2013 USLPRO Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by VioletCrown, Feb 13, 2013.

1. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. It is inarguable that more people are at the games than the turnstile numbers indicate, and to be fair to the article it isn't implied that this isn't true. It just means the turnstile count of trackable tickets is far, far lower than what is being claimed.

So either OCSC is doing a terrible job of keeping track of who is getting tickets (whether on purpose or not), and how many of those tickets they are getting (their press release didn't make it any clearer), or the turnstile counting just isn't adequate at the Citrus Bowl.

bullsear and WorldGame repped this.
  2. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    A friend of mine received two comp tickets to the QF match. And his tickets were scanned just like mine(paid).
    In my post about the Preds several posts back, they are denying the low turnstile counts from the city. Both venues are owned by the City and both use the same wireless electronic scanners. If these things are accurate I'd be surprised.
    My wife who comes to some of the matches has said to me before, that she didn't hear a beep sound when they scanned her ticket.
    Could it be part of the reason for the discrepancy, sure could be, along with other variables and it's worth looking into. Which the writer doesn't do and instead takes the turnstile numbers for what they are. Yes in his article it says the attendance is most likely between the two reported numbers. Which we all know is true, but I think he put that in there to cover his butt.
    But for the average reader and non sports fan, what they focus on (and what gets their blood boiling) is the low turnstile number compared to the teams numbers.

WorldGame repped this.
  3. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Don't hold your breath. They have no legal or ethical reason to do so whatsoever. The article was in fact quite balanced, even allowing OCSC officials to make the case that their policies are well in line with other leagues--then going further by including the NBA's reported attendance policy.

The paper can't control what the public will take away from the article. OCSC knew the story was going to be released and either didn't think it would be a big deal or chose not to get out ahead of it. If they want to control their media message instead of letting people's imaginations run wild then they need to get out there and do some PR work.

sportzfrk99 repped this.
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20,866 for the USL Pro Championship

WorldGame repped this.
  5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

and that is how it looked like :)

6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely looks like 20K!

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to see the south end to truly appreciate just how many people were there. I wasn't able to see this myself at the match (since I was front and center with the Ruckus capos), and when I finally saw it, it blew me away.

brentgoulet repped this.
  8. Quick25

Quick25 Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another title, another massive crowd, haters can keep hating and living in denial.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #459 athletics68, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    Where were they playing in Irvine? At the university?

And what happened to Fullerton?

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Blues have bounced around, sometimes on a day's notice or less.

11. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good thing they're "Pro"

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :unsure: Doesn't sound like an organization that is poised to continue floundering around, with or without competition from a Galaxy USL squad.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't have a dog in the hunt, but I have to ask....

Does all this make you feel better, somehow?

If you are going to be covering the goings on in OKC between the two leagues, it kind of hurts your credibility to be so blatantly in one side's camp.

Just sayin'.

14. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said I was "covering" anything. I have made it abundantly clear that I am wholeheartedly in favor of the NASL group winning in OKC. I am so biased it's not even funny

15. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you missed his sarcasm, Kenn.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #466 kenntomasch, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    Wait, aren't you, like, a reporter? Do I have you confused with someone else?

I had thought you wrote this and linked to it and publicly announced you had written it. And since that's an actual newspaper (which is still a thing), that's...you know...covering.

So now I hope I do have you confused with someone else, because if you're actually actively reporting for an actual news outlet on the goings on and you admit you are "so biased it's not even funny," that's an issue.

17. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I think you have me confused with @Laramie. He is an actual reporter, I believe

18. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Final average for D3 USL Pro for the 2013 season is 2611, a slight drop from the 2658 average in 2012.
    Attendance has stagnated with not much of a positive effect for year one of the MLS/D3 USL Pro agreement. Sacramento should help next year, Oklahome City may be another VSI Tampa Bay and bring things down however.

19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know how this may sound, but I hope OKC does bring down USL attendance. I, and many others I think, do NOT want OKC to be in USL, but NASL instead. So I, at least, am silently rooting for OKC's USL team to ;1) Not start up at all, 2) Completely fail if they DO start up.
    2 teams, in 2 different leagues will not work in OKC. And I am putting all of my efforts behind the NASL team.