both sides. I had to watch it again just to appreciate the great defense that managed to control some of the world's top attacking players, because the first time I watched it the whole thing was way too intense and nerve-wracking to fully appreciate it.

soccernutter repped this.