2013 Qualifiers

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by SJJ, Jul 16, 2012.

1. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So 2 out of the 4 Region I semifinalists were disqualified? Ouch.

3. revolution1776

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not again.:eek: Do you know where this game will take place?

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there going to be an article regarding this on thecup.us? I've been waiting for one. (Not complaining. I see there haven't been too many updates the past few days, so I figure other things may be keeping you busy.)

5. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olujush, thanks for the updates on the Pancyprian Freedoms situation this weekend.

I see that Cal FC just lost 2-1 to Doxa Italia. Does that eliminate them? Anyone know if the tiebreaker out in that group is head-to-head or goal differential?

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, let's play it again Sam...

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/amateur/amateur2.php?article_id=33335

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Match ended 0:0 after extra time. It went to 8 rounds of PK's with Newtown Soccer edging NY Pancyprian Freedoms 7:6. Newtown will likely travel to Mass Premier next Sunday for the semifinal (location & time TBD).

The other semifinal between Aegean Hawks & Icon FC being played right now in Montville, New Jersey.

8. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for those too lazy to click the link, the protest was that the field was too narrow - 62yds, regulation is 65yds.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Shades of mid-late 1990s MLS. This is still an issue (at any level) in 2013?

11. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, we know all the entrants except for 2 (barring an overturn of KC Athletics victory over Dearborn):
    -Fresno Fuego Future/Los Gatos Storm
    -Newtown Pride/Mass Premier

it's probably safe to start wondering about potential matchups in the first round

First, I'll make a guess about the Play-In Round:
    -Fresno Future/Los Gatos will almost certainly play one of the California NPSL teams. I'll guess Sacramento Gold, though it might be Hasental too.
    -Colorado Rovers could wind up playing anyone. Geographically, they're closest to Madison 56ers, so I'll guess them. Though they could also wind up with the other CA NPSL team, or maybe even the Brooklyn Italians, since they backed into the tournament.

US Soccer will almost certainly divide the 36 first round teams into regional pods. Here's one way those pods could break down:

Northeast - Brooklyn, NYRB NPSL, Sonic Lehigh Valley, Icon, Newtown/MassPremier, Portland, Ocean City, Reading

Southeast - Chattanooga, Georgia, Red Force, Rayados, VSI Tampa Bay, Austin, Carolina, Laredo, Ocala, Orlando U23

Midwest - Colorado/Madison Play-In winner, KC Athletics, Adria, Dayton, Pittsburgh, Des Moines, Michigan, Real Colorado, River City

West - CA Play-In winner, Hasental, Doxa Italia, PSA Elite, Phoenix, Tucson, Portland U23, Seattle U23, Ventura County

Of course, that yields an odd number of teams in the midwest and west, so 1 of each of those teams would have to cross over. Maybe we'll get some random Dayton at Doxa Italia match.

One fix might be to send Pittburgh to the east, and have the Colorado Rovers play Brooklyn instead, with the winner being dumped against some western team.

Any thoughts?

soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how two of your pods can have nine teams. Obviously a first approximation. I also think there is still the rule that teams from the same "qualifying pool" [i.e. league: PDL, USASA, ...] can't be matched up. (It would have helped if you listed each teams' affiliation.)

I was trying to quickly mock up the Midwest, will have to leave for later.

13. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw a tweet from thecup.us that said the game will in fact be replayed this weekend, at a neutral site in Chicago.

Yeah, I mentioned that way way down at the bottom of my post. They're going to have to shift things around a little, or just have a cross-country game.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, wait! I thought they were going to be the next NASL team!

Remember when Cal FC was the darling squad? People wanted to see them go fully pro because they had that three-week run last year that everybody jumped on the bandwagon for and would have been much shorter had Kris Boyd not missed a penalty and blah blah blah blah.

Cal FC This and Cal FC That and Cal FC Cal FC. Oy.

soccersubjectively and JasonMa repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but sometimes Kenn you just have to look at it for what it is...a nice run...nothing more and nothing less.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georgia Revolution have announced that they will be travelling to Denver, CO where they will face off against the Colorado Rovers in 100th edition of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. Colorado Rovers are the USSSA Champions and are sure to provide a competitive match for the Revolution.
    Talking of the challenges of the match-up coach John Sprague was quoted saying, "This is a huge challenge for our team... Playing at altitude, on the road so far away from home in our first competitive match of the season will be difficult."
    The match is scheduled for May 8th. The news release is available on the (NPSL) Georgia Revolution facebook page.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is...I did look at it that way.

It was other people who lost their minds about it.

18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. The problem is that last year a lot of people were trying to look at it as a lot more than that.

19. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me, or has the USASA qualifying this year pretty much been one long string of protests?

Hopefully this doesn't carry over into the USASA sides' matches in the Open Cup proper.

21. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
  22. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
  23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amateur qualifying has been a farce this year. The USASA tournament has now been officially downgraded on the "MLSinCleveland scale of ugliness" from "Rat Fiesta" to the lowest ranking, "Clown Show."

Between the NPSL teams turning down spots and the USASA unable to run a competent, or even minimally orderly, qualifying tournament, I'm thinking that maybe the Open Cup should be reduced to just pro teams and maybe the PDL (something more along the lines of the League Cup than the FA Cup).