2013 pairings announced

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by cleazer, May 1, 2013.

1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the only real out-of-region matchups would be the potential 2 Georgia/Colorado games, and PSA Elite va Laredo.

2. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Tucson is charging a ridiculous amount for the match. $18.26 per ticket. No discounts for season ticket holders.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a lot. Above average for USOC prices, especially the earlier rounds. But we've seen worse.

4. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are some of the worst ticket prices for past USOC matches? And when you compare the ticket prices of the other first round matches, FC Tucson is charging a stupid amount.
    1. Georgia Revs at Colorado Rovers (Free)
    2. FC Hasental at Fresno Fuego Future (Free)
    3. Mass Premier Soccer at GPS Portland PHX (Free)
    4. Icon FC at Brooklyn Italians (Free)
    5. New York Red Bulls U23’s at Ocean City Nor'easterns ($10)
    6. FC Lehigh Valley United Sonic at Reading United ($5)
    7. Ocala Stampede (PDL) at Red Force (USASA) (Unavailable)
    8. VSI Tampa Bay FC at Orland City U-23 ($8)
    9. Chattanooga FC at Carolina Dynamo ($7)
    10. Dearborn Stars at Michigan Bucks ($8)
    11. RWB Adria at Pittsburgh Riverhounds (Unavailable)
    12. River City Rovers at Dayton Dutch Lions ($5)
    13. NTX Rayados (USASA) at Austin Aztex ($10)
    14. Madison 56ers (NPSL) at Des Moines Menace ($9)
    15. Phoenix FC at FC Tucson ($18.26)
    16. Sacramento Gold vs. Portland Timbers U23’s ($10)
    17. Doxa Italia at Sounders FC U23s ($10)
    18. PSA Elite at Laredo Heat SC ($5)
    19. Winner of Fresno Fuego Future (US Club Soccer)/FC Hasental (NPSL) at Ventura County Fusion (Free for STH)

Also, this is the email FC Tucson sent out to everyone on the mailing list.
    I guess they're charging that much because this game is HISTORIC. If there's over 600 people at the match (stadium fits 1,200) I would be shocked. & yes, I'll be at the match, but its just a stupid price to charge for a match on a Tuesday.

5. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm.... The 26-cents threw me for a moment, then I realized that 1826 looks like a year. Is that a significant year in Arizona / Tucson? Some quick web searches didn't turn up much; but I do see that the phone number for University of Arizona Clinical (in Tucson) is (520) 621-1826: http://www.tucsondirectory.org/listings/university_of_arizona_clinical.html

Are they actually going to give $1.74 in change for every ticket?

For the third round, the hosting fee is $12,000. That could be covered in a mere 658 tickets. And for the final, the fee is $250,000; so I hope your stadium holds at least 13,692. (At $18.25, it would take 13699 tickets; see, that extra penny adds up!): http://thecup.us/2013-us-open-cup-d...first-round-100th-tournament-kicks-off-may-7/

But, honestly, with a price that high, they should state something like "$10.00 for the team; $8.26 for charity"

6. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a non-STH price for the Fusion game. Is that TBA or is it STH-only?

7. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Chattanooga Football Club
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea about the year, but at my college, whenever you started a new activity club, it was common knowledge to submit a budget to Student Senate with a penny amount so it looked like you really had your act together and had super-specific need for that amount of money.
    Maybe that's what's going on?

8. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The price doesn't represent anything special.
    http://shop.fctucson.com/
    The price of the ticket is $16. The fee from the ticketing company is $1. & the taxes charged by Pima County is $1.26. So the total price is $18.26
    Likely TBA. I couldn't find a price for the match, so i just used the STH price.
    http://venturacountyfusion.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Pages.Page/id/147
    Nope, that's not what's going on. FC Tucson has existed since 2010. Unlike any other PDL, USL-Pro, or NASL club, FC Tucson makes most of its money from the MLS Pre-Season, with the Desert Cup and the Desert Friendlies. They are also charging the most in PDL for regular season tickets ($120 for 10 games, or $12 a ticket).

9. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's basically a matter of a team who can't price tickets to come out to an even dollar amount with taxes added in. Probably an inexperienced controller/accountant (that was the reason the only time I ever ran across this issue with a team I've followed).

$12 a game for PDL SEASON TICKETS!!! What the...?

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. WTF? I only pay $21/game for my Rapids tickets which is a great deal, but I can't see paying 57% of that for a team 3 leagues lowers.

11. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paid $0 to see the Union beat the Rapids in person, so.... you're overpaying. :D
    7 of the matches are PDL "Official" games. 3 of the matches are FRIENDLIES. One is against an Adult Rec League Team from Tucson, one is against an Indoor Soccer team from Phoenix, and the third and final friendly is against an Adult Rec League Team from So Cal. & single game tickets are $14 per person. So yeah...
    & if FC Tucson hosts the Western Conference Championship (which they likely will if they finish in the top 2 in the Southwest Conference), then those tickets are also not included in the season ticket package. You have to purchase them separately as well, just like with the US Open Cup tickets.

12. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! It gets worse. Can the market really bear these prices or would they likely make more $ selling more tickets at normal PDL prices?

These prices seem more USL-Pro than PDL.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This explains why Phoenix FC's prices are where they are, I reckon.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're just getting you used to paying those prices for when you get your MLS team.

Ha.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually the script treatment for the new film, "Any Given Tuesday."

Also, it's one of the most pretentious things ever written.

MLSinCleveland and JasonMa repped this.
  16. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Phoenix and Tucson FO's need to get their heads out of their Asses. It’s a fact, or both franchises are going to suffer. If you can get into a DBacks/Tucson Padres game for $5, then you need to lower your prices. You're not going to get the average sports fan to attend a match when the cheapest ticket is $12.
    Even MLS teams don't charge fans $18.26 for US Open Cup matches. The games were free for season ticket holders last season for the Union.
    You should see the season ticket marketing. "Start your own soccer legacy today..."

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semifinal tickets were free to season ticket holders who purchased quarterfinal tickets.

3rd-round tickets were NOT free, even for STHs. They were able to purchase their own seats at a reduced rate, but they were neither free nor included in the season ticket package.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/ne...r-rhinos-may-29-us-open-cup-third-round-match

And DC United charged $20 at the door for the round of 16 match against Philadelphia.

18. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so the tickets were still only $15 for a Third Round match (while FC Tucson tickets are $18.26 for a First Round match). & I guess you're allowed to charge $20 when you've won 4 MLS Cups and 2 US Open Cups. Its still a stupid amount for FC Tucson to charge. & shouldn't you be at Scum Devil Stadium right now?

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're adorable.

Just admit you were wrong.

20. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no doubt I can sneak in for free.

21. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Anywhere I can go to watch the games online or on TV?

22. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheCup.us is trying to put together a list of media avenues for all the games. This could range from just Facebook & Twitter updates, to live audio and/ or video streams, depending on the host club. Keep an eye out on TheCup's site for information.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rare is the USOC match on TV prior to the final.

It's very possible that USL and NASL teams hosting will stream them (many were streamed last year). Even some PDL teams did last year, with varying degrees of quality.

24. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, NPSL squad, Georgia Revolution, got their local career development academy (is that just a fancy term for community college?) to stream their US Open Cup match vs. NASL's Atlanta Silverbacks. The production value was pretty good (scoreboard graphics, multiple cameras), but I'm sure if they were a PDL club, it would have been better - probably in HD or something.
    http://www.playonsports.com/channels/rockdalecareeracademy-conyers-georgia/events/35404