2014-2015 UEFA Champions League Qualifying Round 3 [R]

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by EvanJ, Jul 28, 2014.

1. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    No.
    Celtic could have said no we don't accept the 3-0 (UEFA gives that option) and nothing bad could have happened to Celtic and Legia would have advanced. Also no bad precedent set

Everything after that yes wouldn't have helped Legia. The minute Celtic were reinstated into the draw Celtic had their hands tied and that is the thing you guys are focusing on.

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So you're telling me that if Celtic refused to accept UEFA's ruling of a 3-0 scoreline due to Legia breaking the rules then UEFA would have been totally fine with that...?

Really...?

3. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Yes.
    And once again with the phrasing to make it look worse that it is. You make it seem like UEFA shoved this ruling down their troat and Celtic were noo help us Batman
    You can go ironic all you want it doesn't make it less true

4. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Eh..?

So you say Celtic had the option apparently of not accepting UEFA's decision and UEFA would have been absolutely fine with that.

Can you please provide me with an example of this happening previously as you seem so certain.

I cannot believe UEFA would be fine with a member club not accepting a decision they made in this way. However, if you can show me proof that it has happened before then I'm more than willing to have a look.

5. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    You always phrase things in a way that would make Frank Luntz proud
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Luntz

Yes because that is what also happens in real life. You can drop charges if you are the victim for minor things. It doesn't mean that from that point people accused of the same thing will be declared not guilty because one time a victim dropped the charges

Did I say it happedn previously? No I say Celtic had that option. Mnay temas had that option in the past but no one took it.

It hasn't before as far as I am aware. it doesn't mean the rule doesn't exist. When I have the time I will find you the rule. I won't find clubs refusing a UEFA decision in their favour

Speaking of, maybe the third time Celtic loses but advances in the courts UEFA could give them a special patch or something

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Right. So basically you're saying Celtic should have done something that apparently there is no precedent for as it has never been done before but you know not that you think or maybe, uh-uh apparently you are certain Celtic could have refused UEFA's offer and they would have been fine about it.

Although this has never happened before but I'll happily wait to see the rule that says you can refuse UEFA's decision and tell them you want it left the way it was.

7. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What teams? Can I have some examples please and where it says they had this supposed option but never took it.

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    :confused:

You do know we're talking about a UEFA rule book here and not for raising your voice too loud in a library or some other innocuous matter :thumbsup:

9. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    No I didn't say that. I said Celtic could have done something. Because I all hear poor Celtic even if they wanted to they couldn't have done the right thing but those meanies at UEFA made them advance

Of course there is no precedent. No team would take the deal. Why would they? I don't expect anyone to take the deal. But I don't want to hear that they would have done the right things if the could.

Any team that advanced despite losing due to the other team making a mistake. There is difference between making a choice or having that choice. I am telling you there is that choice and you want to me to show you teams that made that choice. You can't spot the difference?

10. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Mate. We're going around in circles. I said I'd be happy to look at any proof you may have that Celtic could have said 'no to UEFA we'll do it our own way with Legia' and UEFA would have been fine with that.

You said you would find it for me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here. You're the one making the statements that Celtic could have done something so prove it please.

11. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this has been answered before...

But why do they split this round into 2 groups? If I'm a big gun, like Arsenal, I'm pissed if I see a smaller side go through and I had to be grouped with other big guns.

Is that the reason? To get some of the smaller champions to the group stage?

12. soccerfanfromcanada

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    ^I find it odd that big teams like Arsenal and Napoli have trouble at this stage. Let the better team go through and not the more "popular" one.

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Pretty much.

One group is the Champions route - this is for teams that won their league in their country so they qualify for the Champions league.

The other group is for qualifiers and not for actual league champions.

Hence why, for instance, Maribor would not worry about being drawn against the likes of an Arsenal or Napoli in the final qualifier.

At the end of the day maybe the smaller teams that are champions of their country have more right to be pissed at say, an Arsenal getting through to the group stages ahead of them for the Champions League.

MondoGoal repped this.
  14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    @waitforit been a couple of days. Any news on this yet...?

Aptly titled username. :thumbsup:

15. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    #40 waitforit, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    I was sure I told you it will take a while to go through the rules as I don't really feel like it because there are many pages of that

http://www.uefa.org/documentlibrary/regulations/

Lot to comb through.. i feel like it would be pointless after I find it

And I guess Legia officials being told by UEFA officials there's nothing they could do if Celtic files a protest doesn't count. As in UEFA told Celtic and if Celtic didn't protest nothing would happen to Legia. They must be liars right?

I know the rule from Steaua's president (from another case) who is actualy very good at his job

You are felling happy I know Celtic got the easiest team (either them or Aalborg), Steaua and Celtic should have switched teams
    Ludorgorets is in Legia's class

Speaking of ... class and Celtic .... ha

Well the name is Champions League

16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So that'll be a no then.

Ok. Thanks for wasting my time. :thumbsup:

17. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    It wasn't a no
    It was a I will show you later like I told you. If you can't read not my fault
    Class response anyway....

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to the Ludogorets vs Steaua Bucuresti match tonight. Pumped to go to my first ucl match in person. Been impresses with Ludogorets' form of late. Should be a good match.

19. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lucky bastard! Someone may have gone to 100 UCL matches in their lifetime and not see the drama that you did. Given the clubs involved (~$20 mil+ for relatively small budget clubs, and Ludogorets going to the GS for the first time) that was one of the best UCL qualifying matches ever. Obviously Moti gets the headlines from this match and becomes (FWIW) a Bulgarian club football legend. But you can't overlook Wanderson's one touch volley in the 90th minute. It was an absolute rocket, and would stand up as one of the best goals of the entire tournament this season had it been scored at any time, much less to force extra time late. I switched over to that match after 85' or so when Malmo scored to give themselves a 2 goal cushion and I'm lucky I did.

20. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    weakest champions league in a long time.. no milan (both milans), no machester united, lyon.... football has been in decline.. the gap between the teams is astronomical

21. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    and so many teams playing against each other every season... arsenal vs dortmund (have been playing each other for the last 4 seasons now) ... barcelona always getting the same team

22. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    A bit late on the Legia/Celtic thing, but the Legia fans protested with this display at their last match:

[​IMG]

Impressive, but it doesn't come close to the banner on show a few years previously:

[​IMG]

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was awesome. Never seen a city collectively celebrate as Sofia did afterwards. A match I'll never forget. Best in person football experience I've had to date, bar none. Not just a great moment for ludogorets but for Bulgaria as well.