2013 Gold Cup in Mexico who is with me?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by ceezmad, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who wants to see the 2013 Gold cup final in Azteca Stadium?

2. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the FMF want to see it?

3. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Probably don't even care. But matches in Azteca is a whole other level. Just watch the U-17 WC final tomorrow.

4. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point's got nothing to do with Azteca. My point is the ranking of the federations who want to see the Gold Cup in the US every time goes roughly like this...

1. All the Caribbean nations
    2. All the central American nations
    3. Mexico
    4. Canada
    5. US

Then, factor in this Gold Cup was the most-watched and most-attended (presumably most-profitable) one ever and CONCACAF's less likely than ever to put it somewhere else and risk the cash cow.

Given the (ESPN) media attention this tournament got, it's pretty likely ESPN/ABC/Disney will be interested in outbidding Fox Soccer for future TV rights. ESPN's missed out on the last 3 US/Mex. matches (the '09 and '11 Gold Cup finals and the WCQ in Azteca) yet covered the heck out of them.

For example this June, ESPN covered the Gold Cup on all its platforms and shows more than the Stanley Cup Finals (NBC/Versus). ESPN effectively said, "soccer > NHL as far as younger demographics (money-spending and longer-term audience as opposed to say, the average age of a baseball fan these days) and this is something we have to be on board with because it's growing with or without us."

Buying the TV rights still perhaps assumes ESPN can send its crews and sell advertisers on the tournament being in NYC, LA, Dallas, Chicago, etc. (nearly no expense and max income) instead of Mexico City, Kingston or Saprissa. Soccer's growing all the time, but this is still the Gold Cup.

ESPN - Look, Mr. godaddy.com, don't worry about what it's called or what the winner gets or whatever the Conferderation Cup is. All you need to know is it's going to be a month's worth of games with crowds of 80K (the US games will be 30K, but the Mexico games will be 80K but details, details) mostly in California and Texas and ratings from 3.0-7.0, and that's when it was on TV channels most Americans have never heard of, it'll be bigger now that we have it.

or....

ESPN - No, it's not the World Cup Mr. godaddy.com. And yes, it's in Guatemala in a dimmy-lit stadium. It can't be in HD. The U.S. games will start at 10:30 p.m. eastern time and the U.S. starts out by playing Grenada and Nicaragua. (so the 3rd doubleheader in that group is Grenada vs. Nicaragua/US vs. Costa Rica. Televising US vs. Costa Rica is pretty good, but The World Series of Hot Dog Barfing Contests > Grenada vs. Nicaragua)

Once CONCACAF (read - the 30 Caribbean federations with bigger envelopes for Aruba et. al.) partners with ESPN, keeping that slice of the profit pie coming becomes a priority. I'd assume the FMF will appreciate the added income it gets, too.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget ESPN, the money is with Univision, More people watch the Gold cup in the Spanish channels than in the English ones.

I guess ESPN could bid and have games in ESPNDeportes, but I do not think Univision would let ESPN out bid them for Spanish language rights.

6. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Telemundo can outbid Univision.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telemundo is NBC right?

8. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the net values of what ESPN would have to pay for English language rights, or more accurately, what Fox Soccer's been able to bid up until now, compared to Univision for Spanish. I'm sure you're right at the moment. My totally unfounded, Big Soccer-based opinion is Fox Soccer's been able to get the Gold Cup for peanuts.
    The potential for growth is with ESPN through. Even if ESPN didn't surpass Univision, the main idea is CONCACAF isn't going to pass up anything that equals more money wherever it comes from.
    ESPN is a more lucrative partner with the tournament in U.S. vs. Mexico and especially vs. Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, etc. etc. Univision's on board and a stable partner either way.

9. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yes.

they can do a combine bid for both rights, if you can get your white buddies to watch the games more and increase the ratings.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could I also tell my black, yellow and brown buddies?

11. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah, as many as you can.:D

12. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You want this piece of shit federation to keep growing or no?

Then get this piece of shit cup some respect and get it the ******** outta the US and change that ugly trophy, ffs.

I say ******** the cash and add some respect to this awful, awful cup. But then, again nevermind it is a business.

Having it in Mexico isn't even the best option. We don't particularly give two shits for this thing, so somewhere else would be better.

Besides all you prissy SAWKER fans are gonna bitch about how unclassy everyone is, and how above the fray and horse you all are.

13. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, why the anger?

I understand having the tournament hosted by a different country each time is better. It would be better for the US's growth to play more often in hostile stadiums.

It would be better to have the last group games played simultaneously.

It would be better if the US, Mexico and Canada had to go through qualifying.

It would be better if the final tournament was eight or 10 teams instead of 12.

It would be better if CONCACAF didn't rig the groups and brackets to make sure U.S. vs. Mexico can't happen until the final.

It would be better if the tournament was every four years.

Why do you think any of that's my argument? Why do you think I'm really arguing about anything? I don't get any of the cash.

I'm saying - money rules everything in CONCACAF. There was more money for all parties with this Gold Cup, the umpteenth straight one in the US. It would be shocking to have everyone in CONCACAF (Mexico included) suddenly make a decision based on SAWKER or principles next time around. I'm hoping right along with you though.

14. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sorry, mang. I apologize if I seemed mad, bro.:eek::eek:

That being said, I don't think US, CAN and MEX should go through qualification. Why have to go through that gigantic waste of time?

Besides, making this in Mexico won't work. I really doubt people would attend for this thing. I'd really like to see some joint hosts type things.

15. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    Ceezmad, I'm on to you.

I think this guy wants the gold cup in Mexico in 2013 because he knows the Mexicans will be in Brazil fighting in the confederations cup, bringing along their full strength squad. Leaving what is essentially a weakened squad to play at Azteca, ....against an American squad thirsty and desperate for a result in Mexico.

Am I wrong in assuming this about you ceezmad?

Do me a favor guy, if you're a Nad fan, leave it at that, and don't two face us anymore okay? Thanks.

16. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    AND THE PLOT THICKENS!!!

Shit, got interesting.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can't I cheer on the Mexican Confederation team in Brazil 2013 and then cheer on the USA team in Gold Cup Mexico 2013?

I see nothing wrong with that, I have made clear that the USA is my #1 team; Mexico is my #2 team.

18. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i want the gold cup in central america not mexico,i still think there is not merit in mexico winning it in mexico or USA,for the good of the mexican team i want a challenge,so i want it in central america, BUT I KNOW IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN CAUSE THIS SHITTY CONFEDRATION ONLY WANTS MONEY.

19. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Just by reading this,I can tell that you are a USMNT supporter...

20. mixtil36

mixtil36 Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Corona, CA
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What Central American country has the stadiums to support the Gold Cup? Mexico has a couple of newer soccer stadiums; Estadio Ominilife, Estadio Corona and Estadio Caliente (to name a few) and have a large enough venue to host the final? Maybe Costa Rica? Or a joined venture between two countries?

21. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    two hosts and use Gold cup proceeds from previous cup to help them build stadiums. Given the crappy attendance at the Gold cups in games, other than Mexico's, I don't think there would be any money lost in tickets, and Considering the Gold Cup tickets are like $5, I'm sure the same could be charged in central america or lower it a little bit and still make more.

22. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    well for instance we are not talking about a major or even a half pretigious tourney here,it has very little credibility,so you cant really ask for much,i would say give it to any central american country who ask for it,but costa rica alone could do it,this tourney doesnt need 5 or 6 stadiums of 70 000, only 1 national stadium plus 2 medium size stadiums could do it, the problem is that some people think that this tourney has credibility but it doesnt,the tourney still is little more than garbage.

other central american countries could co-host,i think people down there can freely travel between their countries,well of course that is if you want to make it a legit tourney and not just a fixed money grab joke of a tourney.

what does mexico gain by hosting it anyway ? let the others play too,that way the tourney could gain at least a little bit of credibility.

23. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good, thanks

24. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006