2013 Pitt Panthers. Welcome to the ACC. (R)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Nacional Tijuana, Apr 27, 2013.

1. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Hahahahaha Girls just want to have fun

2. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
  3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Regardless of the exact(??) strength of this 2014 recruiting class, there seems to be some consensus that it is the strongest and deepest class ever to enroll at Pitt.

That said, it has been my experience that this class will likely not have an immediate ACC impact as Pitt fans would of course dearly like. Perhaps in two more years, when these girls are juniors, is when I expect to see Pitt be more competitive in the ACC. (This, of course assumes that Greg Miller follows up this class with two more reasonably strong classes.) In the mean time more and better wins should accrue in the non-league portion of the schedule where crafty scheduling will be of prime importance.

By "competitive in the ACC" I mean that they may get a win or two in the league, and half of their ACC games be one or two goal games. It's going to take such success to breed more success, and unless coach Miller starts scoring big recruiting coups, a winning ACC season will likely be 4 to 6 years from now and this recruiting class will have laid the groundwork. But I have the feeling the Panthers fans are a realistic bunch and will hang with this team as it progress upwards, enjoying progress along the way. (Who doesn't love a spunky underdog!)

4. CollegeSoccerDad

Mar 2, 2013
    IMO Pitt has the chance to be an up and coming solid competitive program in the ACC. The facilities are second to none and the new head coach seems to be able to compete on the recruiting path. If some on the field success comes of the better recruiting then everything should fall in place.....Pitt should be able to recruit better because of it and win more with better recruiting. It will be hard for Pitt to get into the top echelon of ACC soccer because of the history of the programs (UNC, Duke, VA, etc...) but they should be competing with those teams and winning their fair share against the rest of the ACC...I'm rooting for the spunky underdog!

saladking repped this.
  5. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Isn't this the Coach that fired half the team last Spring even calling a meeting to take back all their gear?
    So that is were the money came from to recruit these new players? Way to go Pitt!!

6. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree with Soccerhunter. Going to take a while but they are making the right steps. This incoming class will help them improve but won't be expecting any miracles. I think they will at least get some points this year, definitely against Miami and perhaps an NC State. I am expecting Miami to be the doormat this year, lost a lot of their 2014 commits and from what I can tell the current staff have brought that program down a step or two.

7. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I have been on record stating that Panthers will be competitive in the next few years. I believe this class is the foundation of that process. Pitt Nation expects no miracles in the ACC (one of the top 4 leagues in the world):). However, we should feel excited about what the future holds. So we look forward to seeing how 2014 will transpire. The likes of Clemson and Maryland of a few years ago gives us hope :cool:

8. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Eddy K This is 2014. We have moved on. It may not be a bad idea to do the same.:cool:

9. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    You mean "I support this team so please don't air our dirty laundry"
    I wonder if those players who had their scholarships taken by Mr. Miller feel that way. Many have not even graduated yet... and yes, I know the family of one of them. So you won't be convincing me to be a Pitt fan and putting this thread at the top of forum reminds me to chime in now and then so thanks.

10. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I began responding to your post and said to myself "Girl its a waste of your damn time". Haters will always hate. I am just looking forward to my new Panthers. I love the new staff. It seems like all the new kids who they brought in love them too. GO PITT!!! Wish them all the best in 2014 and beyond:cool::cool::cool::cool:

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Thanks again for bringing this up. Hate is a strong and emotional word. I would love to root for Pitt. Their addition to the ACC seems terrific. But I judge based on the actions of the coach and school, not rhetoric or blind faith. Imagine if Pitt decided, "you know we don't like this group of Engineering Majors, lets just take their scholarships, hope they'll go away quietly, and start over with a new crop".

Clearly, there's no loyalty in this business and Mr. Miller is out for himself and his career and maybe the Pitt program will benefit but there ARE casualties in this process and sometimes they are not forgotten. So, will you "love the new staff" when they bomb out of the ACC and get fired and half the current players get shredded by another new coach?
    Schools that behave this way need to be remembered so please keep provoking me and I'll have still another take next time...

hykos1045 repped this.
  12. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    At the moment I am looking forward to this class being the catalyst that helps Pitt become competitive in the ACC. GO PANTHERS

13. iloveny

iloveny Member

Oct 5, 2009
    WELL SAID EDDIE K!!! :thumbsup:

14. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    WELL SAID ILOVENY:cool:

15. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Congrats to my Pitt Panthers on their first ACC win against the University of Syracuse. I had a chance to see them play their first three ACC games and was impressed with the suttle improvements during each game. Even though they lost to BC they owned possession while dominating them in the first 20 minutes and the majority of the second half. I felt a similiar performance would have gotten them a win against Syracuse and it did. I wish them continued success as their young team continue to find ways to improve in the conference I often refer to as the group of death. So stay the course and continue to work hard. Hopefully its their first step to greater things over the next 2-3 years. GO Pitt

go T and mamalia repped this.
  16. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to my former home team. I lived in the North Hills from 00-09.

go T and saladking repped this.
  17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in North Hills, PA, from 1958 on for a bunch of years. I'm thinking, your North Hills was near Pittsburgh. Mine was near Philly. Is my thinking about your North Hills correct?

18. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was. The North Hills comprises several townships and boroughs in northern Allegheny County. I lived 12-15 mi. north of the city. The way you say North Hills, yours sounds like an actual town, rather than just an area. I'll need to look that up. My father's uncle lives in Merion Station, a Main Line community. I think that's Swarthmore College area.

19. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Parent of which player? Or a coach/staff member? That's the only way to see all three games since BC doesn't broadcast and Syracuse rarely does. Knowing the relationships of posters is neat and explains some of the opinions and views.

By just looking at scores, seems Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, NC State and Louisville could all get results against one another.

20. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Relative! As you know soccer is an unique sport. A team could out-shoot a team 30 to 3 and still tie or lose the game. So I am looking forward to seeing how the rest of the ACC season goes. Hopefully all the teams you mentioned sets their sites higher when it comes to getting results. Clemson did last year and got some quality results in the league. I was extremely happy for them. GO Pitt

21. Panther Fan

Panther Fan New Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Congrats to Pitt! Nice to finally have an ACC win after 16 tries. However talking with other parents in the parking lot I also feel EXTREMELY lucky and relieved. I have no idea why we play such a high line with very little pace in the back and the coaches made no adjustment. Syracuse had fast forwards and 3 breakaways in the first half alone. We were very fortunate Syrause couldn't finish and that Taylor made a couple huge saves. Second half was better but still Syracuse had more of the run of play. We didn't deserve that win but of course we'll take it. Surprised to have gotten a pretty soft PK call on the road as well. Not pretty and not deserved as we weren't the better side by far, but the fight kept us in it and we'll take the W for now.

go T repped this.
  22. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Panther Fan or who ever you are that was a nice try. hahaha You should have talked to me in the Parking lot I am sure you would have gotten a different perspective :). You saw a soccer game. Both teams created chances and their keepers came up big. Eventually one team scored. Lets be honest with the readers. Syracuse didn't have three breakaways in the first half. Pitt had their fair amount of chances before they scored as well. Our keeper who is absolutely awesome did what she has been doing all year. She made big saves when her team needed it. So you were right about her.As far as luck goes. I wish Pitt could continue to be lucky :) We will take a win like that every day :) You say the Pitt coaches didn't make any adjustments. So why did the team have more of the possession in the second half out-shooting Syracuse in the process. Remember they also scored two goals. The first was called offside. Real fans don't undercover hate. As far as the 16 tries comment. We really don't care. We got a win on the road. I have done a lil coaching in my time. So the high line comment and lack of speed in the back we will disagree on that one too. You are right on the soft PK. PSYCHE when a player gets push down in the box, the ref will call that 9 out of 10 times. If it was at home Panther Fan you could question it and most will give you the benefit of the doubt. However, it was on the road. Maybe Pitt doesn't win another game for the year. So we will enjoy this one. As a Pit Fan lets just enjoy it and give our kids and coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. :cool: GO PITT

23. Panther Fan

Panther Fan New Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did you see the same game I did? Not hard to identify what a breakaway is. Read Greg Miller's own quotes on the Pitt website.
    My daughter was up there as she is checking out both programs. Was good to see the styles in play. Saw the offsides on the Pitt goal which was clear, and the offsides on Syracuse of which 2 were very close. And because I sat on that side of the field I also saw the PK call which was very, very soft.
    I am not biased either way. Honestly I like both programs since they have an interest in my daughter. I was there watching the game and seeing how the teams play. Just reading the game as I see it.

24. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Well if that's the case you didn't seem to rate the Pitt staff nor their players. But its okay. We feel good about our Pitt Panthers and where they are headed. I hope their staff, school and players continue to attract parents and players who believe in what they are building and what they are about. I for one believe in their staff and their present players. I wish you and your daughter continued success in your search to find a school and program that will allow her to be successful. GO PITT

25. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I can still here the footsteps of the former Pitt players that were fired and had their scholarships taken by Mr. Miller. I love the phrase "believe in what they are building and what they are about" And what is that exactly? Win in the ACC and don't care about the casualties?
    And way to attack a neutral observer just making comments on the forum....geesh. I liked he's take on the game better than your biased perspective anyway. Let's not let the truth and some good soccer commentary ruin a good forum thread.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.