2014 FIFA World Cup™ Quarter-Finals: France vs Germany|Fri, Jul 4, 12:00 PMET

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by JohnnyFutbol, Jul 2, 2014.

?

Team to Advance

Poll closed Jul 3, 2014.
  1. France

48.7%
  2. Germany

51.3%
  1. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    why did this match looked like a meaningless friendly?

Calcio Pauly, kakuen and Cariverplate246 repped this.
  2. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Nope. Considering the only teams to even draw with Germany and score against them have been African teams, I am convinced Nigeria v Germany would have been better in every aspect. France was pathetic, they didn't have the ref guiding them through this time.

zahzah repped this.
  3. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They chose to lose by a small difference rather than risking everything for an equalizer. Maybe they forgot that group stage is over.

Pipiolo repped this.
  4. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Disappointing match by us. But Germany deserved the win. Cruel that Varane had his worst match in Bleu today, he's been excellent every other game he has had.

Congrats to Germany, especially Hummels and also Neuer.

Surprised that Cabaye was subbed off, other than some cynical fouls I thought he was one of the few we had other than Pogba (who wasn't involved enough yet did fine when he was) who actually wasn't sloppy.

And to those who thought it was a boring game, believe me, there's been worse in this World Cup... but given this had the potential to emerge as a great game, it's disappointing, no doubt.

Again, well done Germany.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    neither. it was great play by hummels and for varane...

[​IMG]

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    looks like vancity has not stopped his vapid sour grapes trolling about a match that doesn't concern his team at all.

condor11, Pandore and SuperSebGrimaldi repped this.
  7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This game gave watching paint dry a great run for its money! Not even a strong and cagey display...no real urgency and Germany only really succeeded France by being first to the ball a few more times!

Christina99 and FiveXChampion repped this.
  8. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Congratulations to Germany.

LoewenBoy repped this.
  9. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree they should have risked more toward the end. Too conservative. Why take off Valbuena for instance? Take off a DM.

10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    While you're taking about 2012, does 2006 not count?

11. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    DD's a conservative manager. And likely was troubled at how easily Germany broke on the counter in when Schurrle had that opportunity to put the game beyond us. Also, Valbuena was poor. Though he did have a good tournament otherwise (similar to Varane).

12. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree that Valbuena shouldn't have come off but in fairness to Deschamps he's in a dilemma there. If he substitutes yet another defender for a striker then what would they do in extratime with no defense on the pitch and half the team being strikers?

Redshift repped this.
  13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i agree absolutely with the first part, but see the debuchy/klose incident the same way. move along folks, nothing going on here.

i didn't see any tactical fouls by france that deserved cards, except maybe cabaye's last one: for repetition. the only fouls that deserved cards in and of themselves were the two that got them. i think the ref did a great job.

jerrito and SuperSebGrimaldi repped this.
  14. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    except Italy in 2012
    Just like Barca. The rule is true for everyone in the last 7 years except for Atletico last year

15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    o_O Uhm... Didn't I just say that??!!

16. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They haven't played a CONMEBOL team yet. They will play one in the semi, whether it's Brasil or Colombia.

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    correction: france had more possibilities to be dangerous around the box but were too sloppy to get anything out of them.

18. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #243 Redshift, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    Improvise. If you lose in regulation, there IS no extra time.

mistert06 repped this.
  19. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yeah, too bad Nigeria never had the opportunity to play in this match instead of France.:rolleyes:

guignol repped this.
  20. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I am convinced Bosnia vs Germany would have been a better match:D

dna77054 and guignol repped this.
  21. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    To be fair I think even Germany-Austria 1982 was a better match than today's :)

Hayaka and zahzah repped this.
  22. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What a boring game!!! Wow... this was supposed to be a classic. SNORE!!!!

I guess when thats what happens to this talentless French squad when they can't hack themselves to success.

23. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think France were better than Nigeria. But funnily enough I think Nigeria would have been tougher for Germany to beat than France
    Sounds perhaps like a contradiction but I don't think it is.

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the problem was the opposite... a bit too much urgency... in the form of precipitation. the balls over the defense were working OK for a while, but by mixing it up the result would have been better. and at the end those long balls were just orphans.

au contraire! THIS is what a serious match, which means everything and is played with determination, concentration and good judgement looks like. it may not be as shaggy as the brazilian D3 but germany doesn't owe neutral fans tittilation. they owe their own fans victory and that's what they gave them.

yes, that's a crisp one... never heard it before. but you forgot the cheese eating part.

actually one of the least accurate misconceptions peddled about XX century history. the french army was poorly led and very badly beaten in 1940. but those 6 weeks saw among the most violent combat of the whole war. casualties were atrocious. the french air force was practically annihilated, but destroyed or damaged more luftwaffe planes in one month than the RAF did in four.

of course in american history books that was cowardice, and the retreat from dunkirk was heroism.

so since we're rewriting history, let's agree that nigeria-germany would have been a much better match.

25. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not the most exciting game indeed but Germany played it out smart and conserved energy for the next game.
    France let Germany play too easy, what happened too all that power from the previous France matches?

Germany a deserved winner and I see them reach the final.

zahzah repped this.