2013 Gold Cup Venues

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Clenbuterol, Jan 23, 2013.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Number of UNCAF teams in Hexagonals:
    For World Cup 2014: 3
    For World Cup 2010: 3
    For World Cup 2006: 3
    For World Cup 2002: 2
    For World Cup 1998: 2

That's 2 or 3 countries all five times, and UNCAF gets 5 countries in the Gold Cup, so Canada missing Hexagonals doesn't mean they're worse than the fifth best UNCAF team.

2. chris2787

chris2787 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Idk, Canada is pretty bad. Costa rica, Honduras, panama, el Salvador and Guatemala could all argue that they're better.

JohnnyFutbol repped this.
  3. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agreed! I would add Belize :D, Cuba, Jamaica, and Trinidad and Tobago to the contest.

4. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Truth be told, Costa Rica and Honduras pretty much have automatic qualifications as well, as it would take roughly and act of god to have one of them fail to qualify from that crappy UNCAF tournament.

But I get your point, and I agree. It's just one more thing that makes the Gold Cup a joke.

5. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I agree. Guatemala is out and we've been to the Hex more recently than Canada. Plus, we only missed this hex by goal difference. On top of that Guatemala would bring more fans to the games. F*ck Canada. JP. (Not Really)

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's how many points Canada, Guatemala, and El Salvador have gotten in recent Semifinals (I excluded Panama because they missed the Semifinals in qualifying for World Cup 2010):

For World Cup 2014: Canada 10, Guatemala 10, El Salvador 5
    For World Cup 2010: Canada 2, Guatemala 5, El Salvador 10
    For World Cup 2006: Canada 5, Guatemala 10, El Salvador 4
    For World Cup 2002: Canada 5, Guatemala 10, El Salvador 9
    For World Cup 1998: Canada 16, Guatemala 8, El Salvador 10

Total: Guatemala 43, Canada and El Salvador 38 each

GoldenOne repped this.
  7. Free Glass

Free Glass Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    ANYONE ELSE EVER THINK JUST TEXAS COULD HOST THE GOLD CUP?

I do.
    Sometimes.

If Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica can handle the whole Copa Centroamericana, I don't see why a Dallas - Houston combo can't handle it all.

I mean... Its obvious why they do it so wide spread.
    I'm not gonna pretend like its some big mystery.
    But damn its fun to let the ol' noggin run wild every now and then.

8. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    It is possible but the CONCACAF is going away from a handful of venues hosting. People get bored with it fast.

Changing venues every match day keeps things simple and fresh. A new set of fans get to focus on one double header then it moves on to the next venue with enthusiastic fans.

blacksun repped this.
  9. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    LOL, I never thought I would ever read the words "simple and fresh" in a sentence about the Gold Cup.

This is the stupidest way to run a international tournament, but whatchagonnado, it's CONCACAF.

10. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Stupid makes money.

11. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Well yeah, that's a given, making money is why CONCACAF runs this shitty tournament in such a shitty way.

One does have to wonder whatever happens to all that money though...

12. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    You may not like it but there really is no alternative until another Federation steps up and actively lobbies to host this thing.

Closest we saw to that was Canada a few years ago. (And that idea went down the toilet.)

As for where the money goes, who knows. But the Federations are not complaining so they are probably seeing a pretty penny.

blacksun repped this.
  13. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I agree 100% with everything you said here.

14. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Still bowing down to the almighty dollar even after Trash Warner left...I doubt things will ever change in this region...

15. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I did a little bit more digging, and turns out the Costa Rican federation has actually lost money for the last two gold cups. Now of course that doesn't mean *nobody* from the federation made any money, just that nothing trickled down to help with the finances.

http://www.nacion.com/2011-06-02/Deportes/NotasDestacadas/Deportes2797586.aspx

I have a feeling this is not that uncommon with all the other federations.

16. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    It's not surprising.This tournament is profitable for the US mostly

17. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    02/20/2013
    Gold Cup to open with Mexico at Rose Bowl
    REIGNING CHAMPIONS - MEXICO - TO BEGIN DEFENSE OF TITLE AT THE HISTORIC VENUE ON SUNDAY, JULY 7

http://www.concacaf.com/page/GoldCup/NewsDetail/0,,12813~3083341,00.html

A special pre-sale will be available for the 2013 Gold Cup opening doubleheader, starting tomorrow, Thursday, February 21. In order to take advantage of the pre-sale users should follow CONCACAF on Twitter and Facebook. Those who tweet or post in the CONCACAF Facebook page using the hashtag #GoldCup2013 will receive via private message a Code with directions to purchase their tickets.

The 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup groups and schedules will be announced mid-March.

https://twitter.com/CONCACAF

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialCONCACAF

18. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Good Choice. If Pasadena is not used for the Final the first match for Mexico makes the most sense. 90K people is a good way to kick things off.

Looks more and more likely the Final will be in Chicago as has been rumored in the US Forums.

19. Blue Lou

Blue Lou Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It's not, it's because Canada are a member of NAFU (North American Football Union). CFU and UNCAF have their qualifying competitions, NAFU do not.

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but as long as CONCACAF gives three spots to NAFU which has three countries, a NAFU tournament would be pointless because nobody would be eliminated.

Edit: Out of Canada getting in automatically because they won a Gold Cup, your claim that Canada gets in automatically because they're in NAFU, and NAFU having all their countries be defending champions and not needing to have to eliminate anybody in qualifying it's like asking whether the chicken or the egg came first.

21. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    We know what came first Canada had an automatic qualification long before they won the gold cup. Canada has only had to qualify for the gold cup once and ironically it was the year they won the gold cup. However Canada had an automatic birth to gold since it started in 1991 which was long before they won it

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know if Canada would have had an automatic berth (not birth) in Gold Cup 2002 if they hadn't won Gold Cup 2000?

23. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    My point was this isn't like the chicken and the egg we know what came first. Canada has gotten a spot because they are in NAFU for all but one gold cup.

Given the changes CONCACAF made to qualifying and who gets to participate in the gold cup from 2002 on it is a safe bet Canada would have gone back to an automatic birth even without winning the 2000 Gold Cup. I can't see a scenario where CONCACAF increases the numbers of CONCACAF participants and still makes Canada qualify just because they hadn't ever won the tournament. Just like I can't see an automatic spot given to a Central American or Caribbean team after winning the Gold cup. Things rarely change in CONCACAF and when they do it's generally because they are looking to make more money I have yet to see CONCACAF base any decisions on merit or competition

24. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Back to Gold Cup Venues... ...I predict:

Mexico's Group : Pasadena, Denver, Atlanta
    USA's Group: Hartford, Salt Lake, Portland
    Miscellaneous Group (Honduras and El Salvador could be here): Houston, Baltimore, NJ

Quarterfinals: Seattle, Miami
    Semifinals: Dallas
    Final: Chicago

Dallas and Miami could flip- flop though. I would like that better actually due to the grass surface.

25. ironduke555

ironduke555 New Member

May 30, 2004
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a big thanks again for no Charlotte NC