2013 Schedule and Rules released

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Yoshou, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF published the dates for USOC today and made a rules change where the home side for all USOC games will be determined via coin flip. Now that bidding for the quarter, semis and finals are gone, let the conspiracy theories about coin flipping begin! I wonder if they'll be broadcast live.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Lamar-...3/2013-US-Lamar-Hunt-US-Open-Cup-Release.aspx

2. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UPDATE in TheCup.us story ... USSF has eliminated the sale of hosting rights. If you don't want to host the game, don't put your name in the hat.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that an option? Wouldn't that just open up the possibility of a team paying another team to not even try to host the game?

5. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I guess it could ... but I can't imagine it would happen very often. Just like selling home games is pretty rare. (believe it or not)

You have to apply to USSF to host Open Cup games, so if you don't want to host, you don't apply.

6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So it's an all-or-nothing deal. As long as it's not on a game-by-game basis.

7. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I love all of these changes--especially the prize money.

8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who doesn't want 150% more cash?

9. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the one part that bugs me .(regarding the press release)
    [​IMG]
    What does "random selection" mean? & how does the "random selection" work?

10. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think you're right to question how the system will work. I'm actually not very enthused about last year's system, in which "randomly" selected lower division clubs were paired with "randomly selected" MLS teams automatically.

If they want to have a real cup format, they should either randomly assign slots on a bracket at the beginning of the tournament (after the play-ins) and then lock it, or they should randomly redraw the bracket every round. (My vote is for the former.)

It's unfair and unsporting to force lower division opponents to go through MLS teams automatically.

11. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody ever said the draw was random. It isn't, never has been, and US Soccer never claimed it was. It is designed to minimize travel expenses.

MLSinCleveland and bullsear repped this.
  12. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Good point. Thank you for the correction.

MLSinCleveland and blacksun repped this.
  13. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are teams allowed to forgo participation in the coin flip to host the match (effectively handing it to the other team) if they have absolutely no interest/ability to host said match?

Also, what if neither side (an issue in the all-amateur play-in/first rounds) has the ability/desire to host a particular match?

14. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wish that the draw was public.

I completely understand the match-ups of Cali team vs. Cali team, or AZ team vs. AZ team, due to travel costs. But lets say FC Tucson hosts Phoenix. Phoenix fans will want to know how Tucson won the draw to host the match. Or if its the other way around, Tucson fans will want to know how Phoenix won the draw. If the draw was public, it would eliminate the "speculation" part of the US Open Cup.

Jasonma repped this.
  15. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a regional draw. no one "won" anything. The hosting will be decided by a coin flip, IIRC (not a draw).

16. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you not read the press release at all?
    [​IMG]
    Only the Semi-Finals and Final will be decided by a coin flip. The Round 1-QuarterFinals hosts will be decided by "random selection."

17. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since the draw is pretty much set up geographically before the hosts are even decided, a coin flip seems like the easiest way to set up a random determination between two hosting choices for each match (assuming one club doesn't ask to be removed from hosting consideration).

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    In all honesty, I think US Soccer should have a live webcam inside their board room so the Open Cup Committee is together creating the match ups for all rounds proper with the trophy near by and then announcing it on US Soccer's website. Would be better.

UnionFreak1 repped this.
  19. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Soccer usually arranges the regional pods so that there are enough potential hosts in each pod.

If too many teams from one area don't want to host, US Soccer will just throw in some random Carolina or Rochester or whoever team that is able to host games.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  20. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!