2014/16 Yoichiro Kakitani @ FC Basel 1893 (SUI)

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by naopon, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    bench for Kakitani against Lech Poznan in EL.

2. soccerfanfromcanada

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Lol is this guy injured or what? Why hasn't he been playing 0_0 because wasn't he doing pretty good in his limited appearances? Scored a goal in the first game and then got dropped for it? Can't exactly wrap my head around the fact this guy couldn't succeed in Europe while much less talented players did...

3. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is out in the cold I'm afraid.
    Time to try a new adventure?

4. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Which much less talented players you are referring to? I like Kakitani too but Basel is too stacked at the moment, especially at his position.

5. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Even Slovenian striker was bought by Basel

Top striker of the Slovenian League btw

6. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Both parties have pretty much agreed to part ways since a couple of months, or at least that's what Bader seemed to suggest

seolseol repped this.
  7. marten48

marten48 Member

Jun 2, 2012
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Also, whether or not a player succeeds in Europe has to do with more than just talent. A strong mentality and ability to adapt are key. To me it's not too much of a surprise that Kakitani has failed in Europe so far while players like Muto and Okazaki have succeeded.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    http://www.aargauerzeitung.ch/dossi...iro-kakitani-beim-fcb-verglueht-ist-129823050

This article provides several details on Kakitani's situation at Basel. Language barrier and isolation have been issues. The over-reliance of having an interpreter has resulted him still barely speaking German and with very little English. Sousa left him out of the squad for weeks last season due to not understanding his coaching ideas.

He also appears to be more of an introvert overall. Quote by Yuya Kubo, from Young Boys: "I have tried to contact him several times. But he does not answer. Why, I do not know".

"If he is not sleeping, then he is watching Japanese series, cooking elaborate menus and phoning his friends back home. "I'd just rather be alone. That has always been so," he says succinctly.

Georg Heitz: "In the winter, we sit together and discuss his future. It is not in our or Kakitani's sense that this continues until the end of his contract."

Cerezo's president, Minorou Tamada has already expressed their intention to take back the "prodigal son".

GunnerTNB, seolseol, Saku² and 4 others repped this.
  9. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    That part made me laugh.

Anyways it was expected.

10. Drew1404

Drew1404 Member

Aug 25, 2014
    man, what a shame. This kid has so much talent.

11. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What an indictment of his character. Didn't he learn his lessons from his earlier career setbacks?

In hindsight Kakitani would have been better served at a club with a veteran Japanese teammate.

12. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Any idea what he cooked for Christmas ?

13. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    His attitude is the problem imo. He will not last long at Europe if he continues like this. Guys like Hasebe worked very hard to perfect his German.

14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Obviously, in the position he's in, it seems impossible to stay in Europe at all - and I doubt it's what he wants too.

15. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    At least he got a decent salary in Basel, but it is still a pity for him to end up like this though given the expectations everyone here had for him after his spectacular 2013 season. I guess he can kiss his World Cup dream goodbye.

16. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [​IMG]

as expected, he's going to be back to Cerezo

datschge and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  17. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Now he has some chances to join the JNT in the future. Maybe as an extra in Rio?