2013 FIFA Confederations Cup: Group Stage [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]
    15 - 30 June

Tournament Home on FIFA.com

Group A
    Brazil (Host)
    Japan (AFC)
    Mexico (CONCACAF)
    Italy (UEFA)

Group B
    Spain (WC)
    Uruguay (CONMEBOL)
    Tahiti (OFC)
    Nigeria (CAF)

Mod Note: Keep it civil.

2. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thank you. The last few threads were inexplicably taken over by a few English fans talking about England for some reason lol o_O . Back to real business. A lot of iconic/legendary nations participating in this tournament: Brazil, Spain, Uruguay, and Italy. Also, Mexico and Japan + Nigeria should be fun to watch. Big fan of Japanese football, so I hope they do well. This might be the most fun Confed Cup of all time IMO :)

Unak78 repped this.
  3. gummy-bear83

gummy-bear83 Member

May 24, 2010
    Piombino, Tuscany.
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Had New Zealand qualified, it would be perfect, but Tahiti won OFC cup, so they deserve to be here. I hope they can keep the scoreline low.

4. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    I will drop the gauntlet and say Brasil will get eliminated in the group stages. It hurts me to say this but lately our form has no been that good. Mexico will play hard against us. They are confident since they have beaten us twice. Italy is a tough team. The matches against Chile and England has given me no confidence in this team.

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The teams and how they qualified.

FIFA
    30 October 2007: Brazil named host country for 2014 World Cup
    [​IMG]

FIFA
    11 July 2010: Spain celebrate after winning 2010 World Cup.
    [​IMG]

AFC
    29 January 2011: Japan celebrate after winning 2011 AFC Asian Cup.
    [​IMG]

CONCACAF
    25 June 2011: Mexico celebrate after winning 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
    [​IMG]

CONMEBOL
    24 July 2011: Uruguay celebrate after winning 2011 Copa America.
    [​IMG]

OFC
    10 June 2012: Tahiti celebrate after winning 2012 OFC Nations Cup.
    [​IMG]

UEFA
    28 June 2012: Italy celebrate after reaching UEFA Euro 2012 final.
    (The other finalist, Spain, had already qualified as 2010 World Cup winners, assuring their opponent in the final a place in the tournament.)
    [​IMG]

CAF
    10 February 2013: Nigeria celebrate after winning the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.
    [​IMG]

6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    There is no way Brazil will not qualify. Both Italy and Mexico have been in poor form. Japan has had poor results recently as well although it may be due to the fact that they already qualified for the WC.

7. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a crazy statement. You must work for FIFA rankings that has them at all time low of 22nd despite having the best back four I can ever remember a selecao having. Let's see what Brazil team paying a non friendly match for the first time in almost 2 years looks like. My preview has them winning the Confederations Cup - but what do I know
    http://www.golazovideos.com/2013-confederations-cup-why-brazil-will-win/

Most interesting teams to watch from US perspective have to be El Tri (does the train wreck stop or does Chepo get fired) and Japan (don't get to seem them often so might be under rating Samurai Blue).

Of course Italy should be fantastic to watch given their talent and potential of Balotelli to something great or crazy at any moment. Uruguay might be dangerous too as I suspect being suspended will make Suarez hungry to do something special (or horrible). Spain are loaded, Nigeria would be interesting but have too many injuries IMO and Tahiti are the sacrificial lamb.

I CAN'T WAIT. Should be best football of summer as I suspect every team wants to win more so than past Confederations Cups due to differing factors.

8. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm living in a University residence this summer and I'm completely surrounded by Europeans (French, Irish (especially), English, German, Latvian, Dutch etc). I'm frankly a bit surprise that there's such general excitement over this year's Confederations Cup. From what they tell me, I've gathered their general opinions of each team:

Group A
    - Brazil: A lot of respect for Brazil, who many view as the all time greatest football nation. Most I spoke to don't really know that Brazil's been "struggling" as of late. Brazil has such a "mystique" that most Europeans feel they'll be back to "normal" at any moment. People will always be "in awe" of Brazil. We've been inundated with their magic for so many decades that they're impossible to underrate.

- Japan: This one stems from a general fascination with the "mystery" that is Japanese football. Most can't name 3-4 players from the NT, but they have massive respect for their passion and rapid progress since the 90s. Remember that people in Europe can't wake up early to watch Japan play, so these tournaments are a rare treat for them to watch the "Samurai Blue". Also "anime" is big amongst people in their 20s, so they have another reason to cheer for them. :thumbsup:

- Mexico: Generally, that Mexico will do very well in the group stage, but flunk when they play a game that (as the Italians say) "is played with a knife between their teeth" (IE: a big game, an elimination game). Considering Mexico's history in the World Cups and Copa americas, this is pretty accurate. Considering their population (110+ million), this could be their big chance to "shed" that "ultimate underachievers" tag. I wish them well.

- Italy: Growing up in England, my view of Italy is very different (i've noticed) from most Europeans outside lol. I respect their grit, history, mystique for the "big games", but they're basically public enemy #1 in this tournament (judging by the 20-30 ppl I've spoken to). lol. A LOT of Italians in Toronto (where I'm staying) though. I suspect they'll make it top 4, but it will be a struggle with Japan around.

Group B
    - Spain: utmost respect for their current team. Many consider them the greatest NT squad of all time. There seems to be some bitterness involved. I get the feeling that they're sick of Spain, but can't help but admit they're amazing. The Italians really don't like them though lol. :laugh:

- Uruguay: Absolute fascination from nearly everyone I've spoken to. In Europe, Uruguay's considered a footballing miracle. Their famous 100 + year history/mystique is on par with all the legendary nations, and they only have 1/2 the population of Scotland. o_O Most are watching them with a lot of interest as always.

- Tahiti : Not much, sadly. No one knows much about them, but they hope to see them cause a surprise or 2.

-Nigeria: People I've spoken to have a big soft spot for African football. A few are predicting that they may be a surprise winner. Others were glad to finally see Nigeria back at the top of African football (after Ghana's short rise recently). A lot of people have great memories of Nigeria's special team in 1998 when we were kids. They might be the most popular African team based on that alone.

aguy2die4 and Car123 repped this.
  9. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  10. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Semi final prediction

Spain vs italy

Brazil vs uruguay

Should be exciting.

11. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC

I am a Brazuka though and through. The problem for me is that our recent form has not been that great. We have not been consistent. Plus the last time we played Italy it ended 2-2. Mexico has beatne us twice in a row so their confidence is high. We have alot of youth talent however Neymar has regressed so badly since the year started it is frightening. I really do not expect us to win the Confed Cup or the World Cup next year. It seems the hiring of Scolari was too little too late. I am not the only one. In Brasil the sentiment is that we can't compete with the like of Spain or Italy.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Pretty excited for this tournament.

Predictions for this one? I'm going Brasil 2-1.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Wow, what a goal from Neymar. Can't stand this guy but what a goal.

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately for them at the moment, I don't think Mexico could score a goal if you placed the ball on the spot and took away the keeper...they do have a spectacular keeper in Corona, however, so they'll always stay in the match.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The Japanese respect these guys WAY too much. Their obsession with the Brazilian game is sort of showing through right now, they look petrified outside of Honda.

16. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Someone please hack the shit out of Neymar and Dani Alves...

ImaPuppy repped this.
  17. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Pitch looks pretty dreadful.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  18. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008

x2, +1, etc. But look at all the space Japan are giving them

ImaPuppy repped this.
  19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

I was thinking the same thing, its really taking away from the passing quality. Bounces every 3 yards.

20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    My 20 minute observations:

-Japan either sucks, is jet lagged, or inexplicably star struck

-The Brasillian players don't seem to like each other very much. Body language is betraying their indifference at best to each other

-Hulk, Oscar and David Luiz are the best players Brasil have. Neymar looks surprisingly slow, and despite the awesome goal, anytime he tries to actually take someone on who isn't 5 yards off, he's dispossessed.

-I'm sad that Dani Alves isn't wearing his snood/neck cushion anymore.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Brasil looking a little vulnerable. They are resulting to hacking the Japanese players to stifle transition/counter play but Japan are still creating a few chances.

22. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see Julio Cesar letting in a soft goal in this game. He's had some poor clearances.

23. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    When was the last time you saw a Brazilian team dropping 9-10 guys behind the ball like that? Pretty wild.

I like Fred, fwiw. Paulinho seems like a player too.

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008

They aren't really very good. Whole is far less than the sum of its parts.

25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Yeah, to be fair I think I the pitch is making these teams look a lot worse than they are. It is in really terrible shape. Almost impossible to play balls along the ground to get a clean touch.