2014 FIFA World Cup™ Round of 16: Costa Rica vs Greece | Sun, Jun 29, 4:00 PM

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by EvanJ, Jun 26, 2014.

1. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    They wont win it , be realistic.As I had said previously , Italy and Uruguay underestimated them , thats how they lost, while England totally dominated them ,and they got a draw. However a squad full of dicipline.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It's easy to inflate your attacking stats when you are playing against 10 men for effectively an hour.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's still a lot more people than Uruguay.

Chesco United and Pipiolo repped this.
  4. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't eat each other or they'd probably be about the same.

Christina99 repped this.
  5. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Thats not what you said when we playd vs japan and we were 10.All everyone said was Japan deserved a win, even when the shots and chances were even. Everyone hated greece.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I actually said Japan were stupid for continually crossing into a congested box containing tall Greek players who are good in the air. It was a naive strategy that cost them and benefited you.

7. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    well i am get used to it.

8. kaizer5

kaizer5 Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What are you talking about ? I don't hate on Greece (I was rooting for them) , but come on , they had their chances.
    They didn't convert. Just like Japan didn't seize the moment when they were up a man. Just like civ didn't take the game to Greece and got " greeced" late. They actually outplayed cr in the first half but didn't convert on the great cross of holebas to salpiggidis. You have to make that to win these games. Same for mitroglou , at point blank range late in overtime. Have to make that too ! Not to mention the 5 v 2 and many other lackluster corners and set pieces they just bumbled away, all while being up a man since the 65 minute. At the end of the day, they got beat, much the way they have beaten other teams before , as the under dog , Cinderella. However this time , it was an even smaller nation getting the breaks and a Cinderella that has now knocked out Italy , England and Greece(now you know what the Czechs and Portuguese felt like in 04).

Congrats to Costa Rica and concacaf.

9. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Anyways, can't understand why you were against a Greek team when you re from Europe. Losing teams gives the other confederations chances to take spots from us,thus making 3rd-tier teams like Scotland say goodbye from future WC.You can have your reasons,its just that the whole match was a disaster,and my psychology and pride is a mess.Noone going to say we sucked this match or played pure defence against a newbie team.We are proud,and till next Euro/Mundial ,we ll get better. Vamos Grecia,Vamos CostaRica!

10. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    #285 GreekAttackSux, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    The 5v2 ended up in:
    A shot
    On Target
    On Motherf*cking-[mod edit - unnecessary]-lookalike-GK
    On his leg
    MVP:Navas' leg

11. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Ticos. Your team has earned everything they have gotten in this tournament.

Beat Holland!

12. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wait, what about FIFA's anti-CONCACAF, pro-UEFA conspiracy?

13. kaizer5

kaizer5 Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #288 kaizer5, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    That is a very poor choice of words. I know your upset . You may want to edit that.
    It's not the keepers fault , they squandered a 5 v 2 , and the 16 shot the ball right at him. Which is what mitroglou and salpiggidis did too on their golden chances. Absolutely can not miss those.
    That's the difference between winning and losing. I appreciate great defense but you have to finish.
    That was the difference between this team and 04. They didn't just do it today, it was the same in all their group games due to combination of bad luck and no world class or top striker. They could have had 2 goals with Colombia but didn't . Could have snatched a winner late with Japan but didn't. Could have even scored more with civ but needed a late generous call.
    I'm sorry but samaras (just ask Celtic fans ) and an unfit mitroglou and karagounis taking your set pieces ??
    You ain't going anywhere with that . Valiant effort overall , but lacking overall quality and .....the final touch .
    Don't mind the Romanian and Portuguese haters , it was a good ride.

soccernutter repped this.
  14. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    i have to agree with you.

15. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    they were too low...

16. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    This is my take on the match. I think Costa Rica would have coasted to a fairly comfortable win if the red card had not happened. Greece would have been forced to move up and the space it created would have been easy to exploit.

17. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Sorry, guys, but unless you're a fan of either Costa Rica or Greece, this was just about the most sleep-inducing knock-out match I've seen in a while.

zahzah, Conifeertje and Eliezar repped this.
  18. kaizer5

kaizer5 Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I disagree , two cinderellas , two small nations, fighting for their first birth to the quarter finals ?
    Extra time and pks made it very dramatic. What a great run by CR.

19. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    2 uncalled Croatia handballs (one a PK) vs Mex, uncalled PK for CR against Italy,

And in this match, yet another uncalled PK handball to benefit the Greeks. Ref did everything he could to help Greece, including different standards for fouls and yellows for each team.

futbol in Miami, Outburstz and Eliezar repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was I supposed to see? Did Greece have more conversions than Costa Rica? :confused:

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So happy for the Ticos, 3rd CONCACAF country to make the quarters.

23. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You were a man up for 60 minutes, dude. Of course you dominated possession.

BTW, you should have been down to 10 men as well. Intentional handball in the box = red card. Greece would probably have been down 2-0 on the scoreboard as well, the way CR shoots PKs.

24. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL

25. st4vr0s

st4vr0s New Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Why all this hate for greece? Its football. We are the viewers not the players. Teams need to win in every way possible. Im greek. My eyes hurt when i see my team. I wish there were 3-4 players like ronaldo or james rodriguez or messi in my team. But we never produced players with these qualities. We produce defenders. So we play defensively and boring. The players need to win and not to entertain us. If these two can coexist then its a win/win situation for players and viewers. I read that greece was incompetent because we couldn't score a second goal while costa rica was playing with 10 and parking the bus. I never read that the teams we have beaten were incompetent against us. Only that we park the bus and how boring we play. Bullshit. Portugal in 2004 was incompetent. Czech was incompetent. Tremendous quality, world class players and you cant find a way to score? Show some respect about the heart and passion that this team shows.from 2004 till now we enter every competition with having one of the top 3 worst rosters in every tournament. You are constantly talking bad about this team. Didnt read anything about karagounis today. 37years old and he run about 14km in 120 minutes. But no lets talk about his shitty set pieces. Bad critics and thrash talking because you didnt enjoyed the match. Its not fifa but real football.

svelten and canis repped this.