2014-2015 FC Kansas City Offseason

Discussion in 'KC Current' started by FCKCEvans, Sep 6, 2014.

1. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    CometsFan you are a tease! I like the sound of your info tho I'm conflicted bc I really like our current roster so I'm not sure what I'd give up for a 1st rounder. Gorry? Bogus alone won't do it and she doesn't go without LePeilbet who's basically a must keep bc of our defensive lack of numbers.

You just had to get me all worked up on a Friday afternoon!

CometsFan repped this.
  2. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    To be clear, the staff really likes this roster too. The difficulty comes in the fact this is a strong draft class early and they also have to plan for World Cup this year and Olympics next year.

If I were a betting man (which I'm not) I would guess at least 2 players on the current roster do not make it to camp. Now the list of potential draft picks is out so I plan on spending the weekend studying. Other than the strong feeling that they would like to move into the 1st rd, I have no inside knowledge of their draft strategy.

Looking at the list, a few names that stick out to me are Dydasco, Huerta and Ubogagu. All are players I could see in blue. Thoughts?

3. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hmm, "at least 2 don't make it to camp".....hope Richmond makes it back! Guess time will tell. When you say plan for WWC and Olympics the obvious player to be on the move IMO is Gorry. She won't be around for the major tournaments and is taking up an international slot. I don't see her getting much time in our midfield upon return either....

As for the draft, I like your draftee list and would be happy with any of those players in KC. I tried to watch a lot of college woso this year so here's my assessment. I'm not necessarily going to list the BEST players but the players who would work best in KCs system and who would (possibly) be available in the 2nd round which is (at least currently) KCs draft order.

Defenders: (Outside backs)
    1. Caprice Dydasco- Her work-rate is amazing. She is a fantastic smart defender. What she lacks in size she makes up for in positioning and hustle. She is comfortable on the ball and skillful going forward. Most importantly she can help in possession and creativity which were the only things lacking in Kallmans game.
    2. Jaelene Hinkle- Huw Williams helps with commentating for KU soccer, and he spoke very highly of her on both broadcasts I watched. Perhaps a bit more physically impressive and faster than Dydasco. Good going forward, may not be quite as comfortable with the short passing game but capable for sure.
    3. Arin Gililand- Talk about a physical specimen....speedy, strong, powerful with a good work rate. I think she's a first rounder personally bc she fits in better in a WNY or Chicago situation IMO. She does have skill on the ball going forward tho just maybe not the short passing background. Lots of potential.

***if KC could land any of these 3 I would be ecstatic. All will make an impact for whatever team they end up with. By the 3rd round a central defender might be nice to pick up as well...Megan Oyster, Whitney Church, or Taylor Leach would be tough to pass up if available.

Attackers:
    1. Sofia Huerta- watching her last season, I thought she was better than Marlborough by a big margin. Super fast with great work rate and tenacity. She has some ability to play a hold-up game at forward or out wide. Can score a variety of ways too. I don't really think she will drop to the 2nd round tho.
    2. Shea Groom- Hometown girl who played on Huw Williams ECNL championship squad. She has speed and creativity. Played forward for Huw but blossomed at attacking mid in college so she bring versatility as well. Not as unique as Tymrak but does remind me of her a bit.
    3. Chi Ubagago- Has the U-20 international experience that few if any in this draft do. Speed and skill are her game. Not necessarily as much of a goal scorer as the previous 2 but has tons of potential in the right situation for sure. Great flank player.

****if KC can get one of these 3 it would be fantastic. All have huge upsides with potential to be impact players in the league. Other attackers of interest: Lo Labonita, Lynn Williams.

Extra tidbits:
    - I predict with their late 3rd round / 4th round we go local. Kaysie Clark an attacker that's been called in to a few NT camps and Caroline Stanley a GK both played for Huw (along with Groom) on his championship team.
    - Fav player in the draft = Danielle Colaprico. Should be a 1st rounder, but basically a do-it-all midfielder. Scores goals and sets them up, great corners, good speed, and experience at dmid. She's small, but she's a stud.

CometsFan repped this.
  4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think I was probably the first person to say Dydasco would be a perfect fit with KC, but now I'm wondering if with them claiming Souza and listing her as a defender if they don't intend to play her at left back. Plus Deines can play left back as well, if I recall correctly. So all that combined would make drafting a left back kinda redundant, when they will arguably have a greater need for a CB. When Brunn is gone, they'll have just LePeilbet and Deines, which is not the most imposing CB pairing, tbh. Dahlkemper will definitely be gone by their 2nd round pick (unless they're trading to get a first round pick to get her and if they did get her then they definitely have to get Dydasco too), but if Grubka is still available (she probably won't be, but just saying if she is), they'd be crazy to not to pick her. If Grubka is gone, I guess they can wait until later in the draft for a CB and go for Ubogagu, even though I don't think that's a big need for them.

Another place they might look at is getting a GK, if they think Barnhart will be gone for the WWC and/or Olympics, as I'm not sure they'd be wanting to have Sarah Keane be their starter for that many games. Either Katelyn Rowland or Sabrina D'Angelo would be a pretty good backup for Barhnhart and solid choice at the 16th or 17th pick.

(Obviously, I expect Huerta to be gone before KC's first pick. Sure, they could trade up for her, but I think that would be a mistake when there's a bigger need at defense)

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Kate Deines played LB for Seattle, but I don't remember her otherwise playing LB. Every time a saw her play, which was a fair number of times, she played either CB or holding mid. She was good at those positions, I think holding mid was her best position.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Will Mandy Laddish get playing time this season?

7. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes, that is correct. My point was just to show left back (Dydasco's position) is not as great a position of need as CB. As Souza, Robinson, LePeilbet and Deines can play there in a pinch. But at CB, they only have Sauerbrunn, LePeilbet, and Deines for 2 positions. If one gets hurt while Sauerbrunn is away, who is gonna play there? I guess at this point Averbuch would be the best option? Anyway, point is, they need another CB, just for depth when Brunn's away.

8. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think she will get some, especially if Richmond doesn't return. KC really values that dmid spot. However, if Richmond does return it's hard to see her get a ton of playing time with Buz, Richmond, and Yael in front of her....unless injuries happen.

9. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    This is a good point. I had no idea Dienes could play left back. Did she play that in Seattle? In preseason last year both Buz and Richmond played center back in a pinch but I'd agree, unless we make another signing this week a good center back is something to consider as well as a back up at right back besides LePeilbet. I've seen Gilliland play on the right, but again I think we need to trade up for her. Can Dydasco play on the right?

I was kind of thinking of Souza as a Mathias type utility player on the left side. She's listed as a defender but I don't think that deters them from drafting one of the Gililand, Hinkle, Dydasco types if needed. Just my interpretation any way.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Well last season Deines didn't play left back for Seattle. I'm not sure about in 2013 but our defense suck than so it won't be the best barometer about her performance there.

11. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes.

12. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I've never seen her play it, but she seems good enough with both feet that I expect she can.

Yeah, it was in 2013. Last season they had Cox and Barnes so there was no need to play her out of position. Now I'm not saying Deines is going to be the starting left back (though I don't think anyone expected Kallman to either), I expect she'll be primarily a CB. Just that she can play there if they need it.

13. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Because I'm immature...I'm going to start a baseless rumor. My KC knowledge usually comes from writers Thad Bell or Jeff Husted who follow all KC pro soccer. I could help but notice awhile back, Sporting KCs owner Robb Heineman was doing a Q&A with fans on twitter where he answered a ton of questions.

I would think make much of it but afterwards Husted tweeted that Heineman answered most questions but declined to comment on anything about the FC Kansas City partnership. Just a thought with the whole TBA home opener announcement. However, SKC is only home on 3/8 and 3/21 so my story doesn't hold a lot of weight.

14. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Sorry, but your credibility for starting this rumor goes right out the window if you say that you get your soccer knowledge from people like me. Ha!

FCKCEvans repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, even if it's not a double-header, there's still the opportunity to use the stadium! Kinda like how the Philadelphia Independence used PPL Park a few times, none of which were double-headers.

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Huh? The season opener is April 10th (4/10). Sporting KC is home on April 11th. The problem is the game is scheduled to be 7:30 PM local time. So the FCKC game couldn't very well be afterwards.

17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Swopes park looks awesome. Reminds me of the soccerplex. Let's hope this is the last stop though

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it will be, unless interest gets high enough to warrant a permanent move to Sporting Park. But realistically, that's years away.

20. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Myrtle = formerly FCKCEvans, my account had been hacked and I was getting a ton of super annoying spam mail. Hence the "Myrtle" account change.

I am super excited about this move. This complex is beautiful, probably one of the best in the league and the amenities for players are top notch. This move is a step up by a long shot, but i'm a bit concerned about attendance....UMKC was a much more desirable location IMO and we couldn't get people on the KS side to drive there, well this location is farther into Missouri and without the draw of shopping and restaurants near down-town. Hopefully, the partnership with SKC, the fantastic facilities, and the beer sales will override these concerns.

I'm so happy to now be associated with SKC. It may be at a smaller scale than Portland and Houston but i'm happy with the progress even if it is baby-steps.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Myrtle though?

22. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Haha, it's a lovely name....I thought i'd introduce everyone to my alien looking dog named Myrtle....

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds like a truly great move to me, especially the link-up with Sporting KC. It's very encouraging from an overall league perspective and gives a model for NWSL-MLS cooperation that is different than the Portland/Houston model.

And, I think it's very smart of Sporting KC.

24. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Couldn't have at least been FCKCMyrtle? Ha!

On to other matters of the day...I can't say enough how good this is for FCKC and the league. The MLS/NWSL fusion works very well in Portland and Houston. Now the FCKC/SKC fusion is much different, but still provide some great support to the women's game.

As part of the agreement, Sporting will be very involved and invested in game attendance. As much as I tried and they continue to try, the FCKC budget and brand-awareness is minuscule to what Sporting has. Their involvement will lend credibility to 19k+ fans who fill Sporting Park on a weekly basis for SKC. Those fans now have a reason to come out to see the Blues because they are now part of the "SKC Family".

From a player side, the facilities the team moves to for training are leaps and bounds from what they have used in the past. They will essentially be training alongside SKC on a daily basis. They will be able to have permanent locker storage for their things and not have to worry about carting their equipment back and forth to whatever field is available that day. Plus, training and games will be played on GRASS. Not just grass, but the kind of grass that rivals some of the great MLS stadiums in this country. I'd even go so far as to say the Swope grass might be better than the Sporting Park grass.

From a ticket standpoint, SKC wants Swope Village to be successful to attract tournaments, youth schedules and college and lower division tournaments. Having FCKC there will be a showcase for their facility. They will be able to promote each match beyond the reach of what FCKC could do on their own and help with introductions to potential sponsors through their own contacts.

There are still details to be worked out, but I would imagine the opener would be a stand-alone game (not part of an SKC doubleheader) at Sporting Park. All potential playoff games would be there too as stand-alone games. With SKC's ticket team supplementing FCKC's ticket sellers, these games could easily hit 6k+ in the first couple of years.

There are some headaches to be worked out (seating will once again have to increased prior to the season starting), but on the whole, this is the best news of the offseason for this team.

cpthomas, holden and Blaze20 repped this.
  25. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    What? Getting HAO wasn't the best news... :whistling: