Pre-match: (2014.06.19) 2014 FIFA World Cup - Group C, MD2 : Japan vs Greece

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Whispered11, Jun 15, 2014.

1. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    After losing 3 - 0 it's difficult to think to be better than anyone else.

2. frideswide

frideswide Member+

Kumamoto Renaissance FC
    Feb 27, 2014
    København
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    these two are at it again...:D

[​IMG]

3. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Spain to get last confirmed!

zdrstvte repped this.
  4. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Japan lost 4-0 a few months ago, so that means they are the worst team in the universe.

5. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ... is that few months ago brasil in 2012? lol

6. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Hopefully they remember it's the World Cup this time

OneiroPhobia, Blue-San and Dax repped this.
  7. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Oh yeah, time flies :p... But you know what I'm getting at.

tako repped this.
  8. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Still interesting to see their optimism / disregard for non-EU/SA sides.
    We're coming off a 2-1 loss where it feels like the sky is falling.
    They're coming off a 3-0 loss and talking about how they can still make it. Even if they get results, Goal Difference is working against them quite a bit at this point. I'm not sure if it's just optimism or European arrogance.

9. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    well look at USA am about to watch the game against Ghana and Donovan was just explaining how they believe they can beat all the teams at WC and win it haha

10. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You expect that from players though. I'd be more worried if a player didnt have that confidence. Even if landycakes isnt on the team - he's not far removed and still active.
    I mean, we could crucify honda for some of his quotes. But the day he stops having that mindset, his career is over

11. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    You (and Dax) misunderstood...
    I quote the full and very very hard to understand (it seems) conversation:
    Fixed, ok teachers?

12. OishiiUdon

OishiiUdon Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Rather than the match itself, I can't wait to see what's the player's attitude in the game. This could be the perfect chance to restore our faith on this team, especially after such a defeat.
    However, if they just jump into the pitch because it's their job and not because they want to win, I will seriously consider whether it is even worth it to spend my time and energy staying up to watch them anymore.

13. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Someone has to say it, I mean the coach came out and said they don't have a chance in the world(which is true I might add.) If the players said it too, might as well forfeit the spot and give it to someone else.

14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    no teioh, I understood perfectly. I made you notice that by using your logic, then Spain shouldn't think to be better than the other teams in the group. Just because they lost one match 5-1?

zdrstvte repped this.
  15. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I am ok with players going with we will try to win this game but it may be hard and lets see where it takes us one game at the time attitude

Winning the entire thing with a team like theirs speaks of ignorance and arrogance

16. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Actually my wife said they interviewed a Greek player and he said the Japan-Ivory Coast match went as he expected. So that made me think he has a low opinion of Japan because we were so bad in that match. He probably didn't watch the whole thing at that point though and maybe was just speaking based on the result.
    Its so annoying when Japanese media interviews other countries' players or normal citizens walking down the street about Japan NT. Especially when they have lost, lol. What the hell do you expect them to say? But regardless to soccer, hearing foreigner's opinion on Japan is a common theme on TV.

17. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Nope, obviously. But I was said that I don't think someone in Greece NT think to be superior to Japan NT, especially after that type of defeat. If they do, better for us, they will wake with a resounding blow.

18. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I feel like rather the opposite might be the case.

19. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    A Greece fan here. I wouldn't call us arrogant. Most Greek fans, and I'm sure our players too, rate Kagawa and Honda very highly and for good reason. Also, many of the Japanese players play in good leagues across Europe, some for very respected clubs, and the coach Zaccheroni is one of the most tactically savvy coaches at the World Cup.

Btw, this may sound like something coming from out of nowhere, but I was an admirer of Kobayashi while he was at Iraklis. Who? This guy:

He was a fun player to watch.

Greece and Japan are arguably the weakest sides in the group. Whoever loses this game decides that argument.

Most Greeks don't feel we can win this game, but I strongly think we can win; however, I'm less sure of our team's ability to bounce back after the devastating loss to Colombia. In fairness, we should have pulled a goal back when Gekas crashed the ball onto the crossbar on a chance that was much tougher to miss than to score. That goal could have at least given us some momentum going into the game.

Regardless of how I think, this is a do or die game for both teams. The key battle will be that between Fetfatzidis v Nagatomo. Fetfatzidis lacks experience and is still growing as a player, but he can ask meaningful questions and help circumvent a key cog in Japan's attack. He often to pulls back into central areas and can cause problems for players across Japan's defense and midfield.

A major concern for us will be whether we can score goals. Not just one, but enough to win comfortably to put the loss to Colombia behind us and also to counter balance a negative goal differential as we go on to play Ivory Coast in our final match. The Ivorians pose a more difficult opponent than the Japanese (on paper at least). Against Ivory Coast, Greece stands a better chance of a draw than a win. A not fully fit Mitroglou and a super fit Kone will need to step up for Greece on the goal front.

20. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  21. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Wouldn't really consider Zaccheroni a tactically savvy coach.

22. nakata101

nakata101 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Just like someone said before(Cant remember who said that), if we dint win this match, it will be repeat of World Cup 2006. I don't want Honda score a goal than make some lousy pass, i rather see him make some good pass then assist his teammate.

GoYoungrokba repped this.
  23. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Matchup-wise Greece is a type of teams that can give Japan some troubles. (i.e. Australia and Uzbeks in the WC qualifications) Japan needs to play up-tempo style of the ball to utilize their crisp passing game and make up their lack of height. But I am not sure whether they built high level of fitness and stamina to play that way.

24. Harima83

Harima83 Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think Japan will beat Greece. Greece is not physically strong as Ivory Coast (but the National Japanese team will always have problems against teams like that if Japanese players don't begin to build up their bodies like the European ones) and it hasn't great forwards.
    I'm more concerned for the match with Colombia.

25. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Unfortunately Ivorian players had much more awarness before the first game... Seems like they trusted Lamouchi turned pro like they didn't in the past and I wouldn't be so sure if Columbia can take them down ealsily. That will be a tough one for them.