2013 Gold Cup in Mexico who is with me?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by ceezmad, Jul 9, 2011.

1. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Completely agree having the gold cup hosted by all 3 North American countries makes no sense for this type of competition it will just make it a complete joke not an actual regional title.

2. Agudelo_for_MVP

Agudelo_for_MVP BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    All of you have good ideas, but you have to realize the Gold Cup is the big money maker tournament within North America for CONCACAF. There is no way that they are going to risk losing money to have it in a Central American country. CONCACAF likes having it in the USA because the USA has fans of every country that will be able to attend the game without a lot of travel, big stadiums that bring more fans, and overall any way you look at it having the Gold Cup in the USA gives CONCACAF the most money when its all said and done.

I am against having the Gold Cup in Mexico, though. It is nearly impossible to win in the Azteca, and Mexico would be impossible to beat because the final will be played in the Azteca, and Mexico will not be beat before the Final, so they will have the advantage of playing at the Azteca. The stats don't lie, even the best teams in the world have trouble beating Mexico in the Azteca. Having it in Mexico also does not give fans of other countries as good of a chance to attend the games as in the USA. Mexico will have 99% of the fans in every game, and the crowd in the Azteca is ruthless, which is part of why its so hard to win there. The Gold Cup is supposed to be a tournament that gives every team in CONCACAF a chance to win, but having it in Mexico just does not give anyone that chance. I am sorry, but nobody in CONCACAF can beat the Mexico A Team at the Azteca, and probably only the USA has a chance at beating the Mexico B team at the Azteca.

Regardless of how fair it is or not, the tournament will not be held in Mexico any time soon. Its all about money, and the USA widens the pockets of CONCACAF so much more than any other possible venue in North America.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica is the only Concacaf team to beat Mexico at the azteca.

Mexico A team will play the Confederations cup, so it would be a Mexico B team for 2013.

4. Agudelo_for_MVP

Agudelo_for_MVP BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I realize that Costa Rica has beat Mexico at the Azteca, but I doubt that Costa Rica could beat them again at the Azteca. I don't think any CONCACAF team can win at the Azteca against the Mexico A Team. Also, I only think the USA could beat the Mexico B team at the Azteca. Costa Rica is getting better, but anyone that thinks they are good enough to beat the USA or Mexico on the road consistently is crazy. CONCACAF has two big dogs who are by far the best, regardless of who you rank as the better team(Mexico or the USA), and the rest are good enough to beat Mexico and the USA at home, but they won't be winning consistently on the road against either team. Everyone loses an occasional game once in a while, but Mexico will not be losing to teams like Costa Rica, El Salvador, Panama, Honduras any more than once every 10 times at home. Same goes for the USA. They are not as invincible as Mexico at home, but how often do they lose to those teams at home. They lose maybe once every ten years at home to those teams.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Gotta spread the Gold Cup around.

Mexico or Canada this time please.................

6. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. but i do agree that it needs to be spead around. Canada, Mexico, Central america or Caribbean.

7. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The guaranteed sell-out of Mexico games at NFL stadiums means it will stay in the US. If CONCACAF wanted to try Canada, it might work, there's significant Central American populations in Toronto and Montreal (both of which have a smaller SSS as well as a larger football stadium) -- or at least a group in each city (and maybe a quarterfinal not involving Mexico or the US).

From a less practical perspective, it would be neat to see a co-hosting job in Central America or a "West Indies" bid like the Cricket World Cup a few years ago.

8. MattWoodworth

MattWoodworth New Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless CONCACAF get new heads that are actually about the game and not the $$$,then it will stay here in the US.

Also,while we are talking about a change here:

EVERYONE should go through qualification:Just because Spain,Germany,and the Netherlands are the top 3/the best in UEFA,doesn't mean they automatically qualify for Euro.It might sound stupid,but it adds to the prestige of winning the Gold Cup because of the road taken there.

Host it every four years:Again,this will add to the prestige of winning the Gold Cup.Although the date will be hard decide because of World Cup,Confederations Cup,etc.

9. soca_warrior

soca_warrior New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't mind the Gold Cup being every 2 years but the 4 year idea may actually be a good one. It might actually make the teams take the tournament more seriously and send full squads to compete. Every 4 years about 1 year after the World Cup perhaps? So 2015, 2019, 2023 etc. That can work. ESPECIALLY if the hosting is changed. 2015 hosted in Canada, 2019 in Costa Rica, 2023 in Mexico, 2027 in Trinidad...why not?

Personally I would change the name completely as well if these changes were ever made. Call it the Concacaf Championship or something. The name Gold Cup is just associated with a big joke to me now.

As for qualifying I 100% agree as well. The worst thing about it is, you compared it to Europe and said the best 3 doesn't automatically qualify there. Well in Concacaf Canada isn't top 3...and haven't been for a very long time. So why are they automatic qualifiers? Makes no sence. Full qualifying with groups and a draw and everything. Let's make it legit!

10. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    It used to be called the Concacaf Championship. I doubt they'll go back to that.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah I do not think there is a need for quals (they would help on the FIFA raking) I say make it a 16 team tournament all 10 Continental nations and allow the CFU to hold an elimination tournament for the other 6.

CFU elimination the year after the world cup (maybe 6 groups with the winners advancing)

Then the Gold Cup the same year as the Euros.

Other wise if they do want elimination rounds for all then cut it to an 8 team tournament.

10 continental’s nations eliminate each other to 4.5
    CFU elimination to 3.5

5th North-Central American vs 4th CFU for the 8th spot.

12. juggernaut

juggernaut New Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    I hate the Gold Cup because Mexico and USA are basically playing at home and every time it looks likes its fix for USA and Mexico to be in the Finals.

The other teams have no shot at winning when 90% of the stadium is full of Mexicans in city's like Chicago Dallas or LA where all Mexicans live.Its all about the Money so I think its impossible for them to move it and personally I'm afraid I might die if I go Mexico.So if they are gonna beat us I rather get beat in a safe place.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of the countries that normally qualify for the Gold Cup, which ones other than Mexico would have the most fans at the games if the tournament was in Mexico?

14. MattWoodworth

MattWoodworth New Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know who's going to start crying if it's held in that cycle.So different years.

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  16. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Canada is probably the most likely to host on their own in 2105. Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and maybe Edmonton could do it.

LGRod repped this.
  17. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    I could see one group play out of Ottawa & Montreal another Toronto & Hamilton then a 3rd group out west.

18. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    47,000+ was the average attendence at the last Gold Cup in the USA. If the tournement is held in Mexico the only big crowds will be for the Mexican National team games. Canada maybe an alterative but they will still not get the crowds that the USA will. It's all about the money. We should have the venues out by late this year or early next. BTW the organizing committie is being chaired by Sunil Gualti. So if you think it's going to be played anywhere else but in the USA your probably wrong

19. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think there is anyone here who thinks the 2013 edition will be outside the USA.
    According to the article posted there could be a chance the 2015 one is held outside the USA. Or at least they are exploring the idea.

If that is the case Canada could host it. You are right, it probably won't be as profitable but it still could be a success.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada has the 2015 Womens world cup, so that may leave them out, or at least it will make it hard with the Gold cup, CFL and the W. World cup in the same stadiums in a short time span.

CFL starts end of June.