2014-15 OFC Champions League

Discussion in 'Oceania' started by dinamo_zagreb, Oct 8, 2014.

1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I know that one is a confederation. But only because Fifa is too stubborn to recognize that they made a mistake in creating it, and refusing to merge it into Asia. It's only more absurd since Australia bolted on their own.

But you also haven't replied to my main point that these flyspecks should have to go through a "real" continent's tournament.

I also think that all clubs deserve a chance for a Champions League, but AFC decided this, and Fifa doesn't seem to mind, so for now, that's what it is. (I had thought that the AFC Cup finalists [since Asia is divided East-West] made the next year's ACL, but I don't see that in their regulations.) BTW, Asia used to have three levels (the lowest countries competing in the President's Cup), but it looks like those countries will be part of AFC Cup preliminary qualifying.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I think OFC will continue to have competitions with access to tournaments such as the Club World Cup and the Confederations Cup. The OFC team did much better in the last Club World Cup than in the last Confederations Cup.

3. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I would agree on the point that OFC best team(s) should take part in some of AFC's club competitions (ideally, OFC champions should take part in ACL preliminaries and later in ACL group stage or AFC Cup if they fail to qualify to former), but it's a nonsense to compare OFC, FIFA's member confederation to CFU, CONCACAF's subconfederation. Same could be applied to COSAFA or WAFF subconfederations then. OFC is an different level than any of those.

We might see changes regarding OFC's situation if Blatter loses presidental election, he's keeping them in to get votes.

4. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Can't compare Oceania with Carraibe. How Evan said, I think that all countries must have a chance in Champions League (as in UEFA, and not as in AFC).

Yah, Auckland won again, and outside NZ teams they have no rival.

I suggested to OFC to invite Wellington Poenix in OCL and grow up the competition at 4 groups of 4 teams (eliminate preliminary group, qualified all teams). How CONMEBOL can invite mexicans in Copa Libertadores, so OFC can invite Wellingthoin Phoenix (which is a New Zeeland club) in their competition.

I wait for champions of Niue, Kiribati and Tuvalu to join OCL in future :D