2014 FIFA Ballon d'Or

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Blondo, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Ballon d’Or nominations:

Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Lionel Messi, Thibaut Courtois, Eden Hazard, Diego Costa, Angel di Maria, Yaya Toure, Mario Gotze, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Andres Iniesta, Toni Kroos, Philipp Lahm, Javier Mascherano, Thomas Muller, Manuel Neuer, Neymar, Paul Pogba, Sergio Ramos, Arjen Robben, James Rodriguez, Bastian Schweinsteiger

Coach of the Year nomination:

Jose Mourinho, Louis van Gaal, Carlo Ancelotti, Antonio Conte, Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klinsmann, Joachim Low, Manuel Pellegrini, Alejandro Sabella, Diego Simeone

henryo repped this.
  2. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    2014 (27.10) in official games

Messi 43 (6pen) goals, 25 assists = directly part of 68 goals
    Cronaldo 49 (10pen) goals, 12 assists = directly part of 61 goals

Benzema 28 (1pen) goals, 19 assists = directly part of 47 goals
    Bale 21 (0pen) goals, 19 assists = directly part of 40 goals

Zlatan 27 (4pen) goals, 11 assists = directly part of 38 goals
    Müller 24 (6pen) goals, 14 assists = directly part of 38 goals
    Di Maria 10 (0pen) goals, 26 assists = directly part of 36 goals
    Neymar 28 (0pen) goals, 7 assists = directly part of 35 goals
    Götze 21 (0pen) goals, 12 assists = directly part of 33 goals
    Suarez 16 (0pen) goals, 16 assists = directly part of 32 goals (not shortlisted)
    Robben 17 (2pen) goals, 14 assists = directly part of 31 goals

Costa 24 (2pen) goals, 3 assists = directly part of 27 goals
    Hazard 12 (6pen) goals, 10 assists = directly part of 22 goals

Iniesta 3 (0pen) goals, 11 assists = directly part of 14 goals :giggle:

Defenders

Mascherano
    Lahm

Goalies

Neuer
    Courtois

I'm gonna add rest of the players later.

henryo, Jaweirdo and stcv1974 repped this.
  3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My vote atm based on performance would probably be

1. Messi
    2. Neuer
    3. Benzema

4. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Where do you find all these stats?

5. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo is winning it, end of story

3 X 3 X...

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    transfermarkt.co.uk

But they are in seasonal format, so I've to change it for calendar year.

stcv1974 repped this.
  7. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Impossible for me (and to many others) to have an objective opinion between Messi and Cristiano, as bias surely affect which criteria one emphasizes. Both have their solid arguments for the best player of the year. Outside of them, Germany's World Cup means a lot - but like noted by many before, their strong and somewhat even collective is good for winning team titles, but bad for winning individual awards. Nice "problem" for them, imo.

I'd be very surprised to see someone other than Messi or Cristiano win it, and I'd guess that the fact that Messi got zero team titles in a World Cup year when Cristiano's team won CL decides it for Cristiano.

8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Should be a close race but I'll take Simeone over Löw and Ancelotti for coach of the year.

Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I would as well. Did an incredible job with relatively unheralded players.

La-Máquina repped this.
  10. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Suarez isn't in top 23.Fifa sucks

La-Máquina repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ronaldo will win this. The perception is that Messi has dropped in form from his peak while Ronaldo is keeping his level at his peak. Even if their numbers for the CY are quite similar when you look at G+A.

The interesting part is that if Messi finishes his chance in the WC Final and Argentina hold on to that 1 x 0 lead, he'd definitely take this award. Since he missed it, voters will remember that in the knockout stage, he only had 1 assist. A goal in the Final would have excused that fact. At the same time, since RM won the CL, voters will probably forget or overlook that Ronaldo was not the decisive force in the SF or the Final.

Pipiolo, Jaweirdo and leadleader repped this.
  12. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Benzema 3rd? Over, Robben, Ronaldo, Muller ???????

Not sure how Iniesta made it in either, not his strongest year by a long way.

Suarez not being in top 23 is a joke, punished for bad behaviour, was as good as anyone in club football last year.

Pipiolo, JamesBH11 and stcv1974 repped this.
  13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Because he always does. The assumption always is that he plays well, regardless of his actual contribution. He just needs to be on the field to be considered among the best players.

leadleader, AD78, stcv1974 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    True.And no Suarez who scored 31 goals for Liverpool in last season,helped Liverpool very much.
    I think now CR7 has more chance than anyone but we must wait

15. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How do you change it?

16. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree. Suarez should be there definitely, maybe even in top 3, he was the best player in top 5 leagues last season, yes, he didn't play in champions league so that's a minus but in world cup against England he scored two goals coming of an injury, and now in el clasico he had an assist and i think that he will play well for Barca. He also won Golden Boot last season.

AD78 repped this.
  17. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would vote like this:
    1. C. Ronaldo
    2. Messi
    3. Suarez, but if it has to be someone from the list it would probably be Muller.

AD78 repped this.
  18. DazerII

DazerII Member

May 27, 2011
    To say it is a perception that Messi's level has dropped is either blind loyalty/favoritism as imo to any football fan who has followed Messi this is clear. Even without looking at the stats Messi's performance in big games over the last season did nothing to change the "perception" as you call it, that his level of play has dropped.

Most of the time the message was that he came back from injury, which later turned into he's saving himself for the WC, and lately is turning into but he assists. The what ifs can hardly be used to try to clarify what imo and opinion of many football fans has been lukewarm season for Messi as that can be used for probably any candidate for the sake of just arguing. The fact of the matter is Messi hardly set any game alight in many important games this season, and imo that's how I will define his season. This is unless if one considers BiH, Iran etc as big games.

Lastly to claim CR was not decisive in the semis just doesn't make sense, unless if he was supposed to score all four goals at Allianz. It is also known that he played through injury in the CL final and WC, even though I still feel even if fit Portugal chances disappeared from the moment Pepe got send off in that 1st game.

Anyway as I said in one thread imo there is no contest this year. I will probably stop following football for water polo if CR doesn't win this award in January. There is just too many positives in his season to lose this, not in 1000 years.

AD78 repped this.
  19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As I said in the other thread Benzema has been better than Cronaldo this year.

Statistically just as impressive (without penos), won the same titles, was better in both Clasico's, better in CL-final, played in Copa final, and didn't flop in World Cup.

His stats are also better than Muller's or Robben's, so I don't think they were better.

20. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    it is too bad that navas is sitting on the bench atm. but he was the best gk of last season and the wc.
    since this a wc year i'd say messi, robben and mascherano are top 3.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree that Messi's level has dropped from his peak where he basically looked super human with his dribbles.

Like I said about Ronaldo, he wasn't decisive in the score sheet in the SF nor the Final and that's a fact. I don't quite remember how was his overall performance in the SF was, but in the Final it was bad. But as you and I pointed out, he was injured. I gave him his props for the earlier rounds where he was great.

I didn't even mention WC because as you said, he was still injured but not only that it was a tough group and Pepe screwed Portugal from the start. You're being defensive about something I didn't even criticize. :rolleyes:

To say you will stop following football if CR doesn't win an individual award just outs you as a fanboy even if you're just kidding. Seriously, that's what's wrong with all of this including CR's attitude towards this award (being a crybaby and all). FFS team titles are so much more important than this award.

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Benzema has been great, but you're pushing it. He scored 5 goals in the CL.

AD78 repped this.
  23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Which season? He got a hat trick away in the Bernabeu in one of the most dramatic Clasicos of all time last season. He also got a hat trick against Valencia in a 3-2 win. He scored home and away against Manchester City.

If we are just looking at 2014 then he took his side to the final of the World Cup with precious little attacking help.

I could see it going either way really, Ronaldo was better last season but Messi was better in the WC.

afar repped this.
  24. George Green

George Green Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Difficult to see Ronaldo not winning it although I could see Neuer running him close. What always get's me is how seriously are we supposed to take how many major honours they've won? Obviously it's a good decider if there are two players who've performed equally spectacularly but other than that surely individual performances is what really matters?

25. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And Cronaldo scored 1 in World Cup. Here's Cronaldo's goals in Copa and CL.

Copa

3-0 goal against Osasuna
    4-0, 5-0 goals against Atletico
    Didn't play in final

UCL

3-0, 6-0, 7-1, 8-2 goals against Shalke
    3-0 goal against Dortmund
    4-0, 5-0 goals against Bayern
    4-1 dived penalty against Atletico

All statpad goals, I don't see anything wrong saying Benzema deserves Top3 more than Cronaldo.

Pipiolo repped this.