2014 Argentina's best chance to win

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by reckless_mf, Nov 15, 2012.

1. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    2014 has surely got to be Argentina's best chance to win the World Cup since the Maradona days.

The attack is probably the best it's ever been with Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Lavezzi. The goalkeeper and defence look decent, Mascherano has a lot of experience and is a good holding player. The midfield also has some good creative talent with Di Maria.

Plus they have a manager with his head screwed on.

The fact that the tournament is being held in Brazil will also help.

Their biggest threats will be Spain, Brazil, Italy and they usually struggle against England.

What do you think?

SwedishBorn repped this.
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I agree. People overlook the fact that those 4 players you just mentioned (plus Di Maria) were still quite young in 2010, even though they already were "household" names. In 2014 they will all be in their prime and that should hopefully offset an average defense.

I think they match-up well against Spain. Not so well against Germany (obviously) and Italy. So they need a little luck with the draw too (ideally they would play some important games in south of Brasil to produce a semi home-field advantage).

3. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If only Argentina had a Veron or Riquelme then they would be even stronger.
    I can't believe Maradona dropped Veron against Germany in 2010, he was the kind of player they needed.

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed, the offense is formidable: Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Lavezzi, Tevez, Martinez. The offensive mids/wingers are also top notch: DiMaria, Lamela, Pastore, Salvio, Gaitan. I like the centermid pairing of Gago and Banega, and Yacob is an interesting option. Mascherano can play in center defense, along with an in-form Coloccini or Fernandez who has matured a lot. Not much depth at CM or CB, but at least the starters are all proven. Romero is a strong goalie, he could be the best at the WC, and Andujar is a solid backup. The question is the fullbacks, where Zabaleta and Rojo are not convincing, and no other players have been given a chance other than the old Campagnaro. This is how I would align it:

Romero
    Zabaleta-Mascherano-Coloccini-Monzon
    Gago-Banega-DiMaria
    Messi
    Aguero-Higuain

5. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Already I see Peruzzi as a candidate for full back.Monzon isnt international class but neither is Rojo at least until now.I would right now have Garay at 2 with Pezzela a contender if he avoids further injury.Like wise in goal I think Orion is better than Romero who is inconsistent but hes young.I have serious doubts about Di Maria in big games, I know he gives us much needed speed but his character is a problem.Gago and Banega are high class but head cases can Sabella manage them for a month?
    Remember the Brasucas will do everything to f..k us up so it will be very dificult.

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree about Monzon and Rojo, another option is Ansaldi, though Rojo has been improving. I think Fernandez is better than Garay, and Romero much better than Orion. Don't worry too much about DiMaria, he will come through at the WC.

I think Brazil would want someone else to eliminate Argentina, as they know chances are they will lose if they play us.

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Verón wasn't playing well enough by then, I'd rather blame Diego for some stubborn decisions on the formation rather.

I think we have a good shot at 2014, as usual, but let's see what's with the other teams next year the Confeds and the remaining of the qualifiers.

8. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Saying Romero is slightly better than Orion might sneak through, but that statement is just outrageous. Given a choice, I would pick Orion, though it's not such a clear thing to me as to make a fuss about Romero being picked over him. I just don't see how Romero, whom I like more than most, can be seen to be MUCH BETTER than Orion.

9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Alright, fair enough. I still think Romero is a bigger talent.

10. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [quote

The fact that the tournament is being held in Brazil will also help .

What do you think?[/quote]

Have a look at the treatment handed out to Arsenal in Belo Horizonte and add to Tigre in Sao Paolo and understand the brasucas will do anything to stop Argentina winning on Brazilian soil.

11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its nothing new... Remember Corinthians-River in 2006? And even worse, Sao Paulo-River in the semifinals 2005.

Los Borrachos del tablon beat the shit out of the sao paulo police, meanwhile 30,000 thousand corinthians fans got overpowered by 10 police. LOL

SupaMario repped this.
  12. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    I think we can pull it off. Why not? We have the weapons. Right?

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. 764dak

764dak Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Pele's worst nightmare would be Messi scoring the winning goal in the final.

cigar_city repped this.
  14. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    We all dream of him putting that thing over his head in THAT stadium.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Head to head from 1980-present

1981 - 2-1 (Win)
    1982 - 1-1
    1986 - 3-2 (Win)
    1987 - 1-0 (Win)
    1988 - 1-0 (Lost)
    1990 - 1-0 (Lost by late gift penalty)
    2005 - 2-2
    2006 - 1-1 (Lost on penalty)
    2010 - 1-0 (Win)
    2010 - 4-0 (Lost)
    2012 - 3-1 (Win)

Overall head to head :

Argentina - 9 Win
    Germany - 7 Win (counting penalty shootout win)
    Draw - 5

16. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    El Pipita will lead Argentina to Glory, it's a paradox, Higuain will make your dreams come true, he is Napulitan!

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

He's French.

18. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Not anymore!

JCNapoli17 and jimmi_moh repped this.
  19. josh.haslam75

josh.haslam75 Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yes,best chance

20. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I think it depends a lot on how Messi plays.
    He has been subpar lately, throwing up on the field, seemed unmotivated, and he hasn't been that great for the Argentine national team over the years... He did score some 60 goals for the national team but has also had very pale showings. If Messi is as good as in his club performances, Argentina will be a threat. If he walks on the pitch and doesn't do much, then I don't know.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    and most players on France team is African.

22. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry but friendlies are a joke to consider.. In the end it's almost 50/50 if two football powers meet each other in the finals.

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Untrue......

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So when 8 Africans started in WC 2010, that's still untrue?

LGRod repped this.
  25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking of the 2014 team however it still does not fly for the 2010 either.
    So 8 black players = 8 Africans?.
    Just FYI, 6 of them were born in France (some from parents of french Caribbean origin: Anelka, Abidal, Gallas)
    Only Evra was born in Senegal and Malouda was born in French Guyana (you know...in South America).