2013 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by raiderD15, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Thanks again Gilmoy. I was watching local competitions and your commentary again kept me up with the game.

midfieldmadness repped this.
  2. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    Who do you root for the American players or Europe players?

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    ACC teams (sans UNC) do not know how to win a National Title.

You could have 7 ACC teams in the Elite 8 (without UNC there), and the one non-ACC team that made that particular Elite 8 would still win the National Title.

4. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    You wrote "she was non existent in this game" about the player who was one the best if not the best on the field for at least 60 minutes. That's all I'm saying.

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes, let's completely downplay how good a team UCLA is...

First Stanford, then UNC, now Virginia. Who else do they have to beat to get a little respect?

6. TinkerTaylor

TinkerTaylor Member

Sep 16, 2013
    I've always felt a really good coach could dominate women's college soccer at UCLA or Stanford. There are so many inherent recruiting advantages for both of those schools. Even mediocre coaches can pull in talent.

UCLA has finally found themselves a good coach. If they can beat FSU Sunday(I think they're the favorite), Cromwell could very well win two, maybe three, College Cups in a row. They've got everyone coming back next year, and no one, save Stanford, can match their talent.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I didn't disrespect them.
    I believe they beat FSU for sure in the Title game.
    I'm just saying, in 50-50 matches for the ACC deep in the tournament, they just can't get it done.
    Unless it's UNC of course.

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, UCLA beat us and we still don't respect them ;)

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So Luke, do u think this costs Brian the Herman or do u think she gets it anyway?

10. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Amanda Cromwell going UCLA was worse thing to happen for a lot programs. This lady with UCLA talent. Yikes.

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Maybe the Portland Thorns should consider hiring Cromwell.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I think it's time for the College Cup to adopt a 3rd place match.
    Virginia vs. Virginia Tech in the College Cup Bronze Medal Match, would still be entertaining to watch.

13. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    Dunn gets it. Brian is a high quality passer who plays well in a passimg system with another mac candidate and another player who put up 12 goals. Don't get me wrong she is really good but I don't think she is the best college player. In this game Dunn would have attacked ucla and put unc on her back like she did last year in the post season and like she did this year.

14. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I didn't get to see the first game but the hightlights looked like it was an entertaining game.

UCLA - Virginia.
    First ten minutes was all Virginia possession, but UCLA never really looked in trouble, and as the half wore on they started gaining more possession although never looked particularly dangerous and didn't put a lot of pressure on Virginia. UCLA made much better adjustments in the second half and got Mewis involved more. Iv'e watched Courtnall in the last two games and she might well be the player of the tournament so far. She shut down UNC's Ohai, and provided the all important tying goal today and played exceptionally well tonight. How often has a fullback been MVP of the tourney? Do they name an MVP?

I can't imagine Sampson wouldn't have had his goalie picked before the PK's, and I'm sure they had their PK takers chosen ahead of time as they would have practiced a lot in the last few weeks.
    I think Cromwell out-coached Sampson tonight. UCLA in my opinion looked more likely to score and seemed to push the match more, although I don't think it would have been an injustice if Virginia won.

A very enjoyable game to watch. Looking forward to the final. Also great to see the good weather and a lot of people from the CASL showcase in attendance. Thinned out a bit in the second half as a lot had to get back to their hotel rooms for early games tomorrow.

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The "Most Valuable Player to Her Team" award should go to Campbell from FSU.

16. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Tonight was my first time seeing all final four teams play. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Very impressed with VT; better technical skill then I imagined. I figured that they were just playing on adrenaline, emotion--but those kids can flat out play. I can see why UCLA has the best defense in the nation. They reminded me of Italy when watching them play--they make defense entertaining and exciting. At times, I thought the Bruins were too casual and relaxed in the back, which I think UVA's first goal showed. However, for the remainder of the match, the Bruins' defense was, for the most part focused, relaxed and confident. The 1st half of the last match was a snooze fest but I'm glad I turned the TV on for the 2nd half and extra time. :geek:

Oh and: Cromwell or Adair for CotY. :coffee:

17. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Beat me to it, again. ;) I was thinking this earlier. Dunn goes out as a 2-time winner, can't see anyone beating her out as the best player. That kid just has a Zidane like importance to her squad. A healthy Dunn and UNC is looking ahead to Sunday's final--I say that as a neutral, non UNC fan.

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    FSU just doesn't like playing against Pac 12 teams in College Cup Finals.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    In fact, FSU doesn't like playing against Pac 12 teams at all in the College Cup.

2005: blown out by UCLA in the Semifinal (UCLA then got blown out by Portland in the Final)
    2007: lost to USC in the Final
    2011: lost to Stanford in the Semifinal

20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Hmm. I don't see UCLA blowing out FSU. Aside from a few, intriguing moments, UCLA's attack was a bit suspect. Yet, they are a defensive squad, so I can't fault them for that. I'm tempting to predict another PK shootout for Sunday's final :eek:

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, I'm predicting a 0-0 PK shootout in the Final, with UCLA prevailing.
    I think Rowland and Wys will perform a Classic in the Final, and Rowland will save one more penalty kick.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

And they have now given up 6 goals all year.

23. TinkerTaylor

TinkerTaylor Member

Sep 16, 2013
    UCLA is susceptible to counters when they bring their backs up. And Fields has the speed to trouble even the UCLA back line. That said, FSU will have to play a lot better than they did tonight.

Unless they are emotionally and/or physically spent after tonight's match, I think the Bruins win their first of many College Cups to come during the Cromwell era.

24. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    It looked ugly with that missed PK and how exhausted she looked late in the second half, but I think she can still get it. Dunn didn't have to play for 90 minutes in every meaningful game like Brian, maybe Herman comittee people will take it into consideration.

25. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sarah Killion deserves a lot of credit in this game for not only shutting down Brian but also providing that inch perfect pass to Courtnall for her goal.

midfieldmadness and holden repped this.