2014-2015 Champions League Qualifying Rounds 1 and 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by EvanJ, Jun 22, 2014.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PaulieJay repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a match that was thousands of miles from Brazil, both in the literal and figurative sense, the Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar played HB Torshvan of the Faroe Islands to a 1-1 draw in Victoria Stadium. It's the first competitive UEFA fixture in the history of Gibraltar, and they had to wait just 18 minutes to score their first goal in such a competition, courtesy of a penalty from Joseph Luis Chipolina. They'll face a tough assignment moving forward having conceded the away goal and headed to the always frigid Faroe Islands for the return leg, but I've no doubt it was a great occasion in the shadow of "The Rock". The national team will play their first competitive full international (not counting friendlies) in September for Euro qualifying, but will not play their first true home match until the completion of their new stadium, which they are scheduled to complete in time for their inaugural WCQ 2018 campaign.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday's first leg scores were:

FC Santa Coloma (Andorra) 1:0 Banants Yerevan (Armenia)
    La Fiorita (San Marino) 0:1 Levadia Tallinn (Estonia) with the only goal in the 90+4th minute

San Marino has had 0 coefficient points in three of the past four seasons and almost got a draw. Lincold Red Imps got the first coefficient points for Gibraltar.

Tomorrow there are 37 games in the Europa League Qualifying Round 1.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Santa Coloma got a 90+4th minute goal from their goalkeeper to lose 3:2 and advance on away goals after a 3:3 aggregate. HB Torshavn won 5:2 hosting Lincoln Red Imps after the first leg was 1:1. Levadia Tallinn beat La Fiorita 7:0 in the second leg to win the aggregate 8:0.

6. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Levadia Tallinn has gone 14 consecutive matches in domestic and European competition with clean sheets.

EvanJ repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have scored 52 goals and allowed 4 in 18 games but aren't in first place. I doubt they will keep a clean sheet at Sparta Prague.

PaulieJay repped this.
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of club coefficients, the two most even Qualifying Round 2 pairings are:

FK Aktobe (Kazakhstan) 8.150 vs. Dinamo Tbilisi (Georgia) 6.975
    FK Ventspils (Latvia) 7.750 vs. Malmo FF (Sweden) 6.265

I'm surprised that Steaua Bucuresti (Romania) with a 39.451 coefficient is slight underdogs to Stromsgodset (Norway) with a 4.855 coefficient. Even in Norway I thought Steaua Bucuresti would be favored. I'm also surprised that Malmo FF is very big favorites over FK Venspils for the game in Sweden. I would think it would be very rare for a seeded club to be an underdog by that much.

9. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How professional are these guys?

PaulieJay repped this.
  10. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe San Marino is the only remaining league in Europe that is 100% amateur only. Every other league in Europe, I believe has at least some degree of professionalism. Some leagues are semi-pro with all the league players making a part-time salary and maintaining a part-time schedule. Others like Estonia have a mix of professional and amateur, with either part-time or marginally full-time professional players competing in the top league alongside a handful of amateur yo-yo clubs.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  11. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6-0, 74'

[​IMG]

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That final score was 7:0. The other 23 clubs that played averaged fewer than half a goal. There was a 3:0 win, two 2:0 wins, four 1:0 wins, and four scoreless draws without any games in which both clubs scored. BATE Borisov of Belarus only got a scoreless draw hosting Skenderbeu Korce of Albania. BATE Borisov has a 33.725 coefficient and Skenderbeu Korce has a 4.600.

13. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You guys watch any of these?

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet, but I might watch later rounds. http://www.rojadirecta.me lists all five of today's games.

15. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Round 3

Champions route:

Valletta FC (MLT)/Qarabağ FK (AZE) vs. FC Salzburg (AUT)
    Cliftonville FC (NIR)/Debreceni VSC (HUN) vs. FC BATE Borisov (BLR)/KS Skënderbeu (ALB)
    ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK)/The New Saints FC (WAL) vs. FC Sheriff (MDA) v FK Sutjeska (MNE)
    Aalborg BK (DEN) vs. GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)/VMFD Žalgiris (LTU)
    Legia Warszawa (POL)/Saint Patrick's Athletic (IRL) vs. KR Reykjavík (ISL)/Celtic FC (SCO)

FC Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO)/FK Aktobe (KAZ) vs. Strømsgodset IF (NOR)/FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU)
    HŠK Zrinjski (BIH)/NK Maribor (SVN) vs. FC Santa Coloma (AND)/ Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR)
    FK Rabotnicki (MKD)/HJK Helsinki (FIN) vs. APOEL FC (CYP)
    AC Sparta Praha (CZE)/FC Levadia Tallinn (EST) vs. Malmö FF (SWE)/FK Ventspils (LVA)
    PFC Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL)/F91 Dudelange (LUX) vs. FK Partizan (SRB)/HB Tórshavn (FRO)

League route
    AEL Limassol FC (CYP) vs. FC Zenit (RUS)
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) vs. FC København (DEN)
    Feyenoord (NED) vs. Beşiktaş JK (TUR)
    Grasshopper Club (SUI) vs. LOSC Lille (FRA)
    R. Standard de Liège (BEL) vs. Panathinaikos FC (GRE)

16. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly Celtic vs. Saint Patrick's Athletic. Interesting!