2014 FIFA World Cup™ 3rd Place: Brazil vs Netherlands, pre-game discussion.

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by puyol, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I know no one gives a **** but here it is :cautious:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal says having to complete a World Cup third-place play-off match is "unfair".

"This match should never be played. I've been saying that for 10 years; it's unfair," said Van Gaal,

"There is only one award that counts and that is becoming world champions."

Van Gaal added: "The worst thing is that there is a chance you are going to lose twice in a row.

"And in a tournament in which you have played so marvellously well you go home as a loser.

[​IMG]

"Life goes on, we need to look forward to our next goal, and our next goal is to win the match for third place," Scolari said. "We have to play it. It has become our main goal."

"The players' lives won't end because of this loss. It happened and from now on they will continue being the players that they are," Scolari said. "They will continue playing for Brazil and we will continue to be one of the best teams in the world. Probably many of these players will play for Brazil in 2018."

"We have to be professional and we have to show our character," midfielder Fernandinho said. "We need to get through these three days and play well on Saturday to try to finish third."

soccernutter repped this.
  2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, normally I'm not too bothered by 3rd place games, but for this one I'm quite intrigued to see how Brazil react... and Holland of course.... in order for Holland to get one over their rival Germany - they'll have to hit at least 8...

3. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    As a brazilian who wants the best for the country, I'll be supporting Netherlands in this one.
    I hope they give Brazil a trashing to be remembered.

This is the only way to bring down the "6-minutes blackout thesis".

In order to bring CBF down and rearrange everyything, we need to leave the tournament in shambles so everyone can be sure about how bad the team is and how terrible the whole preparation was.

Holland 5-0 is what I'm hoping for.

Bring it on!

PS: this is still the best World Cup ever and I'm really proud of Brazil - the country.

4. Adrianb1983

Adrianb1983 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Brazil 8 - Holland 7.
    4 red cards.
    2 broken legs.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  5. magisterlucius

Nov 10, 2003
    Roseburg, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louis Van G doesn't want to play. Scolari is an arrogant, repulsive, big-headed old douchebag according to his own team and you should see the things his enemies say. Positively rated XXX. This might be the first match in history that will go 90min without anyone kicking the ball.

6. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is NOTHING good that can come from a third place game. The players are tired. The game means nothing. They are playing on very short rest and the Dutch with miniscule rest. There are only two potential outcomes.
    1. A very boring game where the players take no chances (which is what I would do).
    2. It turns violent because one or two guys go in with an attitude and somebody gets seriously hurt.

Just one more case where FIFA needs to pull their heads out from where the sun doesn't shine and make some changes to their archaic view of football.

Incidental Lurker repped this.
  7. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am in doubt, watch this game or skip it.
    Its a pointless exercise imposed on 2 teams just for the money.

But ok, I might as well watch a part of it. Last 20 minutes or so.

I don't think it is appropriate to wish any of the teams good luck :whistling:

8. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Technically, should this thread even be in the "knockout rounds" subforum? :D

I suppose it's like a high profile friendly to start rebuilding.

soccernutter and jerrito repped this.
  9. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
  10. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    LVG is absolutely right. Imagine making it to the semi finals, which is a big deal for any team, and then losing twice. It's way too much disappointment. The two semi finalists should just be listed as being in joint 3rd place.

In any case, I like Holland and I feel bad that they've never won a World Cup despite being worthy of it many times, but after Brazil's loss, I can't help but feel for them (especially David Luiz and Thiago Silva) and all their supporters. Can't both teams just win?

11. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Pandore,

I think the Seleção want to play one last game in this WC to try to mitigate some of the bad taste they left in the fans' mouths and create a slightly better impression. It probably won't work very well.

magisterlucius repped this.
  12. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Weird
    By their public declarations I would have say the opposite

13. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hope it works. I feel for Holland too, so it's hard for me to root for one side, so I will just root for both. I will say though that David Luiz's post match interview almost made me cry!

Brazil should be proud regardless. They hosted an amazing world cup and they are still way more successful than any of us. We've all had our ups and downs with our teams. I was depressed for weeks in 2006 after France lost in the final and probably even more depressed for how my biggest idol was disrespected. Eventually, I started to look forward and focus less on the past. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that hopefully Brazil can use this as a catalyst for significant and positive change.

Surinamese-man, jerrito and Redshift repped this.
  14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    This is one World Cup game I never bother to watch. I agree with Van Gaal that it should be scrapped.

15. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    I would have hated if Argentina had had to play for the third place
    Better going home

16. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Brazil will come back as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow
    And I am argentine.

17. Tuco

Tuco Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I understand it must be frustrating to have to play this match -- especially if the Dutch media seem to call it a "troostfinale" (consolation final) more often than "Third-Place match" -- but it also strikes me as poor sportsmanship to come across as being a sore loser who doesn't want to play anymore because he wasn't #1. Ok then, field a B-team, get your FA and players some cash, and improve your seeding chances for the next WC. In short, quit whining and play the game.

svelten repped this.
  18. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I think it's about giving the teams in the final 3 days rest. It's better that way and frankly the 3rd place game was always a better game than the final itself
    France 98 was the exception

19. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is usually more fluid and therefore more entertaining, but it is strange to (usually) see so little tension in a World Cup match. To be honest, I watch it only because at that moment, there is no other match to watch.

20. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    imho you are a tiny bit quick with judging Tuco. Sore looser and poor sportsmanship?

The point is everyone is (or should be) at the tournament wanting to win it or get as far as possible.
    Not getting into the final (or advanced) should be the end.

You don't see games for places #5 till #8 do you? Well, it is because advancing thru the knockout
    round(s) is basically just that, loose = out, winner advances.

For the #3/#4 someone at FIFA masterminded that there should be enough ppl willing to pay for that game.
    Hence it is played, winner gets a shiny medal "#3", FIFA more money.

But in the end, a tournament has very little to do with places #3 and lower.
    I don't remember who was #3 on any other previous WC, not one.

If this view makes me 'a sore looser' or 'bad sportsman' I agree we disagree.

Pandore and jerrito repped this.
  21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unless you really go into the record books, nobody really cares who finishes third. Yes, the games can be more free flowing compared to the routine KO matches. As long as FIFA continue with this meaningless match they really need to change the instructions to the match referee and take a very hard line against dangerous play. Anything that is in anyway borderline should be met with an immediate Yellow card. The type of football that BRA has played in this tournament to this point would be prohibited in a third place game.

It's also ridiculous to force a team to play on three days rest. I doubt we will see Robben or van Persie in this match.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Or anyone with any kind of slight knock.

23. Tuco

Tuco Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree, we disagree. =)

You do make good points, and I see where you're coming from. All the same, I think the key issue here is that different teams see the third place match differently, precisely because they had different expectations surrounding their performance in the WC.

When I look back on previous bronze matches, I recall seeing some good matches, most of which featured 'surprise' semi-finalists (Sweden, Croatia, Turkey, Uruguay). These teams treated the "meaningless" match meaningfully insofar they displayed a real intention to go out and win. This is similar to how already-disqualified teams approach their final ("meaningless") group match: they don't all see it as a boring chore.

Moreover, last WC's third place match gave Müller and Forlan the chance to fight it out for the Golden Boot, something not all players consider meaningless. In that respect, a third place match can be seen as a reward for teams to play another WC match.

That said, I agree with those who say referee's should receive special emphasis to actually cut down on so many of the dirty fouls we've seen this WC.

soccernutter, jerrito and DutchLion repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the type of comment coming from fans of traditional football powers. The same comment were probably not said in 1994 (Sweden v. Bulgaria), in 1998 (from the Croatian side), 2002 (South Korea v. Turkey). Not that the teams were not tired, but the idea of getting to play for the fans one more time is enough. In fact, I remember some comments from the Sweden team in '94 (Ravelli?) saying something similar.

But when it comes to the traditional teams, like Netherlands and Brasil, I understand. Those teams are in the tournament to win, not just play well. So I understand van Gaal's comments, or comments from coaches, players, and fans of those teams.

magisterlucius, DutchLion and jerrito repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, 20 years later and I am still kicking myself for passing up the opportunity to watch the '94 3rd place - was a much better match than the final.

jerrito repped this.