2013 Pitt Panthers. Welcome to the ACC. (R)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Nacional Tijuana, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. And since we've hit calendar year 2013, let's start a brand new thread. We looking to be any better this year? Anybody go to any spring matches?

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Pitt Panthers?
    A future ACC juggernaut in soccer.
    LOL

The next Mewis?
    [​IMG]

3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I wouldn't be so dismissive, my friend. Pitt potentially now has the coaching in place and is a reasonably attractive place to recruit to -especially now with ACC membership to tout. Sure, in the next year or two it may be a struggle, but stranger things have happened. In four years I will not be surprised to see Pitt emulating what Miami has done... coming in about 2/3's down in the ACC standings, (that would be about #9 or #10 in the larger ACC) but so strong as to get serious consideration for the NCAA tournament. And who knows from there?

To kick things off in the ACC, the recruiting classes lined up for 2013 and 2014 are strong classes -the 2013s will end up around #30 and the 2014s will probably end up about #15 (unless they add another strong player, in which case they will keep their current #10 ranking!) If such a recruiting pace is kept up for the following several years, Pitt should be a top 30 school and up to the middle of the ACC and a NCAA regular.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing I think will come as a surprise is the NCAA Tournament effects of the ACC's determination to play a full conference round robin schedule. I think the effect of this will be a drop in rankings for the ACC's teams due to the way the RPI computes strength of schedule, and I believe this will have a pretty significant effect on teams that in the past might have been bubble teams. The effect will be negative -- costing previous bubble teams perhaps in the range of 10+ rank positions or even more -- which means some of them are likely not even to get bubble consideration.

If the NCAA were to shift to something like my Iteration 5 RPI, this would not happen, but so long as the NCAA sticks to its current method for computing the unadjusted RPI, the strong mega conferences are going to be hurt if they play full conference round robins.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Pitt may get up to Miami's level (at maximum).
    They will never be as good as Wake Forest.
    For right now, they're on par with Clemson, if that.

6. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Actually, I expect Clemson to leave the ACC cellar behind this fall. The have a good class coming in and Radwanski is no slouch as a coach. I'm afraid that the NCSU will bring up the read next year. The coaching change was late enough for the Wolfpack that their class next year will not be very strong.

go T repped this.
  7. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Pitt may get up to Miami's level (at maximum).
    They will never be as good as Wake Forest.
    For right now, they're on par with Clemson, if that.

I guess you are one of those folks who can see into the future.:ROFLMAO:

8. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Had a chance to see them against WVU and Ohio State. Two credible performances. There coaching staff seem to get the most out of their players. I am really looking forward to seeing them with much better players in their arsenal.

9. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Soccerhunter you seem to have a good handle on Pitts direction. I recently found out from a close contact about some of their 2015 prospects. They can be even better than their 2014 class. I agree in 4 years they can position themselves middle of the pack

10. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree and also feel Pitt will improve. Getting to the level of Miami and VA Tech is very possible with a couple years. They definitely need to improve on a 116 RPI from this past year and they weren;t competitive in the Big East.

Should be interesting to see what the other additions will do for the ACC. Notre Dame can of course compete right away and they had a 14 RPI last year. Syracuse can also get to that Miami and VA Tech level in time as well, but they have to improve from a 86 RPI last year. Louisville jumps in during 2014, had a 40 RPI last year but didn't get in the Tourney and was Sweet 16 the year before that.

Here is how SoccerHunter has the newcomers' classes rated as of this point:
    Notre Dame: 2013-#4, 2014-#5
    Pitt: 2013-#37, 2014-#10
    Syracuse: #32, 2014-#19
    Louisville: #46, 2014-#26

Couple late internationals for Pitt and Syracuse should push them each a little higher for 2013. So recruiting shuold much improve these programs, with Notre Dame remaining an elite power. Still much work to do before competing with UNC, Duke, Florida State, Wake Forest, and Virginia (and Notre Dame). But definitely can compete with Miami and VA Tech sooner than later. And Clemson (fantastic class this year) and NC State will only get better. One heck of a conference.

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Actually I think the Panthers are going all the way. National Championship.

In 2039.

12. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Okay I get it you are just a Pitt Hater. No worries we are all entitled to our own opinions. Won't waste my time responding to anymore of your quotes

go T repped this.
  13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I don't hate Pitt, cmon now, lol.
    I'm just saying, they have an uphill battle.
    They got a few half-way decent recruits coming in, certainly no future senior national team players. They'll win a game or two here and there in the ACC, but they'll never be a factor in the league race. Their program is gradually getting a little better. But they're still on the opposite end of the spectrum for being a College Cup challenger anytime soon. Long way to go for that.

14. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you all prefer a Duquesne thread? Maybe Robert Morris?

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    That's not very nice, is it?.....but I'll bite.
    How is the Duquesne guy doing - came up from D2 right? Any traction there yet.
    And how does the RMU coach keep his job?

Pitt has the tools now to to compete at least with a decent coach, new campus field, etc. but coming from consistently bottom of the Big East to the ACC is a big ask for any coach/staff. Western PA is producing real good players on occasion- are they doing well locally or is Penn St still a default choice for the very best PA kids?

16. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Eddy K from what I know about their recruiting classes the majority of the players are not from Western PA. One of their 13's is a highly rated player from Western PA who was highly recruited by some of the top schools in Big 10, former Big East and Big 12. They also have another in the 2014 class who is a very good player. I do believe that will will continue to attract the elite players coming out of PA West who fit the ACC profile.

I know their staff fully understand the task they have at hand. Being relevant in the ACC is no easy task. However, I have been impressed by some of their commitments for not having proven themselves in the ACC as yet. I am not one to make statements concerning things I have no clue about. So I can't sit here today and make statements about future results. I am sure some of us can agree as former players and or present/former coaches our teams have won games they had no right winning and have also lost games they had no right losing. So I can't make nonsensical statements about how many games they will win in the future or not being a factor in the ACC in the future.

I am glad programs like Maryland, Miami and VA Tech weren't listening to that crap. So I am truly looking forward to seeing what they can do with all their new talent in the next 4 years. Do I expect college cups anytime soon? No. I just want to see them compete in the very tough ACC. If they can be in the middle of the pack or even close in 4 years I will be happy. It will improve their profile and if by then they are getting commitments from national team kids then its all good. So until then I remain a full time supporter of the Pitt Panthers. :cool:

Nacional Tijuana and go T repped this.
  17. go T

go T New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Cary, North Carolina
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is that the 2013-2014 prep and season start really soon. Many from the 2013 recruiting class will be on campus for the summer session at the end of June.

Gonna be quiet here at home, but we do plan to be making lots of hotel reservations!! :thumbsup:

H2P

18. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting question. When I lived in the Pittsburgh area from 00-09, the youth soccer movement seemed huge, at least for its size. At some point---not sure when---the Riverhounds developed an academy, for both boys and girls. The women's college cup came here to USD last year. I went to it, since I live here now. Penn State lost to UNC, but their only scorer was a Hounds academy girl. I loved to see that, no matter which team she was on (I was neutral. My Aztecs lost in the third round. Great year, though.).

19. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Supporting and being a homer are 2 separate things.

Middle of the pack ACC?
    5. UVA
    6. Duke
    7. Miami
    8. BC
    9. Virginia Tech

Recruiting rankings, especially in soccer, mean little. Outside of the National Team kids, sites like Topdrawer don't seem very accurate. Coach Milner seems to be getting some recruits but 2-6-2 is basically the same record the previous coach had in conference. Can he coach? Yet to be determined. Wish him and Pitt well.

20. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    How did you figure who was the middle of the pack? Is this the end of the season conference ranking? I did find it interesting that both Maryland and BC were completely left out of an earlier discussion. Maryland I get as they are leaving but BC is staying put. No question that ND, Pitt and Syracuse are going to discover just how NC centric this league is.

21. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    If you went off recruiting rankings Maryland, UVA, BC and Duke would have national titles but neither of them has any.

22. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
  23. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A good question to ask is how is 'success' defined at Pitt? Could they become a top 40 RPI program, and therefore become a first or second round NCAA Tournament team? That is not much in ACC standards but is a HUGE step from where they are now.

Last year they were 2-6-2 in a so-so Big East and didn't make their conference tournament. They list by 4 goals to Marquette and DePaul (DePaul!) and 8 goals to Georgetown. If they go from a 116 RPI to getting into the 40-50 RPI range that would be a massive improvement and would have to think that would make their administration relatively happy.

But no way will they compete with the UVa's, Duke's, UNC's, Florida State's, Wake Forest's, or Notre Dame's of the world. Perhaps they can get to a Miami, VA Tech, sinking Boston College, rising Clemson, or rising Syracuse for now if they keep recruiting up. They can get good kids, but not great kids for ACC play. Heard at Jefferson Cup they will get Mia Hoen-Beck for instance, that is a joke.

24. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    LOL No comment

25. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Not sure what you mean - that this YNT player would NEVER consider Pitt or that she HAS to be at a top-10 program? In these crazy times, she'll commit soon but Pitt could be mid-tier ACC by the time she would arrive. Geez - the ACC may not even be there by the time she arrives!
    Someone cited Va Tech, MD as recent revived ACC teams. You have to start somewhere and getting a top-tier kid (who hangs out with other top-tier kids) IS the ticket.