2014 FIFA World Cup™ Round of 16: Netherlands vs Mexico | Sun, Jun 29, 12:00 PM

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by JohnnyFutbol, Jun 25, 2014.

1. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. Rush1862

Rush1862 Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    @football_oranje: After damaging his hamstring, Leroy Fer is to miss the game with Mexico on Sunday, and could be out for the QF if the Dutch progress. #NED

Overachiever repped this.
  3. Tuco

Tuco Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Who-who-who will take Vazquez's role? That's one of the questions that's bothering me, seeing as how there's always a chance Herrera might be moved back into that position.

4. Rush1862

Rush1862 Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Salcido or Guardado (Fabian would play Guardis spot)

LGRod repped this.
  5. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Mexico wins in penalties after a 2-2 game. Netherlands has the ball more, but it is a higher scoring version of Mexico-Brazil

LGRod repped this.
  6. Slotback

Slotback Member

Jun 19, 2004
    The Dutch have been absolutely rampant so far. Mexico has played well. This might just be the best game of the second round.

Pipiolo, jerrito and LGRod repped this.
  7. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Van Persie back and rested the Dutch breeze

8. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Unfortunately i think ochoa will fu this one. Netherlands by a couple.

9. AaronVonNagel

AaronVonNagel New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    My worry, as always, has been in regards to the Dutch defense. They've looked shaky in all 3 group games, but no one has capitalized on it yet. Mexico have some good speed and sneaky attackers, I think they will give Holland a good run for their money. I expect goals.

10. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I picked Mexico to get to the semifinals in my office pool and everyone thought I was crazy. Right now, I still like my pick. Whoever wins this game will get to the semis. Mexico has played extremely well in all three games. I think the Netherlands are still favorites because they have in Robben and Van Persie - the strongest combination of two players any team. But if Mexico can take this the distance with good defense (and goalkeeping), and keep their fans in the game, they could pull an upset.

Socrates_81, LGRod and JohnnyFutbol repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 of the 4 teams in this part of the bracket are exciting - only Greece is not that interesting. But if Mexico beat the Dutch, that will be extremely good, and if they keep up that level might make the final...

jerrito and LGRod repped this.
  12. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    Yea their defense where more concentrated against Chile. I agree , the first half against Spain and then against Australia they looked shaky . This will be a good game indeed , I hope it doesn't get decided early with a red card or bogus penalty .

DutchLion repped this.
  13. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm with you on this. i like Colombia-Uruguay, too, and US v. Belgica is interesting, but Het Oranje v El Tri is a sweet matchup.

Memo may have to reprise his performance against Brasil.

LGRod repped this.
  14. Rush1862

Rush1862 Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

@mexicoworldcup: Holland prepare to face Mexico fearing their worst nightmare: penalties | Ben Lyttleton http://gu.com/p/3qfbp/tw via @Guardian

LGRod repped this.
  15. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Netherlands has arguably been the best team in this tournament so far that being sad I find it hard to make a prediction . Even if Mexico scores first the ending result can be something like Mexico 1 - 2 Netherlands .

I'm somewhat optimistic about Mexico being able to win .

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Just don't let it come down to a PK shootout. I doubt we could even bet England if came down to penalties.

17. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    This game is at noon, in Fortaleza, Brazil.
    Weather is roughly 86-88 degrees with 68-75% humidity.
    Advantage: Mexico.

LGRod repped this.
  18. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Netherlands has been doing great under that weather .

19. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006
    Ya but they are still white.

OG Junglist, DutchLion and LGRod repped this.
  20. LAKings90

LAKings90 New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Netherlands will win IMO. Mexico is playing well but I have a feeling this might go to extra time and van persie/robben might be too much but who knows? Ochoa has been great.

21. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006
    This game is also dependent on the ref. Holland have been fouling the crap out of everyone and got away with it. Mexico had really bad calls against them for no reason.

LGRod repped this.
  22. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Maybe we can get a clear penalty hehe

23. LAKings90

LAKings90 New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Chile had to deal with the rough tackles but I felt Chile didn't take advantage of it like they played against Spain. Mexico has gotten bad calls against them but hopefully they can overcome it. I just think the Dutch might be too talented

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    1. We prefer to be called pasty.
    2. Perhaps you should look at our roster.
    3. If you do we win the faux melanin war

25. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm a fan of a Holland been a fan since 94 but they are playing dark football not beautiful Dutch football at all. They are playing pure reaction football, cannot hold possession, no build up from the back just hoofing the ball to Robben and RVP. This is the worst Holland WC team in terms of talent in over 40 years. The defense is suspect full of Eredivise back line. I understand Van Gaal is doing the best with what he has but Cillessen kicking the ball to the other end to Robben and RVP is not going to get the job done in the end. I'm happy with the results but not the play. If this play continues for the dutch the Dutch style will change irreversibly for the worse.

Still favorites over Mexico but Mexico is a tournament team euro teams have done poorly anything can happen.