2014 FIFA WC QLF, AFC: Group B

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Nurafshon, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Group B: Australia, Japan, Iraq, Jordan, Oman

2. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Australia and Iraq in the same group again.

3. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Can't wait! Very happy with this draw.

4. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I'm happy with this Group as well :D we are going to play only 2 matches in June instead of 3 (in the second and the 2th of June - 9 days resting). We will play against Jordan (away) and Oman (home) and both of these matches near to Qatar, our home (no traveling problems), so I'm hoping for early 6 points.

Then 3 months preparing for Japan (away) and 2 more months preparing for Australia (Home).

If we can get 7~9 points from the first 4 matches then we'll be in a good and safe position in our group :D

5. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Good Luck my friend))
    I am feeling that you will qualify:cool:

6. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Thanks bro :D and Good Luck to Uzbekistan too. I always had the feeling that Uzbekistan will make to the world cup and this is your time ;) your team is the strongest team in the moment IMO. :D

7. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    I hope we will do it not by beautiful words but by actions this time:D:p

8. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Inshallah you will ;)

9. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, looks like the typical "walk in the park" for Japan and Australia.

10. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    Good luck to Iraq, Mussab. With much love from the people of Kuwait. [​IMG]

11. amrizzle

amrizzle Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Footballistan
    Quite happy with the draw. I think Iraq should be looking at least to finish in the play off. No reason for us not to believe we can upset the Aussies or even Japan.

Looking forward to this! :D

12. Dohahah

Dohahah Member

Feb 21, 2012
    US, Qatar
    Club:
    Al Sadd SC Doha
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    Oman has a chance because Oman is familiar with Arab teams. It is also familiar with Japan as it met Japan many times in the past Asia Cups and Asian and world qualifiers. Oman is also going to be more confident playing against Australia because of the victory they had against the Australians in Muscat. So don't rule them out. Oman is the kind of team that can uplift its confidence and motivate itself very suddenly. It has done this before in smaller levels but nothing stops them from doing the same again.

Oman's only problem is also Qatar's problem. Both countries need to score goals in order to win games. Qatar drew too many games in the last round because of lack of goals against Bahrain home and away and Iran in Doha. Oman is in a similar position because they do not score many goals. The Omani offense is talented but the squad is also very small compared to other squads. This might cause them problems if any injuries occur.

I think Oman can beat Iraq, Jordan any place. Oman's problem might be against Japan and Australia, especially away. It will be quite difficult but I think Australia finishes first, Japan finishes second and Oman will play against the third of our group and hopefully it will not be against us. :D

13. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I feel like if Oman plays like they do against Saudi and Australia last round, they can certainly take points away from teams away. Especially if Al-Habsi is on his game.

14. hoos

hoos Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Australia
    Wow, the groups could've been a bit more interesting couldn't they.

For Australia, Japan again. Oman again. Iraq again. Who will probably play out of their skins against us. Again.

At least we've never played Jordan before, which provides at least some interest. I really thought it didn't matter who were drawn against as far as quality is concerned, because I think the pots are much more even than 4 years ago.

But it would have been good to play against teams we haven't faced since joining the AFC like Iran, simply for the sake of variety. Some Australians talk about the '97 matches, getting revenge blah blah blah, but I don't care about that. It was 15 years ago FFS, get over it! I just wanted to play against them because they're more or less the same quality as Japan, and provide a point of difference.

15. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    kewell will never get his revenge now.:D

16. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What the hell's with lots of the Aussie fans going "They play out of their skin against us" when referring to Iraq?

Now I've only watched a few Iraq matches (inc. 1 live in the AC11), but unless these Aussie fans who make these claims can back that up by actually watching Iraq play a multitude of opponents. Then they can't conclude that they "play out of their skin". Maybe they're simply better than you thought they were.

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Confidence and belief is a big thing. Iraq is a good side, but so is Uzbekistan. Iraq actually believe they can beat us so play with confidence against us and usually at their best. Right now, I don't believe Uzbekistan think they can beat us so they play a bit more tentatively and defensively and that makes for an easier game. Uzbekistan are rarely at their best against us, and Iraq usually are.

18. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You can't say they are at their best unless you've seen iraq play several several times. For all you know it's just their standard. And tbh, a 2007 win with G.Arnold Australia and a win in Iraq in the 3rd round of 2010 WCQ isn't exactly making me think the Iraqi's have the Aussie's number necessarily.

I agree about Uzbekistan not performing against Australia. But then when it's counted (ie 4th round last time, or AC late rounds) they haven't ever shown up to the stage yet.

Though I wouldn't say Iraq are usually at their best against Australia, I just think they play like they usually do and don't choke simply cause it's Australia. Uzbekistan tend to do surprisingly badly which is a mental block they have against Australia more than anything.

19. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Obviously you haven't understood what I said (probably my fault for not expressing it clearly), as you just repeat the same arguements. I've compared Iraq and Uzbekistan and used them as examples. Iraq don't drop their bundle against us and play to the best of their ability. I haven't stated that they play better against us than other nations, just that they play at or close to their best against us as we don't have a psychological edge against them. The games are close because I recognise that Iraq are pretty good (as are we IMO). Uzbekistan play much better against other countries than they do against us because of a lack of self belief (again its just my opinion). I don't expect this to last as their junior teams have had some success against us and when those players graduate to full international level it will change. I wanted to play Uzbekistan again instead of Iraq whilst this psychological edge still holds.

And by the way, I have seen Iraq against other countries as well.

20. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    We appear to be in agreement then. You articulated it well. I'm referring more to people (and there's been a few around) that say Iraq "play out of their skins" against Australia which is implying a higher than normal performance.

I've seen a few people say that. What prompted me to post was this most recent one.
    As I see it. To sum up.

Against Australia; Iraq do not choke, don't seem to lose due to indimidation or other psychological factors.

Uzbekistan seem to choke in the past fixtures.

Which is why it's understandable that Australia would rather Uzbekistan than Iraq.

Like I said, I'm more referring to those who say Iraq play up a notch or some other similar implication when they play Australia.

21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes, we are in agreement.

22. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    this thread is lame

two months left and you're already "in agreement"

:D

23. amrizzle

amrizzle Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Footballistan
    I do see where you're coming from.

We don't see Australia as a threat. For instance we tend to be more wary of Japan when we play them. Hence I was wanting Iran out of pot 2...but there we go. Having said that, we have Zico who knows Japan well.

Will be a tight group nonetheless. I think we have more of a chance of a surprise or two in the world cup qualifiers than we have done for a long time in Asia.

24. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hahahaha, again the group Japan's in is the one with much less discussion. Ngl i'm a bit jealous. This also happened last WCQ round 4. The Korea/Iran/Saudi discussion was off the chain with insults and all.

I'm gonna be posting in the Group A discussion and arguing there haha, cause that's destined to be a heated discussion.

25. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Thaaank you sis :D & Good luck to Kuwait in the upcoming tournaments ;)