2014 FIFA World Cup™ Quarter-Finals: Netherlands vs Costa Rica|Sat, Jul 5, 4:00 PMET

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by JohnnyFutbol, Jul 2, 2014.

?

Team to Advance

Poll closed Jul 4, 2014.
  1. Netherlands

80.0%
  2. Costa Rica

20.0%
  1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Are you asking me?

My comment was made in jest, I thought that was obvious... the irony of Krul getting tossed after Van Gaal made the last minute switch. Obviously there was not going to be a red card. A yellow would have been harsh, but not out of the realm of possibility. Instead Kurl got a verbal warning as he properly should have and we went on with the shootout.

2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    C'mon Puck. I've got posts all over this site in which my opinion of Dutch football as well as that of the Eredivise are well known. Heck my opinion of Louis Van Gaal is also no secret. The one comment in about Argentina which you got taken to task by not just myself but others was warranted.

Ultimately when it comes to scenarios in football more often than not the rules can be interpreted in any number of ways, it's part of the game for better or for worse. With you it's black (your view) or white (the view of anybody that doesn't agree with you). Can you at least admit that the no-call on Joel Campbell in the box could have been called a pk and it would have been as good a call as it was a bad no-call?

3. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Very convenient criteria for not including the many defeats against Brazil and Argentina in matches that were played very seriously with the prime teams

Pipiolo repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #654 PuckVanHeel, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    No way. There was no arm and no leg involved. No contact with any arms, no contact with any leg.

As I said: "This is not true. In the many discussions we had you never said so. Period. For sure."

I can quote a number of examples:
    Etcetera, etcetera.

I don't care which country you like or don't like, but I have never understood it in this way and it would have prevented a lot of 'issues'. In any case, the point stands: attacking others for biased perception while wielding itself.
    If one is such a passionate fan of Argentina (which I knew) and doesn't like Netherlands (that is clear now), it is not strange you see me as an Argentina hater whenever I say something 'negative'.

5. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I guess you've run out of responses. Time to trot out the "troll" slur. :p

Grew up 25 minutes from the German border, so they are my second team.

6. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Very convenient? A friendly is a friendly. Unlimited substitutions, coaches trying out various lineups and combinations, club teams refusing to release players to play in it , etc. etc. They are not competitive matches.

7. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Hey dude, you were the one that tried to pass off Brazil's 12-4 record against Germany as something significant, without disclosing that 15 of those 16 matches were either friendlys or pseudo-friendlys.

8. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but baiting people into arguments that are disrupting and off-topic and keeping them endless by resorting to sophistry makes you a troll indeed.
    In other words you are someone bragging about the quality of other nation's football. :cool: The REAL Germans here actually respect Brazil. Even the German coach said it will be the game of their lives.

Case closed. :p

9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Like this perhaps?

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moishe, Treehouse, Falc and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    See my earlier response. You started it by providing misleading data. When I called you on it, you tied yourself in knots trying to recover, then finally gave up and threw out the troll slur.

Just be more careful with your data next time, and we won't have a problem.

BTW, nice dodge about not respecting Brazil. My problem was what you wrote, and not with Brazil. I've never said anything perjorative about Brazil, here or anywhere else on this board. You are welcome to go back and look for it, but it doesn't exist.

11. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks. In case you haven't noticed I already quit this discussion. If you don't have anything better to do, I recommend washing a sink full of dishes, trimming the fence or taking a walk with your dog.

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Or the beach dudes... You can always go to the beach :)

VFish and FiveXChampion repped this.
  13. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You quit the discussion, but here you are again. :p

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    DutchLion repped this.
  15. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Are you really going to bed here? Is it even your house? :D

I actually think it is worse to bring a dispute onto another thread. Better to continue here where it is quiet than bother others. But this one has run its course.

16. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Shoulder against back is foul, period. I don´t mean this play was a penalty, I just state that not only with your arms and legs can you foul. Ask Suarez :D.
    As for my personal opinion, I think it probably was, but not deserving of a call. Otherwise we would get 5 pk a match.

jerrito, PuckVanHeel and DutchLion repped this.
  17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not all friendlies played, especially before the mid-90s, had unlimited substitutions and experimental lineups. A year after Argentina beat West Germany in the WC86 final, they had a friendly in Buenos Aires that Argentina won 1-0 with a goal by Burruchaga. Both sides fielded their best available players, with three substitutions per team.

So that means that Brazil has a 100% record against Germany then :thumbsup:

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I'm with the Dane on this one (unfortunately I've run him off). Europeans don't give a rats ass about tournaments that aren't the World or European Cup.

jerrito repped this.
  19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Then Germany wouldn't have sent its best players to the match, but they did and still lost.

20. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Match was played in December, nine days before Christmas. You think the Germans even wanted to be there?

Also, here is a photo from the match.

[​IMG]

Look at all the empty seats. Even the Argentines didn't care. Why? Because it was just a friendly, of course.

21. Tuco

Tuco Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm not the one linking WSJ to Daily Mail.

The "study" referred to above is pretty poor and so reinforced my perception of WSJ as the newspaper I wouldn't bother checking for my football information.

Moishe repped this.
  22. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    #672 waitforit, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Yes. And Norway has a 100% record vs Brazil that is equally relevant

And man for a guy who insists that friendlies do matter your compatriots sure did insist that Romania's draw is irrelevant. And it's relevant damm it! They even included lots of footage from the friendly for the adidas all or nothing commercial :p

I don't care what you believe either that they don't matter or that they matter but I want people to be consistent. Not they matter when it suits your argument.

I for one believe friendlies are pointless and UEFA agrees hence they invented UEFA Nations League
    http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The reason for the Nations League is not because they are pointless, but because they can see more bucks if the 'big brands' play more often and regularly against each other, at the expense/exclusion of the smaller teams (excluded from the top tiers). It's the Champions League formula applied to international football.

24. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    That's true. I think you mean arse though.

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What would Germany not want to be there, Christmas season is awesome in Argentina, arguably far more festive than in Germany. Match attendance was 45,000 on a stadium with 50,000 capacity, those are good numbers.

http://twb22.blogspot.com/2012/02/friendly-1987-argentina-x-west-germany.html

That's also accurate, however the context is not the same. Norway beat Brazil in a match when Brazil was already qualified as first place, whereas Brazil beat Germany in none other than a WC final. I'm sure you can see a difference in significance there :whistling:

In regards to Argentina vs Romania, the draw counts to their historical head to head record. Argentina obviously did not play to its potential, it's not the first time it's done that.